Surround sound speaker placement for off centered tv - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-10-2012, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hope i'm putting this in the right forum. I've moved into a new rented and furnished house and am not sure how to set up the surround sound.

It's rented so i can't move the wall mounted plasma, the fixed shelf underneath it, the couches nor put in wall/ceiling speakers

I've attached an image of the room layout below. I was planning on setting up a 5.1 setup with the rear speakers to the side of couch 1.

When setting up the centre and front left and right speakers:
- is it going to work having the left speaker on the left side where the shelf ends, about 5 times further from the tv than the right speaker?
- then is it best to put the centre speaker underneath the tv or mid way between the left and right speakers?

Or is there a better way to set up without moving furniture and the annoyingly placed tv?
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-10-2012, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Time alignment and level adjustment can probably help you quite a bit here; assuming we're talking about compact bookshelf speakers I'd probably just try out different configurations on the shelf and see what you get.

There is no "perfect" for this unless you can move that TV (centering it over the shelf).

And I might consider omitting the center channel altogether.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-11-2012, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It would depend on the size of your main speakers. If they are small enough to fit on the shelf, then just have one to right of the TV, at the edge, and have the left equal distance on the left.

If they are floorstanders, then I can see why you would have a problem, but with correction software on the AVR, you may be able to make it work.

Also with floorstanders, you could just have them positioned in front of the shelf.

As a side note, it has been my experience with furnished apt's that the furniture can be moved, as long as you don't damage them in the process.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-11-2012, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks but unfortunately this shelf is built into the wall and putting speakers in front of the shelf isn't an option.

I'm slowly considering buying a new tv to place in the centre then covering the existing one with a painting or picture of some sort.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-11-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
If you don't/can't move things and you don't wanna buy another TV. Your best option might be a 2.1 or 3.1 sound bar. Get a decent bar and a decent sub and that might be the best bet. I wouldn't go for a 5.1 or 7.1 bar cuz your off center spacing isn't gunna give you a nice surround effect at all. Cuz those surround bars use walls and reflection to give the perceived effect.

Shawn
post #6 of 6 Old 05-11-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Oh, a soundbar is a great idea as well! I agree on leaving the 5.1/7.1 ones alone.

Any chance you could, alternately, get the building owner to change how the TV is mounted, by putting it on a mount that can swivel/turn, or moving it's location on the wall for you? Just a thought.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
Surround Sound Speaker Placement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page