Recommended XLR's for Catalysts 12Cs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 61 Old 04-07-2012, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
What wires would be good to connect the powered catalysts 12c to my pre/pro? I wanted to stay completely balanced, the longest run I would need is about 40 feet or so. I've been looking at all kinds of XLR cables and, or course, the price ranges quite a bit. I know you don't have to spend a fortune for good cables, but I also don't know what is junk, and what is good.

On the Seaton site, Mark Seaton reccommends these:

http://www.markertek.com/Cables/Audi...C50XXJ-B.xhtml

I found these on Monoprice:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...=2#description

And for my Mobile DJ powered speakers, I dropped some serious cash for these, and after joining these forums, found out I probably wasted my money....

http://www.samash.com/p/Mogami_Gold%...Lengths_437201

So basically, what XLR cable would you guys recommend using for the powered cats? Is the mono price stuff good? Is what Mark Seaton recommends any better then the mono price?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 04-07-2012, 03:32 PM

Liked: 32
The monoprice cables are good for the price. Go with what fits your pocketbook. It is going to get written off as a business expense anyways, if this is for a business, not personal use. For the price of the monoprice cables, it is always good to keep some extras on hand, so that if you have a problem during the middle of a set, it does not shut you down because you only have the one set on hand.
post #3 of 61 Old 04-07-2012, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sorry, should have been more specific. These cables are for home use in a home theater system. I want to get the best I can get, which I noticed doesn't seem to be related to price. Would there be any audible difference between the cables, or is it all the same mumbo jumbo.
post #4 of 61 Old 04-07-2012, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Those are all good solutions. I prefer Mogami Gold Quad Neglex, which is what the industry pros use.
post #5 of 61 Old 04-07-2012, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I was hoping I wouldn't need something as robust and expensive as what I use for my mobile DJ-ing. I need a lot more cable for my home theater then I need for mobile DJ. I'd end up spending 600 on XLR cables if I went with the same cable I bought for my mobile system.
post #6 of 61 Old 04-07-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

Sorry, should have been more specific. These cables are for home use in a home theater system. I want to get the best I can get, which I noticed doesn't seem to be related to price. Would there be any audible difference between the cables, or is it all the same mumbo jumbo.

No there would not be any difference whether you used the monoprice, or some overpriced POS. It will work the same. The only time that it would not, is if the XLR's were crimped connection vs. soldiered, then you could have issues.
post #7 of 61 Old 04-07-2012, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That's good to know. The mono price is looking mighty attractive then. As long as there's no hiss or hum I hear is a problem with cheap XLR's, and it transfers a good clean signal, obviously, ill be happy.

I've been paranoid with cables lately. I bought a cheap RGB cable for my computer monitor, and the picture is terrible. Its completely distorted, colors look faded and coming out of the lines so to speak, and it causes the monitor to make a weird buzzing noise. It was a cheap cable I found on google. Ever since then, I've been scared of cheap cables thinking its too good to be true.
post #8 of 61 Old 04-07-2012, 06:23 PM

monoprice is all that I use, and have not had any problems with their cables. Now of course the backup battery pack for the iPhone 4 they sell, along with their antenna that was on special recently is another story for another thread.
post #9 of 61 Old 04-07-2012, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I have a number of balanced XLR cables from mono price. They are well constructed and a bargain. I recommend them.
post #10 of 61 Old 04-08-2012, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the help guys. I just got 2 HDMI cables and 250 feet of 12 AWG in-wall speaker cable from mono price and it seems like good stuff. I tested the HDMI cables and so far, look good.
post #11 of 61 Old 04-08-2012, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12

Quote:

And for my Mobile DJ powered speakers, I dropped some serious cash for these, and after joining these forums, found out I probably wasted my money....

Well, if they never failed in the middle of a gig, then you didn’t waste your money. (Although the Markertek cables are just as good.)

