Does Marantz NR1402 receiver have enough power to drive B&W 683 speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 05-19-2012, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
mtbikerjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have the Marantz NR1402 receiver driving Definitive ProCinema 600 speakers and a B&W HTM61 center channel speaker. This Marantz receiver only supplies 50W per channel, but movies sound great with this setup. However, music doesn't sound as full through my Definitive satellites, so I'm planning to buy larger front stereo speakers.

I was thinking of getting the B&W 683 speakers for the front left and right channels (to pair it with my HTM61 center channel speaker), but I'm concerned that the slimline Marantz 1402 receiver won't have enough power to drive the B&W subwoofers at higher volumes.

Has anyone tried driving the B&W 683 speakers with the Marantz NR1402 receiver? Does it punch out enough bass at a higher volume?
mtbikerjc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 05-20-2012, 04:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
William's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 8,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbikerjc View Post

I currently have the Marantz NR1402 receiver driving Definitive ProCinema 600 speakers and a B&W HTM61 center channel speaker. This Marantz receiver only supplies 50W per channel, but movies sound great with this setup. However, music doesn't sound as full through my Definitive satellites, so I'm planning to buy larger front stereo speakers.

I was thinking of getting the B&W 683 speakers for the front left and right channels (to pair it with my HTM61 center channel speaker), but I'm concerned that the slimline Marantz 1402 receiver won't have enough power to drive the B&W subwoofers at higher volumes.

Has anyone tried driving the B&W 683 speakers with the Marantz NR1402 receiver? Does it punch out enough bass at a higher volume?

You don't list your sub but most are active (have their own amp built in) so the receiver's amp doesn't drive it.

Also you will be fine using your current receiver to drive the B&W's. Wattage is not linear and the 1st watt is by far the most important. Your biggest improvement in SQ is almost aways in speakers. You can update your receiver at a later time.
William is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 05-20-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,254
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 250
The B & W 683 speakers are not particularly good speakers. That is my listening impression, and I have seen comments here by several people to the effect that they are not-good-sounding at all. I have heard them described as one of B & W's "duds".

I suggest that you consider the KEF iQ70 speakers with a KEF iQ60C center speaker. Those are some excellent speakers that you can get for around $700 total at KEF Direct (down from around $1200 a year ago). That setup should work well with your receiver and have a lot of high-quality bass.




Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbikerjc View Post

I currently have the Marantz NR1402 receiver driving Definitive ProCinema 600 speakers and a B&W HTM61 center channel speaker. This Marantz receiver only supplies 50W per channel, but movies sound great with this setup. However, music doesn't sound as full through my Definitive satellites, so I'm planning to buy larger front stereo speakers.

I was thinking of getting the B&W 683 speakers for the front left and right channels (to pair it with my HTM61 center channel speaker), but I'm concerned that the slimline Marantz 1402 receiver won't have enough power to drive the B&W subwoofers at higher volumes.

Has anyone tried driving the B&W 683 speakers with the Marantz NR1402 receiver? Does it punch out enough bass at a higher volume?

commsysman is offline  
post #4 of 17 Old 05-20-2012, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
mtbikerjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the feedback William. I'm using the DefTek ProSub 600 as the powered sub to watch movies, but was concerned that my receiver wouldn't have enough power for the B&W "bass drivers" when listening to stereo content (I realize the B&Ws don't have built-in subwoofers). Your comment about Wattage not being linear makes sense... I read somewhere on AVSForum that to get an extra 10db, you need twice the amount of power. Not sure if those figures are exact, but it makes the point clear.

commsysman, thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to go listen to the KEF floor-standing speakers before I commit to the B&Ws!
mtbikerjc is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 05-20-2012, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
mtbikerjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wondering, are there any other drawbacks to having a lower-powered amp than just a lower volume?
mtbikerjc is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 05-20-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,325
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbikerjc View Post

I currently have the Marantz NR1402 receiver driving Definitive ProCinema 600 speakers and a B&W HTM61 center channel speaker. This Marantz receiver only supplies 50W per channel, but movies sound great with this setup. However, music doesn't sound as full through my Definitive satellites, so I'm planning to buy larger front stereo speakers.

I was thinking of getting the B&W 683 speakers for the front left and right channels (to pair it with my HTM61 center channel speaker), but I'm concerned that the slimline Marantz 1402 receiver won't have enough power to drive the B&W subwoofers at higher volumes.

Has anyone tried driving the B&W 683 speakers with the Marantz NR1402 receiver? Does it punch out enough bass at a higher volume?

The difference between 50 watts and 100 watts (the level of power commonly found with larger receivers is just 3 dB - audible, but just so.

To get the perception of twice as loud takes about 10 times the power or in your case 500 watts. AFAIK, there are no such things as 500 watt receivers.
arnyk is online now  
post #7 of 17 Old 05-20-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
mtbikerjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

The difference between 50 watts and 100 watts (the level of power commonly found with larger receivers is just 3 dB - audible, but just so.

To get the perception of twice as loud takes about 10 times the power or in your case 500 watts. AFAIK, there are no such things as 500 watt receivers.

Thanks for the facts!
I can do without those extra 3 dBs for now
mtbikerjc is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 05-20-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
William's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 8,400
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbikerjc View Post

Thanks for the facts!
I can do without those extra 3 dBs for now

The B&W 683's are rated at 90db for 1 watt (see why the first watt is the most important) so 2 watts is 93db, 4 watts 96db, 8 watts 99db, 16 watts 102db, 32 watts 105db, 64 watts (about the limit of you amp driving 1 channel) 108db.

