how much emphasis do you guys put on brand matching for seperates? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-13-2012, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey now.

i just got a pioneer elite vsx30 receiver (open box from best buy for $175, how can i even begin to complain) and i am sitting here listening to pandora radio (wojieach kilar station) and looking for a universal player.

i love the way my carnival 2's sound. so beautiful. the song from star wars episode 1 phantom menace by john williams is on and it is just a joy to listen to.

anyway, so i am looking at a universal player and i was just wondering how much weight you guys put on brand matching your components. i have always been somewhat indifferent, but maybe because i just got an elite i feel like i have a boner for all pioneer elite now. i dont want to get a pioneer elite universal player and be like "**** i should have got oppo or denon"

You're not cultured. You're stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-13-2012, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
No reason to brand match
post #3 of 14 Old 04-13-2012, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 181
If you have a preference for matching aesthetics in your components, especially if they are out on display, an argument can be made for brand matching. Beyond that, no, I don't see the need.

Mourning the disappearing usage of the -ly suffix. Words being cut-off before they've had a chance to fully form, left incomplete, with their shoelaces untied and their zippers undone. If I quote your post (or post in your thread) without comment, please check your zipper.
post #4 of 14 Old 04-13-2012, 07:23 PM

Liked: 13
Seperates allow you to take a best-in-breed approach to system assembly, which implies very little emphasis on brand matching, unless the brand is a "category killer" in more than 1 category (amp, preamp, source, speakers etc).
post #5 of 14 Old 04-13-2012, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

None what so ever.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-13-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 262
No need to match. Much need to avoid the current crop of Pioneer BD players -- they have a lot of issues... My Oppo plays quite well with my Pio Elite.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #7 of 14 Old 04-14-2012, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

No reason to brand match

While overall I agree there are some reasons like remote compatibility and consistent user interface.
post #8 of 14 Old 04-14-2012, 09:40 AM

i always thought it was best to match the brands for different pieces of equipment because im sure the developers made it with compatibility in mind, going hybrid may be better at times but it will take alot of tests, but matching the brands may just work fine (maybe not great) but good enough without any tests at all
post #9 of 14 Old 04-14-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 253
OPPO makes the best for the money at this time. You can't go wrong with OPPO.

I have the BDP-95, which is State-of-the-Art and worth 4 times its price. For CD/SACD playback, it sounds better than my Ayre C5xe/MP, which cost $6000 a few years ago, and WAS the best until the BDP-95 came along. An absolute technical triumph!

The BDP-93 is also very good, and only $499.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawskinnyd View Post

hey now.

i just got a pioneer elite vsx30 receiver (open box from best buy for $175, how can i even begin to complain) and i am sitting here listening to pandora radio (wojieach kilar station) and looking for a universal player.

i love the way my carnival 2's sound. so beautiful. the song from star wars episode 1 phantom menace by john williams is on and it is just a joy to listen to.

anyway, so i am looking at a universal player and i was just wondering how much weight you guys put on brand matching your components. i have always been somewhat indifferent, but maybe because i just got an elite i feel like i have a boner for all pioneer elite now. i dont want to get a pioneer elite universal player and be like "**** i should have got oppo or denon"

post #10 of 14 Old 04-14-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Zero
post #11 of 14 Old 04-14-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawskinnyd View Post

hey now.

I can think of no sound quality related reasons for brand matching.

Some equipment has proprietary power or other control interfaces that faciliate controlling both the receiver and other pieces of equipment such as a universal music player.

If you are a remote control user, it is convenient to control as much as possible with just one remote control, and an arbitrary selection of component brands might hinder this.
post #12 of 14 Old 04-14-2012, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

I can think of no sound quality related reasons for brand matching.

Some equipment has proprietary power or other control interfaces that faciliate controlling both the receiver and other pieces of equipment such as a universal music player.

This is what I was gonna say too. Arny beat me to it!

The only cases where I can see brand-matching making sense are for those weird remote schemes like DigiLink or RC-5, but I think that's mostly "done" by now (okay, I'm not going to go so far as saying that CEC is the magical answer to all integration questions and works in all situations with all hardware with no problems).

At one point I bothered to get everything matched up, and right around the time I finished getting every component picked out, put together, and so on (all same color displays, brand, etc), something new came out and threw a total wrench in the works. And now it's a complete hodge-podge of devices that get the job done, and look nothing alike. If you've got a third party universal remote (like the Logitech), it's really a complete non-issue - while some of my components *can* link together and share control codes, it's just not worth the hassle when I can drop a flasher on them and use the Harmony to control everyone equally.

I think the only other situation is with proprietary I/F, but I don't think your Pioneer fits into that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 14 Old 04-15-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you are a remote control user, it is convenient to control as much as possible with just one remote control, and an arbitrary selection of component brands might hinder this.

A really good remote control solution is more robust and provides better integration, albeit with a price.
post #14 of 14 Old 04-16-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does your Elite receiver have Pioneer's proprietary PQLS interface? Some Elite bluray players can take advantage of it:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-c...er-pqls-system

John

"What happens in Vegas..."
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page