The problem with the Monoprice cables isn’t that they aren’t well constructed, but that they use cheap connectors. A lot of people make the mistake of buying cheap balanced cables not realizing that the female connectors are junk, living on borrowed time. Take a look at this picture that compares a cheap and quality connector:

The bottom connector is a Switchcraft, the top is some no-name something-or-another. See the little ball at the business end of Switchcraft? The Switchcraft has two of those, and they are spring loaded. The purpose they serve is to maintain a tight pressure connection in the socket they are plugged into.

Now look at the cheap connector. It has no spring loaded balls. All it has is a couple of what I call "bulging tabs" to ensure a good connection (for lack of a better term - one of them seen here circled in green, between the two dark strips). The problem is that over time the tabs collapse, and you end up with a goose-loose connection that has a lot of flex and give. That in turn wallows out the plug's three sockets, which then can easily make and break connection. So basically, the whole mechanical structure of the connector is compromised.

It’s not a coincidence that every mic cable that’s failed in the band I’ve been playing in the past few years – at least five or six of them – the cable had these cheap female connectors.

(Note: Neutrik doesn’t use the spring-loaded ball like Switchcraft does, but they’re nevertheless excellent connectors. The connectors in the Markertek and Sam Ash links in the first post are Neutrik.)

If you look at the close-up picture of the connectors at the Monoprice link above, you can see they’re using these cheap female connectors.

That said, in a home environment where the cables aren’t being connected and disconnected all the time, the Monoprice cables should be reasonably reliable. But at some point they will indeed fail. When that happens you can just solder on a new Switchcraft or Neutrik connector and be back in business.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

post #12 of 61 Old 04-08-2012, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks very much for that info! I always learn something when I come on here lol. I'm gonna go for the cables Mark recommends then. These cables are gonna be built into the walls, I don't really see any XLR cables that are made for that, but I doubt I'll have a problem.
post #13 of 61 Old 04-08-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne A. Pflughaupt View Post

That said, in a home environment where the cables aren't being connected and disconnected all the time, the Monoprice cables should be reasonably reliable. But at some point they will indeed fail. When that happens you can just solder on a new Switchcraft or Neutrik connector and be back in business.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

FWIW: I use the monoprice XLR's as interconnects in my HT. They have been installed for 3 1/2 years without a problem. After looking at the pictures and looking one of the spares I have floating around I see what you mean about the connector. I can see why they would not hold up to the abuse a band would put them through. Yet, in a HT environment where they are moved very infrequently they seem to hold up.
Regards
post #14 of 61 Old 04-08-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Balanced cables are pretty much foolproof in terms of perfect sound quality. Any old pro audio "microphone" cable is usually a good balanced/XLR cable.

Everyone uses the standard AES/EBU cable and connectors, so there is no difference (unlike unbalanced cables...don't get me started on the pitfalls there...lol).

I make all of my own balanced cables; I bought a 500-foot roll of AES/EBU cable and a bag of connectors and heat-shrink tubing and made a bunch as needed.

I use nothing but the Neutrik XLR connectors with gold-plated pins; I think they are the best, and they cost under $4 each. (Neutrik NC3MXX-B and NC3FXX-B).

If you can't make your own, zzounds has Hosa cables in 10, 25, and 50 feet for very good prices; those are very good cables.

Quote:

What wires would be good to connect the powered catalysts 12c to my pre/pro? I wanted to stay completely balanced, the longest run I would need is about 40 feet or so. I've been looking at all kinds of XLR cables and, or course, the price ranges quite a bit. I know you don't have to spend a fortune for good cables, but I also don't know what is junk, and what is good.

On the Seaton site, Mark Seaton reccommends these:

http://www.markertek.com/Cables/Audi...C50XXJ-B.xhtml

I found these on Monoprice:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...=2#description

So basically, what XLR cable would you guys recommend using for the powered cats? Is the mono price stuff good? Is what Mark Seaton recommends any better then the mono price?

post #15 of 61 Old 04-08-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Does the gauge matter when it comes to XLRs? I noticed the Monoprice cables were 16 AWG, and the Hosa you recommended are 20 AWG.

