Problem with tv ads - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-11-2012, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have recently purchased a LG SR906B 5.1 3D Receiver System which is my first step into surround sound.Everything seems to work as it should apart from when adverts come on when watching tv programs,some adverts the sound starts right away others there will be no sound for about 2-3 seconds and then will be fine.
My ps3 has no problems when starting a blue ray film or playing games,also films i have on hard disk do not have a problem only seems to be advert related although when the tv program i am watching starts again that sometimes also misses a few seconds of sound.Tv is connected to receiver by optical cable of which i have tried 3 different ones with the same results,only other thing i can think of is the ariel but everything is ok with the tv sound problem is only when listening through the 5.1 receiver.

Any thoughts as i am a complete novice on this subject.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-11-2012, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Its probably your receiver doing internal switching of the surround processing. If you have HD cable a lot of programming is in DD5.1 however most comercials are in 2.0 stereo. So your receiver may be switching from 5.1 to 2.0 OR it may be using a surround mode to create a 5.1 sound.

What sound modes are you using?

Also if all your components are HDMI the correct way to hook every thing up is this: HDMI from PS3 into receiver, HDMI from Cable box into receiver, HDMI out of receiver into TV. If not all your devices support HDMI let us know and we can tell you how to best hook it up. Its usually very undesirable to hook everything into the TV first then TV to receiver.

Shawn
post #3 of 10 Old 04-11-2012, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Hi thanks for replying
The connection available are 3 hdmi inputs 1 for blue ray player,1 for dvd player or recorder,1 for satellite tuner or set top box they are all named like this on the back of the receiver,also 2 optical connectors labeled game & tv & 1 hdmi output which also has ARC wrote next to it but my tv does not have this function
I do not have sky tv or cable so all that is connected at the moment is my LG tv with built in freeview and my ps3 console.
The way i have it at the moment is optical from tv to receiver.
and optical from ps3 to receiver also hdmi from ps3 to tv.
To select sound for the ps3 i have to press the game button on the remote and "game optical is displayed on the receiver".
To select sound from the tv i have to press the tv button on the remote and "tv optical is displayed on the receiver".
post #4 of 10 Old 04-11-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Well the great thing about HDMI is it handles both audio and video. And HDMI is the ONLY way to get 1080p video and HD sound formats found on blu-ray. So try wiring as I suggested. I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter that your TV doesn't have ARC (Audio Return Channel).

Trust me you won't believe the sound you get by hooking directly to the receiver via HDMI, it blows toslink sound away (for blu-ray anyway).

Shawn
post #5 of 10 Old 04-11-2012, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Have hooked the ps3 up to the receiver by hdmi, with hdmi out to tv and pushing the blue-ray button on the receiver remote instead of the game button on the remote and sound is good,but the only way to get sound from tv when watching tv programs is if i push the tv optical button on the remote otherwise i just get a picture with no sound,so i presume this means ARC does not work with my tv,i pushed the arc button on the receiver remote and arc-hdmi was dislayed on the receiver but no sound came out,i cannot think of any other way to get sound from my tv to the receiver except optical.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-11-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok..... what sound modes are you using on your receiver?

Shawn
post #7 of 10 Old 04-11-2012, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Watching normal freeview channel it has pcm on the receiver display.
If i watch it on freeviewHD it has DD & pcm displaying on the receiver?
But this is only when i have the receiver on tv optical as i cannot get sound any other way also the adverts seem to play ok when on freeviewHD channels but this is only a quick observation i will watch this tonight to see if the sound cuts out on HD channels.
Also i dont think the sound modes can manually be changed on my receiver i think they just pick up what ever is being broadcast,sorry i am very new to this sort of thing so dont mean to sound dumb.

UPDATE:
Freeview has dolby digital sign with PLII next to it
FreeviewHD has dolby digital sign with D next to it & also
dolby digital sign with PLII next to it
post #8 of 10 Old 04-11-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
I gather you're somewhere in the U.K. as over here "freeview" is called OTA (over-the-air). It doesn't matter if your TV doesn't support ARC, since the audio output from the TV tuner is exactly the same using optical.

Your receiver's display changes based on whether it's receiving a 2.0/2.1 signal (PLII) or a 5.1 signal (Dolby D). If your broadcast channels are anything like ours, some only send 2 channel, some only send 5.1, some switch between the two when airing commercials.

You might want to contact LG support since your unit is new. Perhaps they can shed some light on the audio delay issue.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-11-2012, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Yes I live in the UK..

I have emailed LG as i cannot get through by phone and will wait for a reply,hope i do not have a faulty unit,does it sound like i could have a faulty receiver?
My problem sounds trivial but it gets really annoying when i miss what is said especially when the program i have been watching starts again after the adverts and that does the same.

Update:
Lg replied and after a long discussion was advised to send back to amazon for a replacement unit which i did and the problem is still there,the problem must be with the tv as i have also just purchased a Digital Stream freeview harddrive recorder with twin tuners and sound comes through the 5.1 receiver no problem.All i can think of is the built in tuner in the tv is not up to the job or needs another firmware update which i think will never happen.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-09-2012, 01:10 AM

You are not alone!

Same issue here using 47LM670T TV and an LG906SB AV processor.
All feeds to TV via HDMI (because believe me, the lack predictability of operation when the 906 is in-line with the 3x video feeds nearly sent me mad) and the audio is via SPDIF back to the AV.
(With the conventional connection of all HDMI sources via the AV processor...you need at least 3 remote controls and an encycolpedic memory to press all the right buttons to get the right combination of vidoe and audio...with the "direct to TV" method...I can control the whole lot via a single LG magic remote from the TV AND it powers up into the right state by default...anyway...that's another story)

Now all prefect...except...the hiccup between ads. No sound for 2 or 3 secs on some Sky channels on transition from ad to ad

I've emailed LG and await a proper fix. Seems others are complaining about this too.

Might have a play with Sky box audio mode to see if that changes anything.

Proved its the TV by feeding SPDIF direct from a PC to AV...no track-track playback problems. So it must be an encoding thing with the TV
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page