Corner Setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-05-2012, 02:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All. So after looking all over the internet to find some help, thought I make an account and ask for your help I am currently setting up an office/living room and since I have always been a video/audio fanatic thought I should put together a home cinema system. However, I have a slight problem....corner sofa! I am attaching a proposed set up I am thinking about giving a shot...the red squares are obviously speakers (I forgot the centre one). What do you think? Any proposals? Also, I haven't bought the sofa yet so if you have any ideas, please share.

Should I go for a 7.1 and include another speaker in the corner just behind the sofa?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
I would place one speaker above the wardrobe and the other adjacent to it. Keeping both speakers on the side wall but near rear of room. Stay with a 5.1 setup.

Shawn
Old 04-05-2012, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Is this what you're proposing? What about equidistance between the sofa and the rear left speaker and the sofa and the rear right speaker? Also, the wardrobe will be couple of inches from the roof (about 3 inches).
Old 04-05-2012, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Getting there... I would try the speakers at about the area where the corner of the couch is.... What receiver do you have? If you have one with room correction software like Audyssey, YPAO, MCCAC; run it and it will help out a lot.

Yeah that's not a perfect setup but most ppl don't have perfect setups unless its a dedicated theater room. So you just gotta make the best of what you have.

Also if you wanna do 7.1 if your receiver supports front wides or heights you could look into that.

Shawn
Old 04-05-2012, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

Getting there... I would try the speakers at about the area where the corner of the couch is.... What receiver do you have? If you have one with room correction software like Audyssey, YPAO, MCCAC; run it and it will help out a lot.

Yeah that's not a perfect setup but most ppl don't have perfect setups unless its a dedicated theater room. So you just gotta make the best of what you have.

Also if you wanna do 7.1 if your receiver supports front wides or heights you could look into that.

Can you move the couch up and over toward the center of the room?

Are you tied to a sectional? Perhaps couch and two chairs instead?

Can you receiver do 7.1? If so you can have sides and rears which can provide a more diffuse sound field, although it would work better if you can get the sofa off the rear wall.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't bought the couch and the speaker system yet so i'm pretty flexible. As regards surround system, I was looking at the Onkyo HT-S4505 which seems to have a 'good-enough' specs. Thoughts? 7.1 is definitely a possibility if it provides a better 'solution'.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Also, I have a pair of Pioneer HPM-110. Do you suggest that I use them as the front left/right or should I just stick to the 5.1/7.1 speakers I buy?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galkno3 View Post

I haven't bought the couch and the speaker system yet so i'm pretty flexible. As regards surround system, I was looking at the Onkyo HT-S4505 which seems to have a 'good-enough' specs. Thoughts? 7.1 is definitely a possibility if it provides a better 'solution'.

Do you have room dimensions?
Old 04-05-2012, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I would recommend going with in-ceiling speakers and planning on using 7.1. The only problem with in-ceiling is, once they are set up, they cannot me moved, so plan accordingly. However, the benefit, would be that you could get the sides and rear surrounds close to the main listing position.

Also, where are you planning on putting the subwoofer? In the front, or rear?
Old 04-05-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Room dimension: 4.27m x 4.03m (the TV wall being the 4.03 m)

Unfortunately I have just finished the ceiling so in-ceiling speakers are not a possibility i'm afraid. I was planning on placing the subwoofer under the TV on the bottom shelf i.e. center front.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Room dimension: 4.27m x 4.03m (the TV wall being the 4.03 m)

Unfortunately I have just finished the ceiling so in-ceiling speakers are not a possibility i'm afraid. I was planning on placing the subwoofer under the TV on the bottom shelf i.e. center front.

I highly advise not placing the sub like that. It should not be on or in anything. Unless you buy or make an isolation platform. Try moving the sub around the room and listening once you get it. Wherever it sounds best if you don't mind the location keep it there.

Also what is your budget?

Shawn
Old 04-05-2012, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
How about this 7. layout? (maroon)

Using your AVR's settings, you could compensate for the unequal spacing.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add the LCR & sub, but you get the jist.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Budget is ~ $650 for receiver and speakers (pretty tight I know :/). If I could include my pair of HPM-110 and invest the money saved in a better receiver/subwoofer or something....

Underminded, that's exactly what i had in mind when I was considering 7.1 system! With my tight budget I'll try to go for a 5.1 since 7.1 are more expensive hence I can get a better quality 5.1. However, if I find that a 7.1 beats a 5.1 by far (as regards layout and such) I'll definitely consider the setup you suggested! Thanks!

Flickhtguru, I will consider placing the subwoofer on the floor under the desk then. Shouldn't cause vibrations and such. How does that sound? I will definitely see where it sounds best once I purchase the system. Still doing my research though as regards to which system should I buy.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Well its possible that it will sound best in the back corner behind your couch.

Shawn
Old 04-05-2012, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Here's a redesign now in real scale with your speaker positioning proposals. The only problem is the position of the left surround speaker since it cannot be placed in line with the right surround speaker due to the wardrobe's doors.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here's a redesign now in real scale with your speaker positioning proposals. The only problem is the position of the left surround speaker since it cannot be placed in line with the right surround speaker due to the wardrobe's doors.

Move couch / speakers(preferred approach) or just the side speakers forward to the desk.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

so you're saying i move the surround speakers towards the desk. I cannot move the couch because I'm gonna have a chair at the desk. This will result in an angle of less than 90 degrees. Do you think that will have a great effect? Furthermore, is it a big deal if the left and right surround speakers are not at the same level? E.g. the right surround speaker is set on a stand just above the ear while the left surround speaker is placed on one of the shelves on top of the desk.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Having them a bit in front of the couch isn't a huge deal. They really should be at the same height. You also need to set them so there is no interference off to one side.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for your reply swampfox!
Old 04-09-2012, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

In case someone has a similar room layout to mine, I managed to come up with a somewhat 'ideal' layout/setup if I may say so thanks to the suggestions above!! Attaching the new layout for reference.