Where to put di/bi pole surrounds?(pics) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-06-2012, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
And whatever other tips to be had.

So I just got 5 new speakers for our 5.1 surround system and I was wondering what YOU would do with the surrounds in my situation? Or any other set up tips?

Setup is

sony 55" lcd
Yamaha rx-v565 receiver
Polk tsi400 fronts
polk cs10 center
polk fxi4 surrounds(bipole dipole switchable)
velodyne dls4000r sub

All speakers crossed over at 80 hz.

As you can see, the left surround is significantly further away than the right. What would you do? Bi pole or dipole mode? Where would you mount on side wall? In the pics the surrounds are currently only a foot from the wall which is in line with the listening position but obviously the left channel reflection point is way off from the right. Ideally I'd like to use dipole mode because I like the effect, but the left channel is weak even when setup with ypao since its reflection point is so far from the listening position. Could it be mounted further ahead on the left wall to try compensate? Or should I set them up so that the surrounds face each other behind the couch and the other set of drivers face the front? Other suggestions? The couch is centered in front of the tv for front to back reference. Sub is front firing and visible behind the front right speaker firing into the back alcove wall. Little to no acoustic treatment other than room furnishings and a small piece of acoustic foam against the wall the sub fires into. And a rolled up sleeping bag I put in the other corner of the alcove seen behind the xbox for an impromptu bass trap. lol Don't worry, I didn't 'actually' think this would help. Just playing with things.

Thanks.
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-06-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
If the surrounds allow you to use them as direct firing, that's what I would do(if you keep them where they are). My first choice would be to mount them on the rear wall and set them to Bipole. That's how I use mine.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-07-2012, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I've done just that. Mounted to the rear wall. That was what I figured too. Simply to bring them to an equal distance apart from the listening area because that was my biggest issue. They look way better wall mounted too. Have to run ypao yet and do some testing and see how it sounds. I expect MUCH better.
LL
post #4 of 5 Old 05-07-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 780
In case you want to learn more about placement, here are a couple of posts at blu-ray forum that go in depth about bipole, dipole, and direct radiating. Both have some layout options explained:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=66471
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=170720

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #5 of 5 Old 05-07-2012, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I haven't seen that second thread.

I actually like the speakers set to dipole on the rear wall. I still get a more diffuse surround effect than bipole.

Why is there never a suggestion to use dipole mode for 5.1 on the rear wall but it says you can use dipoles on the rear wall for 7.1?

How do you know which is the + side of the dipole speaker? I am using polk fxia4 speakers.

Edit: after some bluray testing it is confirmed. It sounds significantly better in dipole than bipole mode on the back wall. Despite the fact that I am not in the "null" with them mounted on side walls it is still more diffuse and enveloping.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page