In Wall Center Channel built into cabinet - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-06-2012, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm trying to do a 5.1 Setup for someone, and they're looking to save a bit of money, so I want to try out Monoprice speakers for the first time.

My problem is that there will be a custom built cabinet underneath the TV (Wall mounted), without any room for an in wall underneath the TV and what they would like to do is have in wall Left and Right fronts, and an external Center Channel.

I'm wondering, for the sake of timbre matching (and for cost), if it would be wise to have them include a space in the cabinet which I could place the monoprice In-Wall Center Channel into.....

Or would it be ok to have the in wall center above the tv, which would be close to the ceiling (8ft), or is that too high.

I've never tried this and was hoping someone might have some insight.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-07-2012, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
As far as above the TV goes...If there is no obstruction blocking the speaker then you may be OK. I used to have my center above my TV, but I had shims under it to angle it towards the listening position(LP). Whereas with in wall, there is no option to angle it towards the LP. This may be a problem. Plus if it does not work out, then there will be a large hole above the TV.

Whereas to building it into the cabinet, it may work. Sounds like the same type of idea as building a box for car subwoofers, you would need to know the cubic feet needed to make it sound right. Ideally for in wall speakers, studs are 12"-15" off center and 2" -4" deep. Some have insulation behind, some don't, so I really don't know how that would work out.

Even though many say the LCR should be matched to timbre reasons. This sounds like a case for using a different center channel for the ease of placement. Also, when using in walls for L&R's then timbre matching may not be that big of an issue. However, that is purely conjecture at this time, I have no real-world data to back that up, just kinda makes since.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-09-2012, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are there any useful guides online for doing an inwall speaker set-up? I'm also trying to figure out if this is the right way to go.

I really like the idea of decluttering the home theater with in-wall speakers, but i have a big room 14Wx16Lx11H.

Can I install speakers in an 11'H ceiling?

I'm thinking of a 10 piece 7.2 set up using a Pioneer VSX-1122-K 7.2 tuner. The speakers are the hard part to figure out. I've read some questionable reviews about a brand called new acoustic audio, but they seem to have the best configuration that i've seen and at a great price.

thoughts?

Ajay
post #4 of 4 Old 05-10-2012, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I use in-ceilings for my surrounds. Both the Vife and I enjoy the sound. However, I have 12" floor standers for my main L&R, and a dual 6.5" Sony center, so I cannot speak for the value of in-wall/in-ceiling for LCR.

I also throw parties several times a year, so I use my mains at loud volumes quite frequently. Even though they are large, I can move them, angle them and remove(as needed). Whereas with in-wall, they are fixed.

The same goes for my center channel. I had it above the TV, but I finally re-arranged my set up and now have it below the TV. Honestly, I think I preferred it above the TV, but since it is an actual unit, I have the ability to move it, whereas an in-wall CC is permanently fixed.

I have not seen any schematix on placing in-wall/in-ceiling speakers. I have seen the Dolby and THX layouts here and on the interwebs, they are readily available, but they do not take into account for in-walls etc...
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page