To drive them just 6db louder at 114db you would need a 256 watt amp.

This is all just calculations and actual results vary but you get the picture.

Also don't go by peoples opinion on speaker sound. Every system has it's own unique characteristics (timbre). Decide what sounds best to your ear.
William is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 05-20-2012, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
mtbikerjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, awesome! Thanks again William!!! Knowing this makes it all so much more clear to me. I'm a new member and am just starting out with building my HT system, and have lots to learn and consider. I think it's great how the people here on AVSForum are willing to help each other out with advice.
mtbikerjc is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 05-21-2012, 06:02 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member
 
ap1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post


The B&W 683's are rated at 90db for 1 watt (see why the first watt is the most important) so 2 watts is 93db, 4 watts 96db, 8 watts 99db, 16 watts 102db, 32 watts 105db, 64 watts (about the limit of you amp driving 1 channel) 108db.

To drive them just 6db louder at 114db you would need a 256 watt amp.

This is all just calculations and actual results vary but you get the picture.

Also don't go by peoples opinion on speaker sound. Every system has it's own unique characteristics (timbre). Decide what sounds best to your ear.

683 requires quite a bit of current to sound right. Their impedance gets down below 4 ohms, this is not very easy load. I wouldn't recommend to pair them with low power receiver.

On the sound quality they are good for the money. Someone mentioned KEF above, but I would not go below R series in KEF if I want good music sound. But then you we are talking abot 3 times more money.
ap1 is online now  
post #11 of 17 Old 05-21-2012, 06:37 AM
Member
 
php111's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I found this thread by searching Google because of similar questions.

It wouldn't be a good idea to go with a Marantz SR4023 receiver with a pair of B&W 686 speakers? Or if not, what about the Integra DTM 5.9 receiver with a pair of B&W 686 speakers?

I have a thread going on this forum about it, but honestly, all the talk is in this thread.

There was a shop recommended to me, and told me they would recommend what I posted.
php111 is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 05-21-2012, 05:10 PM
ap1
AVS Special Member
 
ap1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by php111 View Post

I found this thread by searching Google because of similar questions.

It wouldn't be a good idea to go with a Marantz SR4023 receiver with a pair of B&W 686 speakers? Or if not, what about the Integra DTM 5.9 receiver with a pair of B&W 686 speakers?

I have a thread going on this forum about it, but honestly, all the talk is in this thread.

There was a shop recommended to me, and told me they would recommend what I posted.

You won't have problem with receiver. What I see is problem with speaker itself - 686 is bad example of B&W speaker. I suggest seriously consider 685 instead.
ap1 is online now  
post #13 of 17 Old 05-22-2012, 05:44 AM
Member
 
php111's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

You won't have problem with receiver. What I see is problem with speaker itself - 686 is bad example of B&W speaker. I suggest seriously consider 685 instead.

@ap1,

Thank you very much!

1.) I can't afford the B&W 685. They are $200 more at this shop, and I am on disability.

2.) The guy at the shop recommended either the 686, or the 685. Someone is going to send that shop a check, so I have not made any purchases yet.

3.) What exactly would happen if I use those 686 speakers? Also, why would he even recommend those in the first place?

Thank you again!
php111 is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 05-22-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,254
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 250
B & W speakers are a high-profit line for the dealer; that is why he is recommending them. They are a rip-off IMO.

An honest dealer would know how overpriced they are compared to their competition and steer you to something better.

For the same money, IMO, you will get better-sounding speakers from KEF, PSB, Monitor Audio, or Dynaudio.




Quote:
Originally Posted by php111 View Post

@ap1,

Thank you very much!

1.) I can't afford the B&W 685. They are $200 more at this shop, and I am on disability.

2.) The guy at the shop recommended either the 686, or the 685. Someone is going to send that shop a check, so I have not made any purchases yet.

3.) What exactly would happen if I use those 686 speakers? Also, why would he even recommend those in the first place?

Thank you again!

commsysman is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 05-22-2012, 08:14 AM
Member
 
php111's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would it burn out the receiver and the speakers? I'm pretty sure it's too late because my group home knows how bad I wanted this, so they are going to cut a check per my request. I don't know what to do now.



Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

B & W speakers are a high-profit line for the dealer; that is why he is recommending them. They are a rip-off IMO.

An honest dealer would know how overpriced they are compared to their competition and steer you to something better.

For the same money, IMO, you will get better-sounding speakers from KEF, PSB, Monitor Audio, or Dynaudio.

php111 is offline  
post #16 of 17 Old 05-22-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mcnarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,098
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:


Would it burn out the receiver and the speakers? I'm pretty sure it's too late because my group home knows how bad I wanted this, so they are going to cut a check per my request. I don't know what to do now.

What you do is accept the gift and be grateful, and don't listen to a few naysayers on the Internet. You'll enjoy the system, and it'll work just fine.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

mcnarus is offline  
post #17 of 17 Old 05-22-2012, 08:50 AM
Member
 
php111's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

What you do is accept the gift and be grateful, and don't listen to a few naysayers on the Internet. You'll enjoy the system, and it'll work just fine.

Thank you, and I won't listen to anyone. These are adult version toys as a gift rather then children getting gifts and playing with toys. Guys as adults have toys as well. One of them comes to my mind are stereo equipment. LOL.

I won't listen to anyone. I hate to throw members names in here, but it was William user who referred me to this shop based on where I live in my first thread over in the receiver section.
php111 is offline  
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
Marantz Nr1402 Av Receiver
Gear in this thread - Nr1402 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off