Audio and Video out of Sync - HDMI and TOSLINK - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-10-2012, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone - I just upgraded my home theatre soluion from a PlayStation 3 for Blu-ray/DVD playback (and maybe some games), LG 47LG70 TV and Pioneer VSX-1019AH surround receiver to an LG BD660 3D Blu-ray player and LG 55LW5700 3D TV. I kept the VSX-1019AH receiver. [To tell the truth my nine-year-old had taken over the TV room playing games...]

Here is my problem: The VSX-1019AH apparently cannot pass through 3D Blu-ray signals (e.g. I think the HDMI on the Pioneer is only 1.3, not the 1.4 required for 3D). When I try to play a 3D Blu-ray movie all I get is a blank screen (and the HDMI indicator on the receiver flashing like mad).

My first solution: Use the LW5700 TV as the "switching" device and then use the TOSLINK output to the VSX-1019 for surround sound.
Problem: Apparently the LW5700 (and it seems like most other TVs) "down mix" the audio output from surround to two-channel. Obviously, this won't work.

My second solution: Use the VSX-1019 for all inputs (e.g. set top box, old VCR) both audio and video EXCEPT the video from the Blu-ray player would go directly to the TV via HDMI and the audio would go to the receiver using TOSLINK so I would be able get surround sound.
Problem: I now have the audio and video out of sync. Not by much but enough to be annoying. I *think* that the problem is that the video signal via HDMI via the receiver has a little extra processing that slows down the signal before it gets to the TV whereas the audio signal is, well, "direct".

I have tried setting the BD660 Blu-ray player's digital output based on the manual to:
  1. PCM Stereo - Select if you connect this unit's HDMI OUT or DIGITAL AUDIO OUT jack to a device with two-channel digital stereo decoder. No Good: I want surround sound.
  2. PCM Multi-Ch - Select if you connect this unit's HDMI OUT jack to a device with multi-channel digital decoder. No Good: I cannot use the HDMI output.
  3. DTS Re-Encode: Select if you connect this unit's HDMI OUT or DIGITAL AUDIO OUT jack to a device with DTS decoder. I do not THINK that this works - I seem to get the audio/video sync problem.
  4. Primary Pass-Thru: Select if you connect this unit's DIGITAL AUDIO OUT and HDMI OUT jack to a device with LPCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS and DTS-HD decoder. Also I do not THINK that this works - I seem to get the audio/video sync problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-11-2012, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Is audio playing from both TV and AVR?

If so...

Mute TV vol.

Use AVR for vol.

That is what I have to do. My BD sends audio to AVR via digi CoAx, sends Video to TV via HDMI, when both audios are on, there is a slight lag. No HDMI on my AVR. However, by using my AVR for vol, and turning the TV's vol down, everything synchs up.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-11-2012, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Not sure about your receiver but if you are having lag from audio to video there should be a setting in the receiver to correct that. For my HD Cable box i had to use a 50 mili second delay, BUT for my Blu-ray I had to use 250 mili second delay which is the highest you can choose.

Shawn
post #4 of 5 Old 04-11-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
According to what I just quickly read in the manual for your receiver, page 24 indicates it should take multi-channel PCM. You might read and research in the PS3 blu-ray player thread to see if maybe you are missing a configuration option that would make this work.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #5 of 5 Old 07-18-2014, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
nfld.republic,
I just got an LG 47LW5700 and am considering buying a 3D Blu-ray player and connecting it to my TV via HDMI. I have the TV connected to my old AVR via the TV's optical audio output. When I watch streaming Netflix movies, the TV seems to pass along a 5.1 channel Dolby Digital signal just fine (although it isn't a Dolby Digital *Plus* signal). Are you saying that the TV will not take Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus audio that is coming in via HDMI, convert it to a regular Dolby Digital signal, and send it to an AVR via the optical audio output?
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat