connection question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-19-2012, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking at upgrading to something better than my samsung internal speakers. I might go with a soundbar or something simple. from the reviews I read I see a lot of focus on the lack of inputs. I'm wondering if it's a problem for me. I have a ps3, my lcd tv and a boxee. Can I just leave the ps3 and the boxee connected by hdmi to the tv and use the digital out from the tv to the soundbar? Am I missing something or do I need only one input for this setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Most soundbars really suck; not much of an upgrade from the TV speakers. The digital output is probably optical, and will not connect to a soundbar.

What is the make and model of the TV?

For $140, you can buy a Denon 1312 receiver, connect the optical audio output of the TV to it, and connect any pair of speakers you like to the receiver. That will give you good sound quality and a lot of future options.

Your PS3 and other stuff will connect to the receiver, and the HDMI output of the receiver will go to the TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mportugais View Post

I'm looking at upgrading to something better than my samsung internal speakers. I might go with a soundbar or something simple. from the reviews I read I see a lot of focus on the lack of inputs. I'm wondering if it's a problem for me. I have a ps3, my lcd tv and a boxee. Can I just leave the ps3 and the boxee connected by hdmi to the tv and use the digital out from the tv to the soundbar? Am I missing something or do I need only one input for this setup?

Old 05-19-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked: 501
While a soundbar can be convenient, it won't give the best sound, although it'll certainly be much better than the tiny speakers in a TV.

Speakers and the room have the biggest effect on the quality of what you hear. If you want quality sound, you should visit a local A/V store and listen to some speakers. In general, tiny speakers sound "tinny", so you want to get speakers with 5" or larger woofers. A separate subwoofer would greatly enhance the lowest frequencies. A popular rule of thumb is to spend about 2/3 of your budget on speakers, 1/3 on electronics.

A warning: Bose systems are *way* overpriced for what you get. Most of their price goes to pay for their advertising, not for the hardware.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Old 05-19-2012, 09:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:

I'm looking at upgrading to something better than my samsung internal speakers. I might go with a soundbar or something simple. from the reviews I read I see a lot of focus on the lack of inputs. I'm wondering if it's a problem for me. I have a ps3, my lcd tv and a boxee. Can I just leave the ps3 and the boxee connected by hdmi to the tv and use the digital out from the tv to the soundbar?

Yes!
Old 05-19-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

There is a dedicated soundbar forum here that can provide you with lots of information about what's out there.

Although most soundbars will not provide the same SQ as a good 2.1 or 3.1 setup would, they certainly don't suck as previously stated. The majority of them DO have optical input and many provide HDMI input(s) as well. One thing you should be aware of is that most HDTVs will not output 5.1 audio from devices connected to them. Regardless of whether you're connecting to an AVR or a soundbar, you should either go HDMI to the external audio, or HDMI to the TV plus optical direct to the external system.