Couch against wall (surround speaker placement) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-12-2012, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As the title says, my couch is against a back wall and my question is not so much where to put my rear speakers, but how to face them. They are Energy CB20 bookshelf speakers, on stands at ear level (no option to mount). They are (and can only go) 3 feet apart on each side. Should I face these speakers right at the listening area (90 degrees) or straight ahead toward the TV to help diffuse the sound, or somewhere in the middle (like the position the mains are in...with a tow in toward the listening area). Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-12-2012, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I would face them towards the listening area.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-12-2012, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Ok first are you talking about 5.1 or 7.1 configuration? In 5.1 there are no "rear" speakers. You have surround (side) speakers they should point directly towards the listener at either 90 degrees to the side or 110 degrees slightly behind but still to the side. Ideally they should be located 2 to 3 feet above ear level but you said you don't have that option.

If your receiver has room correction like Audyssey run it and it will compensate for the speakers being very close to the listening position.

Shawn
post #4 of 12 Old 04-12-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by VG1385 View Post

As the title says, my couch is against a back wall

That alone is a big problem. Do you have no other options? This might help:

How to set up a room

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #5 of 12 Old 04-12-2012, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

It is a 5.1 set-up. I heard that if the side speakers are at ear level, having them pointed directly at you can become distracting. Also, moving the couch up isn't really an option. The speakers have no where else to go but right beside .
post #6 of 12 Old 04-12-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Why can't you move the couch forward? Whether you have them on rear wall or side walls, they should be 1-2' above your head. This is one of those cases where you need to try it both ways.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-12-2012, 04:10 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by VG1385 View Post

As the title says, my couch is against a back wall and my question is not so much where to put my rear speakers, but how to face them. They are Energy CB20 bookshelf speakers, on stands at ear level (no option to mount). They are (and can only go) 3 feet apart on each side. Should I face these speakers right at the listening area (90 degrees) or straight ahead toward the TV to help diffuse the sound, or somewhere in the middle (like the position the mains are in...with a tow in toward the listening area). Thanks.

I was in the same situation and it sucks. What I did (although my are mounted a little higher than ear level) was face them at a little less than 45 degree towards listening position. It's definitely not the ideal setup but it sounds pretty good.
post #8 of 12 Old 04-12-2012, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

Why can't you move the couch forward? Whether you have them on rear wall or side walls, they should be 1-2' above your head. This is one of those cases where you need to try it both ways.

Well, I only said couch for simplicity's sake. i watch/listen from my bed in my bedroom. My headboard is against the wall, and when I watch movies, I sit with my head resting against the headboard. The surround speakers are right beside me on stands, and to move my bed forward would mean id have to jump across my bed to get to the other side of my room (it's a tight path as it is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeforsale View Post

I was in the same situation and it sucks. What I did (although my are mounted a little higher than ear level) was face them at a little less than 45 degree towards listening position. It's definitely not the ideal setup but it sounds pretty good.

I think you may be right. I've tried them at 90 degrees and found it too "in your face" and distracting and easy to localize. Facing forward (0 degrees) I found I was missing details (especially in multichannel music). I've put them at 45 degrees where they face roughly the middle of my bed and find this so far to be the best compromise. It isn't bad, but like you say, it definitely isn't ideal. When I sit in the middle of my bed in front of my rear speakers (would be too uncomfortable to do that for long), things sound better. The difference a foot or two in placement or positioning makes is amazing. I can see where it can drive people nuts lol.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-13-2012, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

The other thing you could do is point the speakers at the wall at a certain angle to achieve the angle of sound you want coming from the reflection. Some ppl do this with great success. It should tame the sound and give you the ambience you desire.

Just try different things if you find something you like use it if not keep trying or keep the speakers the way they are now.

Shawn
post #10 of 12 Old 08-27-2013, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post

That alone is a big problem. Do you have no other options? This might help:

How to set up a room

--Ethan

Can someone give me a quick explanation on why the MLP being against the back wall is bad? Thanks.

post #11 of 12 Old 08-27-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVLDARI View Post

Can someone give me a quick explanation on why the MLP being against the back wall is bad? Thanks.

Basically because your going to have early strong reflections generated from practically right behind your ears. Even moving the LP out 4" and putting 4" of absorbent material against the wall behind would be a noticeable improvement, although still far from optimal.

My Room
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/817205-my-listening-room.html

My Music
http://rateyourmusic.com/~jim1961

My Equipment

Rega - Apollo
Rega - DAC
Goldpoint Passive
(2) Classe CA-100 bridged power amps (350w)
Jenzen Next ( http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Jenzen-NEXT.htm )
post #12 of 12 Old 08-28-2013, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes and also bass seems to collect up against walls and corners so the bass may be over powering and boomy or muddy. Now proper sub placement can help as well. But proper seating placement is just as critical as proper speaker and sub placement. Cuz sitting dead center front to back in a room is the worst place to sit cuz you will probably be in a null. Also with seating up against a rear wall standard 7.1 with rear surrounds doesn't work as you should have 3 to 6 feet or more behind you for rear surrounds.

Shawn
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page