Installing speaker brackets with keyhole speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 05-04-2012, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I recently purchased these speaker mounts.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I need to mount them to my Triad Mini and Bronze Satellites.

The mounts have a two screw bracket design, but the speakers use a single keyhole type.

Is there a best way to go about doing this? I could just screw into the speaker cabinet, which will lead to holes in the speaker. I'm fine with having to drill into the speaker cabinet, but no holes would be ideal. I realize I could just put one bolt on one side of the bracket, but then I think it wouldn't be as sturdy. Does anyone have experience with this exact mount along with keyholes speakers?

Here's a link to the speaker. The CAD drawing in "downloads" shows no damage would be done to the internals if I drill adjacent to the keyhole on the rear.

http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/irmsat.html#

Pictures included for extra clarification!
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-04-2012, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dctrombly View Post

I recently purchased these speaker mounts.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I need to mount them to my Triad Mini and Bronze Satellites.

The mounts have a two screw bracket design, but the speakers use a single keyhole type.

Is there a best way to go about doing this? I could just screw into the speaker cabinet, which will lead to holes in the speaker. I'm fine with having to drill into the speaker cabinet, but no holes would be ideal. I realize I could just put one bolt on one side of the bracket, but then I think it wouldn't be as sturdy. Does anyone have experience with this exact mount along with keyholes speakers?

Here's a link to the speaker. The CAD drawing in "downloads" shows no damage would be done to the internals if I drill adjacent to the keyhole on the rear.

http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/irmsat.html#

Pictures included for extra clarification!

Triad has several "mini" spkrs with diff model numbers. Which ones did you purchase? I mounted two surrounds directly to studs with one screw each, and the single key hole mount works just fine. That is how you mount a spkr that has a key hole. Use it as intended.

Espo77
post #3 of 11 Old 05-04-2012, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

...your link says 3/8"-16 threaded inserts for brackets...?

Espo77
post #4 of 11 Old 05-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

...your link says 3/8"-16 threaded inserts for brackets...?

The pic looks like a threaded camera-mount-type insert. I wonder if monoprice has adapters or different brackets to use for those.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-04-2012, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Bull View Post

The pic looks like a threaded camera-mount-type insert. I wonder if monoprice has adapters or different brackets to use for those.

Yeah, the OP is using the word "key hole", which is a tapered bracket designed to hold the screw head in place behind the mount.

Espo77
post #6 of 11 Old 05-04-2012, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

My bad. I should've known just by thinking of what a "key hole" looks like to determine that this isn't a key hole type of mount.

Yes, there is a single threaded hole on the rear and one on the bottom, both being the same size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

Triad has several "mini" spkrs with diff model numbers. Which ones did you purchase? I mounted two surrounds directly to studs with one screw each, and the single key hole mount works just fine. That is how you mount a spkr that has a key hole. Use it as intended.

To clarify, when I said "...mini and bronze satellites" I meant mini satellite and bronze satellite. Sorry about that.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-04-2012, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Bull View Post

I ordered this bracket because it was rated at a much higher rate (35 lbs compared to 5-10 lbs).

If I don't use just 1 of the 2 holes on the bracket, then I'll just return these and get something lighter duty.

Clearly I'm not a DIY guy.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-04-2012, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctrombly View Post

I ordered this bracket because it was rated at a much higher rate (35 lbs compared to 5-10 lbs).

If I don't use just 1 of the 2 holes on the bracket, then I'll just return these and get something lighter duty.

Clearly I'm not a DIY guy.

I think your choices are to order different mounts, drill two holes and use the mounts you have, or maybe you can support those from the bottom with double sided tape or something.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-05-2012, 05:24 AM

Make a 1"-11/2" thick block, bigger than the mounting bracket is wide, at least 1/2" each side (it's to limit chance of block splitting). Paint it black, drill a hole in the middle and counter sink for the bolt head (not necessary if it won't interfere with mounting bracket). Bolt to the speaker, drill pilot holes for mounting bracket and screw on.
If the speaker swivels at block connection, try double-faced tape or a dab of caulk, silicone, or glue it won't take much.
vivatech likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-05-2012, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbuzz View Post

Make a 1"-11/2" thick block, bigger than the mounting bracket is wide, at least 1/2" each side (it's to limit chance of block splitting). Paint it black, drill a hole in the middle and counter sink for the bolt head (not necessary if it won't interfere with mounting bracket). Bolt to the speaker, drill pilot holes for mounting bracket and screw on.
If the speaker swivels at block connection, try double-faced tape or a dab of caulk, silicone, or glue it won't take much.

Smart.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-05-2012, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbuzz View Post

Thank you very much! Didn't know what kind of resolution I would hope to discover at first, but this is exactly the kind of thing I wanted to hear.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page