Amplifier gain - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-17-2012, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anything wrong or dangerous by maximizing amplifier gain using test tones in order to enable higher volume levels? Basically Max/+10 all channels. Any risk of over-driving the AMP?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-17-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Is this on a dedicated amp or an AVR?

If its an AVR I know you will get into clipping more easily that way and why boost all the channels that much when turning up the volume can boost output as well.

Shawn
post #3 of 7 Old 05-17-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgman View Post

Anything wrong or dangerous by maximizing amplifier gain using test tones in order to enable higher volume levels? Basically Max/+10 all channels. Any risk of over-driving the AMP?

Your risk of overdriving your amp depends on the level of its input signals and its gain. Large input signals and high gain will get you into trouble faster.

However, your best tools for avoiding overdriving are your ears. Are you an audiophile? Are your ears well-trained? Can you hear when an amplifier is clipping?

Most of the damage that is done by overdriving amplifiers is either accidental or happens when the nut holding the volume control isn't paying attention.
post #4 of 7 Old 05-17-2012, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Its a Rotel 1068 surround preamp driving a Rotel 1075 amplifier. On certain compressed music streams from Rhapsody I max out the volume on the preamp. Raising the gain allows greater volume/loudness, however, don't want to take any unnecessary risks. Strangely my NAD receiver had a lower wattage rating yet appeared to play louder....not sure why.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-17-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 177
If your Rhapsody source is so low, might be worth addressing the problem there. Which client are you using?
post #6 of 7 Old 05-17-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Roger is right. If you are using a PC, be sure to set the speaker level to 100%. Do not attenuate it there. Use the volume control in the amp.

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #7 of 7 Old 05-18-2012, 04:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 1069
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgman View Post

Its a Rotel 1068 surround preamp driving a Rotel 1075 amplifier. On certain compressed music streams from Rhapsody I max out the volume on the preamp.

What about uncompressed streams from the same source?

Quote:

Raising the gain allows greater volume/loudness, however, don't want to take any unnecessary risks.

Unnecessary risks for most speakers involves power levels in excess of 50 watts. With most speakers and rooms that would be ear-splitting or if you will a dancing level. I presume that your actual situation is that you aren't getting a good listening level.

I suspect that you've avoided risk to the extent that you can't enjoy your audio system. Turning up the gain control on the amp a fair amount seems to be a reasonable course of action.

Quote:

Strangely my NAD receiver had a lower wattage rating yet appeared to play louder....not sure why.

The receiver lacked an amplifier gain control, so you couldn't shoot yourself in the foot with it.

If you are really worried about your speakers, get some in-line fuse holders and fuse them for 3-5 amps with regular (not slow blow) fuses. I'll bet that with your current settings, even 1 amp fuses would last forever. ;-)
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page