Front Speaker Placement - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 04-04-2012, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BrutalBodyShots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Hey everyone. I'm upgrading from a 56" TV to a 70" TV which will be delivered tomorrow. One thing I didn't really think long and hard about first was how the larger TV would impact my front speakers (L&R).

My listening position is 16' from the TV, and currently the front 2 channels are on either side of my 56" on speaker stands. This puts them only 8' apart or so with the center channel centered between them of course. I was thinking that at a listening position 16' from the TV I could afford to have the front channels farther apart without doing any damage to SQ right? With the 70" TV being a good deal bigger it doesn't seem realistic to keep the speakers in their current locations... so I feel moving them both farther away from the TV is the way to go. Based on this limited information, how far apart do you think the fronts should be? I don't want them to get so far apart that they begin to seem like side channels if that makes sense... thanks everyone!
BrutalBodyShots is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 04-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Senior Member
 
hakstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Jax, FL.
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Personally, I don't think there is a definitive answer. Move them a little and see if it makes a difference. Also try toeing in or out. I've moved my speakers dozens of times. I'm at about 90% of perfect. Room acoustics also plays a part.

hakstone is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 04-04-2012, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,514
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 293
The center-to-center distance between front speakers should be somewhat less than the distance from each speaker to your ears. Any further apart and you get the "hole-in-the-middle" effect. Then you really need a center speaker.

If you have a center speaker anyway, it is less critical, but I would still try to stay with that rule.



Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalBodyShots View Post

Hey everyone. I'm upgrading from a 56" TV to a 70" TV which will be delivered tomorrow. One thing I didn't really think long and hard about first was how the larger TV would impact my front speakers (L&R).

My listening position is 16' from the TV, and currently the front 2 channels are on either side of my 56" on speaker stands. This puts them only 8' apart or so with the center channel centered between them of course. I was thinking that at a listening position 16' from the TV I could afford to have the front channels farther apart without doing any damage to SQ right? With the 70" TV being a good deal bigger it doesn't seem realistic to keep the speakers in their current locations... so I feel moving them both farther away from the TV is the way to go. Based on this limited information, how far apart do you think the fronts should be? I don't want them to get so far apart that they begin to seem like side channels if that makes sense... thanks everyone!

commsysman is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 04-04-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
craig john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 10,583
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 493


22 to 30 degrees.

Craig
LL

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

craig john is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 04-04-2012, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BrutalBodyShots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Thanks for the replies guys.

Craig John - I've been running my fronts way too close together it seems for years... probably about 10 degrees to either side. If I weren't able to fall quite into the 22-30 degree range, but could do about 35 think that would sound better than my current 10 degrees? I feel like they currently are way too close to the center channel which makes for a very small sound stage.
BrutalBodyShots is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 04-04-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
craig john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 10,583
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 493
The 22 to 30 degree recommendation comes from the likes of Dolby, DTS, THX, etc. Can you move the seating closer to the display?

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

craig john is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 04-04-2012, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Nethawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Actually THX recommendation is 45 degrees. I prefer a bit more separation between center and fronts myself, and at 16' the wider soundstage might be appreciated. However, at 16' its going to be difficult getting enough spread between fronts to reach a 45' angle (16' in fact). I'd just play around with it until you're happy.

Nethawk is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 04-05-2012, 05:52 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
craig john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 10,583
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Actually THX recommendation is 45 degrees. I prefer a bit more separation between center and fronts myself, and at 16' the wider soundstage might be appreciated. However, at 16' its going to be difficult getting enough spread between fronts to reach a 45' angle (16' in fact). I'd just play around with it until you're happy.

They recommend 45 degrees as viewed from the main listening position. IOW, each speaker would be at 22.5 degrees from the centerline, which is in line with what Dolby and DTS recommend.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

craig john is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 04-05-2012, 06:06 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member
 
ap1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,260
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post


They recommend 45 degrees as viewed from the main listening position. IOW, each speaker would be at 22.5 degrees from the centerline, which is in line with what Dolby and DTS recommend.

Craig

THX recomendation assumes that ALL front speakers are within width of the screen in case of 16/9 format. That is why in case of 2.35/1 it is recommended to have another "front wide" pair. Both of these assumptions are irrelevant in case of TV viewing in typical living room, where 30 degrees from center to left and right speakers are a good option. It will also work well for music listening in stereo.
ap1 is online now  
post #10 of 14 Old 04-05-2012, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BrutalBodyShots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethawk View Post

Actually THX recommendation is 45 degrees. I prefer a bit more separation between center and fronts myself, and at 16' the wider soundstage might be appreciated. However, at 16' its going to be difficult getting enough spread between fronts to reach a 45' angle (16' in fact). I'd just play around with it until you're happy.

Really 45? I could put them at 45, but that would essentially put them at the half way point between my center channel and side surrounds... wouldn't that make them sound a bit too far to the sides? Hummmm
BrutalBodyShots is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 04-05-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
holt7153's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: City of Angels
Posts: 3,371
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalBodyShots View Post

Really 45? I could put them at 45, but that would essentially put them at the half way point between my center channel and side surrounds... wouldn't that make them sound a bit too far to the sides? Hummmm

No, read Craig's reply a few posts up.

*************************
In dog beers, I've only had one.
holt7153 is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 04-05-2012, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
BrutalBodyShots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Gotcha. That makes more sense.
BrutalBodyShots is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 04-05-2012, 06:13 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
craig john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 10,583
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

THX recomendation assumes that ALL front speakers are within width of the screen in case of 16/9 format. That is why in case of 2.35/1 it is recommended to have another "front wide" pair. Both of these assumptions are irrelevant in case of TV viewing in typical living room, where 30 degrees from center to left and right speakers are a good option. It will also work well for music listening in stereo.

THX doesn't make reference to screen size or aspect ratio. Here's what they say:



Quote:


Front Left & Right Speakers (L & R): Place the Front Left and Right speakers at ear height, producing a 45° angle as viewed from the main seat. This delivers a wide sound stage and precise localization of individual sounds.

http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-ent...peaker-set-up/

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

craig john is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 02-17-2013, 06:05 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
bobpaule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: US
Posts: 1,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Definitely less than distance from drivers to ear!

I have just been dealing with the "hole in the middle"
effect after my HT remodel. S8s got to sit 130" apart
and 109" from ears, not a pretty 2 channel experience.

Moving them 100" apart made a world of difference. Oh
yes, the C5 works well, but i only watch movies about
50% of time, and wouldn't want to miss out on those 2 ch
SACDs.
bobpaule is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off