Speaker placement help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-27-2012, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys. So my room layout isnt overly complex. I put together a direction of the room and also indicated the direction the speaker is pointing. Note that on my sub the arrow is indicating the direction that air is pushing too. I have done this in order to 'feel' the bass more so than hear it.

So really where my questions lie are:
1. Overall, does the layout make sense for ideal sound?

2. Im in the process of mounting my rear speakers and well, Im wondering how high to mount them. My walls are about 12ft high and certainly I would prefer (cosmetically) to have them higher and less visible but unsure what is a good point to still maintain the sound. Recommendations based on the diagram?

3. I do have some rear speakers that I used to use in my previous apt to create a 7.1 system. Looking at this, my family room backs into my kitchen. While I didnt draw the entire kitchen I could mount the rears behind the main couch pretty high up (10ft up) and like 15ft behind the couch. But is it worth it? Would I see any benefit at all? Alternatively I could mount on the ceiling I suppose. Any thoughts?

4. I was considering a second Polk 505 sub to put in the upper left corner of my diagram which would be more for audio fidelity, and the one near the couch for the shake. Horrible idea?

Thanks all

Also not sure it matters but here is my setup
Denon 1911 amp
Polk M70s for the front
Polk CS2 center
Polk M30s for surrounds
Onkyo something for rears (could get M30s tho)
Polk 505 sub
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-27-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Your sub looks to be in a less than ideal location (but looks don't tell). It would probably be better in one of the front corners. The easiest way is do the old crawl test to "look" for nulls and peaks.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-27-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roachforlife View Post

Hey guys. So my room layout isnt overly complex. I put together a direction of the room and also indicated the direction the speaker is pointing. Note that on my sub the arrow is indicating the direction that air is pushing too. I have done this in order to 'feel' the bass more so than hear it.

So really where my questions lie are:
1. Overall, does the layout make sense for ideal sound?

If the room is really that square you might benefit acoustically from caddy cornering the display in far left corner and placing subwoofer behind display.

Quote:

2. Im in the process of mounting my rear speakers and well, Im wondering how high to mount them. My walls are about 12ft high and certainly I would prefer (cosmetically) to have them higher and less visible but unsure what is a good point to still maintain the sound. Recommendations based on the diagram?

I prefer my surrounds 1-2' above seated ear height, more might not be so bad if you could angle them downwards.....

Quote:

3. I do have some rear speakers that I used to use in my previous apt to create a 7.1 system. Looking at this, my family room backs into my kitchen. While I didnt draw the entire kitchen I could mount the rears behind the main couch pretty high up (10ft up) and like 15ft behind the couch. But is it worth it? Would I see any benefit at all? Alternatively I could mount on the ceiling I suppose. Any thoughts?

Hard to say, how hard would it be to mount them? I like my surround backs sitting 10' away.....

Quote:

4. I was considering a second Polk 505 sub to put in the upper left corner of my diagram which would be more for audio fidelity, and the one near the couch for the shake. Horrible idea?

I would put both subs up front 1/3s distance of the wall, move mains out if needs be......

Thanks all

Also not sure it matters but here is my setup
Denon 1911 amp
Polk M70s for the front
Polk CS2 center
Polk M30s for surrounds
Onkyo something for rears (could get M30s tho)
Polk 505 sub[/quote]

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
post #4 of 4 Old 04-27-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thanks guys
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page