Things have changed - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-14-2012, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I grew up on a Mac 6100 integrated, later with power guard as a Mac 6200 pre/amp Amp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaucho1 View Post

I'm considering making some changes to my system. I no longer use a turntable The Mac Mini is the primary source of audio and video, whether I am watching iTunes, Hulu, or Netflix or streaming Pure Music or MOG.

Now I find myself in a similar situation to Gaucho. I use a iMac to watch Hulu, Youtube and Quicktime. My 100 GB of music is apple lossless on external harddrives played on iTunes. I go into a Denon amp with an optical cable, and fat wires into a pair of JBL-100 speakers. Would you recommend replacing the Denon with a used Mac?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
You give far too little info for anyone to give a meaningful answer. Also using the abbreviation Mac in a thread where you are referring to both Macintosh and Apple products can be a little confusing.

In general you will get the most SQ improvement by replacing speakers (even proper setup/placement and/or acoustic treatments) before replacing electronic components. The L-100's (mid 1980's if this is the model you are referring to) are getting old (I have a pair of L-80's in my bedroom).
Old 05-15-2012, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

Mac in a thread where you are referring to both Macintosh and Apple products can be a little confusing.

Apple does not make amps.
Quote:

The L-100's (mid 1980's if this is the model you are referring to) are getting old.

These centurys were old in the 80's but they still put out great sound. I know they can make solid-state amps sound warm like tubes. But who does make an integrated amp that sounds like a Macintosh Amplifier with tubes?
Old 05-15-2012, 05:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumflow View Post

I know they can make solid-state amps sound warm like tubes. But who does make an integrated amp that sounds like a Macintosh Amplifier with tubes?
L

This is a pretty revealing picture of the guts of a Macintosh 6100 integrated amp. I don't see any tubes... I don't see any output transformers. I do see a very nicely made straight-up SS amp. Put the thing on the bench and I suspect that it performs just as well as some mass-market amps and receivers costing 10% (or less) as much.

I suspect that you are close to drowning in nostalgia. The JBL L100s were not the smoothest speakers, even in the day. By modern standards they are kinda rough and maybe even a little or a lot hot sounding.

You seem to know this at some level but instead of dealing with the cause of your listening discomfort (the speakers!), you want to buy maybe 100 different amps looking for amp to fix your speakers. You are starting on your quest for the Holy Grail with a 100% SS amp with no tubes or even output transformers AFAIK, based on a distant childhood memory.

Wake up! ;-)

It's the 21st century. Get some modern speakers with far smoother frequency response, and see if that helps. I'm sure it will.

Here's the story:

L100 (JBL 4311) frequency response:

Frequency response of modern equivalent (P163):

Notice the absence of a notch at 5 Khz. Notice the more rounded contours, softer peaks, and similar frequency response extension both top and bottom. What is not shown is off-axis response which is no doubt better controlled in the modern speaker.

(next paragraph added via edit)
Also, both the L100 and the P163 have sensitivities on the order of 90 dB/W, but the L100 has a peak power rating of 50 watts, while a seemingly comparable number for the P163 is 150 watts. So, the P163 appears to be more robust and playable at slightly higher SPLs.

If we want a lesson in the economics of audio, compare the retail prices, including the effects of inflation. If memory serves, the L100/4311 cost about $350 in the day, which is about $2,000 in current dollars. The P163 is under $150, and for a nominal amount of money more, you can do even better.

JBL L100s are currently closing eBay auctions around $600 a pair. Sell them to the nostalgia market and invest the money in better sound.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Best advice I have seen here. Made my day!
Old 05-15-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumflow View Post

Apple does not make amps....

....but they have made (and continue to) millions of Macs.

Also the L100 (L80) is a newer and different line (tower with titanium tweeters) than the century L-100. I do remember the Century L100's (had a pair briefly) and while a good speaker for their time (most younger people don't know that JBL was a top self speaker manufacture) almost all newer speakers will out preform them. You may not like changing timbre but new speakers are your best bet for improved audio.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

....but they have made (and continue to) millions of Macs.

..and so has that food service company headquartered in Oak Brook, IL Thousands of millions... ;-)
Old 05-15-2012, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

..and so has that food service company headquartered in Oak Brook, IL Thousands of millions... ;-)

You must be English using the term thousand million.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You must be English using the term thousand million.

Not guilty judge! ;-)

I stumbled into that usage by keying off of the post I quoted. He said millions, and I said thousands of millions to show the extreme comparison. Of course I meant billions, but the turn of phrase wasn't there.