I hate wires lol. Even with all the mono price cables I bought already, and now the XLR's I need, I'm still spending hundreds of dollars on cables because I just need so damn much of it. With tax and shipping on the Markertek website and their cables, it came to nearly $400 bucks!!!! I need 4 (four) 50 foot cables, four 25 foot cables, and one 15 foot cable. 7 speakers around the room, and the 2 subwoofers is 9 XLR cables. I measured the lengths just now of what I would need, and added about 6-8 feet to whatever I measured to make sure I don't get stuck with a short cable, added the appropriate cables to the cart, BOOM!
post #16 of 61 Old 04-08-2012, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Okay, here are the totals. I'd like some "If it was me, I would_________ because_______" if you can.

The total price for XLR cables I would need from Markertek is $379.64

The total price for XLR cables I would need from Monoprice is $146.55

From what you guys are saying, both wires will work the same, with the exception of the connectors. In a home environment where the speakers are going to be connected and stay in place the majority of the time, only to be disconnected if the room is being re-arranged or the speakers need repair, do you think the Neutrik connectors are necessary? If it was for my mobile set up, it would be a no brainer. But is it worth the extra $233.09 for just the better connectors? Then while connected, I'm assuming there would be no difference in performance, right?

So basically, if you were me, do you think it's worth it to drop the extra $233.09 for the Markertek cables? why or why not?
post #17 of 61 Old 04-08-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The Canare and Mogami conductors are first rate, and when I had my own PA system I had tons of it, all of it with Neutrik or Switchcraft connectors. Reason - it was tough and reliable and the connectors stood up to a lot of connections over time, because they did a couple of venues at week sometimes. I hate unreliable gear, and I hate fixing things more and I like getting paid because the job went without a hitch. So, well worth the extra expense.

Now my HT build has a ton of wiring and it uses a mix of old cables being re-used (because I have them), some give away RCA leads (for legacy inputs like VCR, cassette) and some inexpensive but decent no name stuff for the rest. Experience tells me this will be fine as the gear never moves and the cables are supported in the rack.

Save your money. At home reliability is not an issue, nor strong construction, and connectors seldom move. The conductors and shielding on the MP stuff seems adequate from other's reports, so what, apart from brand name do you get from the Markertek stuff?
post #18 of 61 Old 04-08-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay, here are the totals. I'd like some "If it was me, I would_________ because_______" if you can.

The total price for XLR cables I would need from Markertek is $379.64

The total price for XLR cables I would need from Monoprice is $146.55

From what you guys are saying, both wires will work the same, with the exception of the connectors. In a home environment where the speakers are going to be connected and stay in place the majority of the time, only to be disconnected if the room is being re-arranged or the speakers need repair, do you think the Neutrik connectors are necessary? If it was for my mobile set up, it would be a no brainer. But is it worth the extra $233.09 for just the better connectors? Then while connected, I'm assuming there would be no difference in performance, right?

So basically, if you were me, do you think it's worth it to drop the extra $233.09 for the Markertek cables? why or why not?

If it were me, I'd pull bare wire and attach neutrik connectors myself because it's a lot easier pulling unterminated cable through holes and I'm comfortable soldering wire. Actually, this is exactly what I did. I don't think Neutrik connectors are necessary for a HT, but if I'm going though all the trouble of providing my own labor I usually opt for good components. Yet, all my XLR interconnects are monoprice. I've had zero problems with them.

All my HDMI cables are monoprice. I find them so inexpensive I keep them 'in stock' with various lengths and gauges. I also stock monoprice HDMI port savers in various configurations. I hate buying or moving a component and paying retail price at BB for an HDMI cable because I don't have one, ouch.

