Planning an outdoor multizone system. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-14-2012, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am designing an outdoor system for a friend of mine's vacation property (2 homes, beachfront, with pool). I have included some pictures of the property from Google Earth and Bing; however, there is a second home and gazebo added to the property now. We will be installing speakers (audio only outdoors, for a few years at least), in 3 separate areas. First area will be the pool, second will be the Gazebo (same audio as the pool), and the beach (we'd like this to be able to play something different than the pool/gazebo speakers).

The primary source will be a SONOS connect, and would like Airplay. The electronics will be stored in the "Garage" behind the pool. My initial thoughts were for 8 speakers, 4 at the pool, 2 at the Gazebo, and 2 out by the beach (not in the sand, but maybe mounted against/by the two trees (best visible in the Bing picture).

I have only limited experience with BIC outdoor speakers for my father in law, so all guidance is appreciated.

The system will most likely be controlled by the Roomie Remote App (the rest of there home is). The wifi Signal is a bit weak out by the beach, but we will increase the strength of that before the integration.

Speakers - ?
Layout - ?
Amp/Receiver - ? (Airplay, maybe a Pioneer VSX-1021 for $220)
Wire, method of wiring - (underground conduit?)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-20-2012, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Would really appreciate some help. Thanks for any input.
post #3 of 5 Old 05-20-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I have a Sonos system and think it's great. They have a very good apple/droid app that is free. They have 2 types of self contained tabletop amplified speakers (play 3 &5 ) an unamplified zone player (zp 90) and an amplified zone player (zp 120) if it is feasible to run wire through conduit, that would be the way to go. If you want to listen to one music source in all the areas you can use a zp90 with a multi channel amp. I would go with 3 zp 90's or zp 120's so you could listen to different music in different locations and also control the volume for each area remotly. As far as speakers, I'm sur the bic's will be fine. I use Definitive Technology AW6500's that sound very good, A friend of mine use Polk Atriums which are also nice.

post #4 of 5 Old 05-20-2012, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post

I have a Sonos system and think it's great. They have a very good apple/droid app that is free. They have 2 types of self contained tabletop amplified speakers (play 3 &5 ) an unamplified zone player (zp 90) and an amplified zone player (zp 120) if it is feasible to run wire through conduit, that would be the way to go. If you want to listen to one music source in all the areas you can use a zp90 with a multi channel amp. I would go with 3 zp 90's or zp 120's so you could listen to different music in different locations and also control the volume for each area remotly. As far as speakers, I'm sur the bic's will be fine. I use Definitive Technology AW6500's that sound very good, A friend of mine use Polk Atriums which are also nice.

I appreciate the input. Through a conduit should be fine, what should I use? I think I will use two zp90 (connect), and have e gazebo and pool areas playing the same, and the beach having a different music playing. So right there were at $700, without speakers, or an amp. Can I run the zp90 straight to an amp? Or better yet, can I have 4 speakers on zone 1 playing right and left, and zone 2 playing something different? That way we can use AirPlay too.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-20-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Sonos has a great itunes interface. You don't need AirPlay to access Itunes or any of your networked music. It also can access several internet radio stations. The zone players can be grouped toghther or play individually. one of the zone players need an internet connection. You can also use a zone bridge. Check out their website fro more info. You could use something like this to feel all the speakers. The costs will start to add up but it will be done right.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-815

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page