post #31 of 37 Old 05-18-2012, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post

I haven't had a chance to critically listen as I just finished last night while my wife was already asleep, I just saw the graph and wondered why it wasn't appearing as if my AVR was crossing it over. I appears the answer is: "it is, but the room is amplifying the signal back up" - but we'll know for sure tonight.
I may also just hook my old AVR up to see if that crossover looks any different...

When watching digital cable the voices are boomy - but it isn't a problem with anything else.

boomy? That is not good at all. Make sure you have enough couches and bean bags in the room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 05-18-2012, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post

boomy? That is not good at all. Make sure you have enough couches and bean bags in the room

Maybe not the right word
Some male voices just seem to have too much bass... but only with digital cable - maybe its a signal quality issue.

-Aaron
My Basement Movie Room and Bar/Game Room - actually doing stuff now... please comment!
post #33 of 37 Old 05-18-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:

Maybe not the right word

'Boom' would be a good description given that you have a 100 to 130 hz peak. Take a look at this and note what is just above 100 hz... http://www.independentrecording.net/...in_display.htm

Have you tried putting the sub's crossover to 80 hz itself and see if that generates enough slope?

And what does the frequency response look like with both the subs and speakers playing at the same time? One or the other by themselves doesn't necessarily mean much, as it is the way they work together in the room that counts.
post #34 of 37 Old 05-18-2012, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post

'Boom' would be a good description given that you have a 100 to 130 hz peak. Take a look at this and note what is just above 100 hz... http://www.independentrecording.net/...in_display.htm

Have you tried putting the sub's crossover to 80 hz itself and see if that generates enough slope?

And what does the frequency response look like with both the subs and speakers playing at the same time? One or the other by themselves doesn't necessarily mean much, as it is the way they work together in the room that counts.

I have not yet adjusted the crossover on the sub - I was thinking a better approach would be to use the BFD and just have it do a filter to 140hz with a crossover of 100hz.

Speaker and sub together looks very similar to sub alone:

-Aaron
My Basement Movie Room and Bar/Game Room - actually doing stuff now... please comment!
post #35 of 37 Old 05-19-2012, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

I have not yet adjusted the crossover on the sub - I was thinking a better approach would be to use the BFD and just have it do a filter to 140hz with a crossover of 100hz.

Speaker and sub together looks very similar to sub alone:

That might work.... If you want to dropbox the measurement file I could put together a set of filters and we could compare......

Also if you'll capture your graph on the spl only tab(instead of spl and phase) the graphs look better generally keeping the Y axis to 60db span and set the width of the image to max.....

Don't waste time reading signatures.....
post #36 of 37 Old 05-20-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
On a spec sheet, the crossover frequency usually refers to the point where one driver becomes louder than the other. It is not the point where the high and low-pass filters are set. Setting and designing those filters is an art in itself and the filters are seldom (if ever) set to the same frequency.

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #37 of 37 Old 05-20-2012, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

That might work.... If you want to dropbox the measurement file I could put together a set of filters and we could compare......

Also if you'll capture your graph on the spl only tab(instead of spl and phase) the graphs look better generally keeping the Y axis to 60db span and set the width of the image to max.....

Thanks for the tip!

-Aaron
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page