If you are not able to terminate the cables yourself or don't have some one to do it for you, monoprice XLR are fine for HT.
post #19 of 61 Old 04-08-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't believe a word of what he says in post 17, he'll come home one day and rewire it all in mogami and neutriks after having an aspie OCD moment just so it looks pretty.
post #20 of 61 Old 04-08-2012, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

LMAO!

There are probably 2 things I should mention.

1. These wires are going to be built into the wall. Right now I just finished framing my basement, the electrician will be doing his thing, then I'll be closing the walls. If something goes wrong with a cable for whatever reason, AFTER its in the wall, I'm pretty much screwed. That's one thing that makes me want the higher quality connectors/cables.

2. I read all the reviews for the mono-price cables. I read multiple reviews complain about the cables being noisy and you hear it through the speakers. They say when the cable moves, you will hear crackling through the speakers. It's not one isolated review, but i found multiple reviews saying the same thing. That's another thing that makes me uneasy.
post #21 of 61 Old 04-08-2012, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
These cables from Orange County Speaker are good budget mic cables. They use Neutrik knockoffs rather than Switchcraft knockoffs. You can always buy the bulk cable and real Neutrik connectors and make your own. The cable itself is pretty good, especially for the money. The Mogami cable is still the best of all mentioned.
post #22 of 61 Old 04-08-2012, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yeah, the Mogami cables are nice. I have them for my powered DJ speakers and they are very high quality. If I bought the same Mogami's for my home theater, I'd be looking at about 800 bucks in cables. No way can I swing that.

I bit the bullet on the Markertek cables. I kept going back to how the wires are going to be in the walls and I don't want to have to worry about something going wrong, even if there is a slim chance, because it wouldn't be the simple matter of replacing the cable. I just kind of bit down, closed my eyes and clicked "Place Order." At least they're good cables and not over-priced for what they are.
post #23 of 61 Old 04-08-2012, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 67
Quote:

LMAO!

There are probably 2 things I should mention.

1. These wires are going to be built into the wall. Right now I just finished framing my basement, the electrician will be doing his thing, then I'll be closing the walls. If something goes wrong with a cable for whatever reason, AFTER its in the wall, I'm pretty much screwed. That's one thing that makes me want the higher quality connectors/cables.

2. I read all the reviews for the mono-price cables. I read multiple reviews complain about the cables being noisy and you hear it through the speakers. They say when the cable moves, you will hear crackling through the speakers. It's not one isolated review, but i found multiple reviews saying the same thing. That's another thing that makes me uneasy.

Chance of something happening to the cable inside the wall is pretty slim unless you drive a nail or run a screw through it, in which case the brand isn't going to matter. For your inwall runs I'd use some inwall rated Belden et al. STP, not a bunch of runs of mic cable.

Just because there is a knob doesn't mean you should turn it.
post #24 of 61 Old 04-08-2012, 10:43 PM

For general use any, including the Monoprice, will do fine.

For more critical applications featuring heavy use where they must stand up to abuse and repeated use absolutely go with Neutrik connectors and Mogami Neglex 2534 cable. Second go with the Canare Star Quad cable.

As far as a comparison of Switchcraft and Neutrik,...well, there is 'none'! I wish I could get the time back that I have literally spent changing out flaky Switchcraft for Neutrik connectors. And don't even mention Switchcraft 1/4" phone plugs.....

From the strain relief to the machined/diecast rather than crimped internal construction, Neutrik rules.

Oh, and I would be remiss not to mention the Neutrik EMC (NC3MXX-EMC) connectors also address pin1 problems - meaning they guarantee a continuous RF-shield connection while simultaneously avoiding ground loops as well as including a cable shield-Pin1 connection which includes EMI suppression!!!

This improvement, in addition to basic build quality, make these a 'no brainer'! Ignore the problem at your own risk!

Pin1 Revisited
post #25 of 61 Old 04-08-2012, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

Don't believe a word of what he says in post 17, he'll come home one day and rewire it all in mogami and neutriks after having an aspie OCD moment just so it looks pretty.

