Frequency Response Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-07-2012, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently own the Polk Audio TL-250s but I am having a bit of trouble understanding what the proper cutoff frequency should be for these. The specs show that they have an overall frequency response of 90Hz and a lower -3dB limit of 120Hz.

I currently have them set at 90HZ but I believe that this may be mistake on my part as I am still learning new things about home theater settings. Should I be adjusting according to the overall frequency response or the 3db limit?

Kind Regards
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-07-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 790
as far as i am concerned you should cut off at the -3db point or a bit higher. for those speakers 120hz-150hz is what i would try. but as always let your ears be your guide with your gear in your room.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Why you wouldn't want to join
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum
post #3 of 4 Old 04-07-2012, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

as far as i am concerned you should cut off at the -3db point or a bit higher. for those speakers 120hz-150hz is what i would try. but as always let your ears be your guide with your gear in your room.

Thank you for your insight
post #4 of 4 Old 04-07-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe111Black View Post

I currently own the Polk Audio TL-250s but I am having a bit of trouble understanding what the proper cutoff frequency should be for these. The specs show that they have an overall frequency response of 90Hz and a lower -3dB limit of 120Hz.

I currently have them set at 90HZ but I believe that this may be mistake on my part as I am still learning new things about home theater settings. Should I be adjusting according to the overall frequency response or the 3db limit?

Kind Regards
Joe

What receiver do you have (and subwoofer for that matter), and does it have an auto calibration feature? If so, what does that feature want to pick?

Ideally your LF xover is above the -3 dB, to prevent dips in the system FR, but the room and placement will influence overall FR beyond what the anechoic numbers from Polk can tell us. In other words, the ideal crossover point may be different than what the specsheet would indicate.

With such small satellites, they're likely ideally crossed at some much higher frequency, but that may cause integration problems with the subwoofer.

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page