Another Placement Question: Dipole/Bipole Surrounds on Stands (Sketchups) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-24-2012, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Been lurking for a while, thanks for the great informational resource you've all put together here. I recently moved and so I've got another speaker placement question that I think is less common and haven't been able to find references in any other threads.

In my last place, I had a perfect setup centered on Monitor Audio's RX6, RX Center, RXW12 sub, and RXFX surrounds driven by a Denon 3312 in a relatively small, well contained room. My new living room is much more open, sloped ceiling, glass sliding door, and has an L shape to boot. I'm basically looking at three options and was hoping for feedback.

Option A for Asymmetric: One wall mounted speaker, one stand mounted speaker (See Living Room Layout one wall mount.jpg)

This set up takes advantage of the one wall that is feasibly accessible for mounting the speakers (though not in an ideal placement).

Option B for Behind: Both speakers on stands (See Living Room Layout with Stands Behind.jpg)

This option tries to pretend the RXFX are normal directional surrounds adapted so that at least most of the sound has a reflective surface available.

Option C for Craigslist: Sell the RXFX and get a pair of RX1's to stand mount at the side of my couch.

I got some plans to upgrade my Panasonic blu ray to a Oppo or maybe getting an amp to drive more power to the mains (depending on how they carry music with the higher ceiling), but I could direct those funds to swapping out my surrounds instead.

Any thoughts/comments/recommendations/suggestions would be much appreciated!
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-24-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Both speakers on stands seems to be the correct placement.

Espo77
post #3 of 7 Old 04-25-2012, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback, the MA guys said the RXFX were designed for wall mounting, but I can't imagine the stand mounting will have leave them sounding so bad that I'll need to replace them with uni-directionals. Now I just need to find stands that I can balance them on...

Thanks again!
post #4 of 7 Old 04-26-2012, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The whole point to using dipoles or bipoles is wall mounting them, and having the sound traveling down the wall and bouncing on the wall surfaces. You should be using direct firing speakers on those stands.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-26-2012, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

The whole point to using dipoles or bipoles is wall mounting them, and having the sound traveling down the wall and bouncing on the wall surfaces. You should be using direct firing speakers on those stands.

Thanks...so you'd recommend craigslisting the RXFX (they're only around a year old) for a pair of RX1's? I can see that trumping the marginal upgrade value of the new Blu Ray (especially since Oppo disabled ISO support) and an additional amp (given that the MA RX6's are only rated to Denon's 125W output anyway).

Maybe I should try convincing my wife to let me go to a 7.1 setup, keeping the RXFX on stands directly behind the couch and adding pair of RX1's. Although still not the best use of the FX, it'd probably fill out the sound stage. It's a bit more than I'd like to spend, but being in the moving process, credit cards were invented for a reason.

This weekend belongs to Ikea, but I think I'll finally get to set this up next weekend.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-26-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
I would wall mount if at all possible. IMO surrounds sound best when mounted as high on the wall as possible with 8ft ceilings. Also if you are using a set bi/dipole speakers and a set of direct radiating speakers the bi/dipole should be used as side surrounds and the direct radiatiors as rears for 7.1 or just get 4 bi/dipole or 4 direct radiating speakers for all 4 surrounds.

Shawn
post #7 of 7 Old 04-26-2012, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

I would wall mount if at all possible. IMO surrounds sound best when mounted as high on the wall as possible with 8ft ceilings. Also if you are using a set bi/dipole speakers and a set of direct radiating speakers the bi/dipole should be used as side surrounds and the direct radiatiors as rears for 7.1 or just get 4 bi/dipole or 4 direct radiating speakers for all 4 surrounds.

I could try mounting the RXFX over the glass door, but it'd be sitting at around 9' and would still have the void of the dining area to its left and the lip of the fireplace to its right. (High Right 7)

In trying to keep with wall-mounting, something like an asymmetric setup (Asymmetric 7) work or is that just being as retarded as the first asymmetric setup? Perhaps I'd be better off with a simple 5.1 setup with a pair of direct radiators on the side. I wouldn't be able to talk my wife into letting me get two new pairs of surrounds for a while.
LL
LL
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page