Cheeky cow. Must remember to password lock the 'puter.

There is a grain of truth in what she said though. The plan was to wait until my brother had come and done the carpentry to build in the next rack. It must be 'right' or it'll bother me.

She only knows what Mogami and Neutrik are after I rewired all her instrument racks for her after she bought the Fairlight III.

Otherwise +1 to whoaru and dragon.

If the Markertek stuff makes you feel better because of the in wall, it's worth the extra, which you'll forget soon enough
post #26 of 61 Old 04-09-2012, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Someone got onto your "puter" huh? lol

It makes me feel a bit at ease about going with the more "durable" of the two wires I was looking at. Hopefully I made the right choice.

Even if not, I'm gonna pretend I did in my mind to justify the Marketek over the Monoprice lol.
post #27 of 61 Old 04-09-2012, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfyr View Post

As far as a comparison of Switchcraft and Neutrik,...well, there is 'none'! I wish I could get the time back that I have literally spent changing out flaky Switchcraft for Neutrik connectors. And don't even mention Switchcraft 1/4" phone plugs.....

From the strain relief to the machined/diecast rather than crimped internal construction, Neutrik rules.

I have had the same experience. That's why I refer to the connectors as "Switchcrap".
post #28 of 61 Old 04-09-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

So basically, what XLR cable would you guys recommend using for the powered cats? Is the mono price stuff good?

Yes the Monoprice XLR cables are both excellent and also extremely great value.

But you need to understand that XLR interconnect cables are mandatory in the sound biz for these reasons: 1) extreme long cable runs of over 100+ feet (so XLR runs with higher voltage) and 2) durable connectors that can be reliably pushed in/out many many times without problems/failing and 3) durable wires that can be run over repeatedly by heavy equipment being moved about on wheels and 4) great shielding.

In my own experience there is zero sound quality merit for home use of XLR interconnects.

FWIW I've used the Monoprice XLR interconnects (and also another slightly higher priced brand with no detected difference between the two) and think the Monoprice are within an eyelash of being as good as others; so if you're gonna buy into the whole XLR interconnect thing then start with Monoprice XLR cables as you'll blow away the least money.

Of course the problem is that you need to make a short handed decision (with little to no actual 1st hand experience) and put them into the walls of the room/house that you're building?

Talk about tough decisions.

FWIW *all* of my XLR cables now sit in a storage box unused.

I use these Coaxial Digital Audio Cable (Belden 1694A) for all of my analog RCA cable needs, as well as my coax digital cable needs: http://www.bluejeancable.com/store/d...udio/index.htm

Friendly low price. Easy to think that they can't be that great. But in fact they are great. Anything better will likely cost a small fortune with at best extreme minor sound quality improvement. Without question the Canare RCAP RCA connectors (none better and with few peers) are great, great shielding, and the Belden 1694A coax is rated for in-wall installation.

Call up bluejeancable on any question; their 800 number support people are very competent in my experience with talking with them on 3 or 4 occasions.

Other than the question of which cable has better sound quality.

The best is the enemy of the good. Voltaire (1694-1778)

post #29 of 61 Old 04-09-2012, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

But you need to understand that XLR interconnect cables are mandatory in the sound biz for these reasons: 1) extreme long cable runs of over 100+ feet (so XLR runs with higher voltage) and 2) durable connectors that can be reliably pushed in/out many many times without problems/failing and 3) durable wires that can be run over repeatedly by heavy equipment being moved about on wheels and 4) great shielding.

Actually, the only difference is that XLR cables can carry a balanced connection...the one thing you didn't mention.
post #30 of 61 Old 04-09-2012, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I don't think RCA cables are an option for me since the amp on the Catalysts only have XLR connections. That and people that have used RCA cables and just used adapters for the cats have experienced some noise or hissing.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page