In Wall Coax for Subwoofer-- Is it okay to split? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-21-2012, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I inherited a system where there is a coax cable that runs from the AV units to a designated wall plate in the corner of the room for a subwoofer. In order to connect them, I simply attach different heads onto them. Since I wanted to use off air antenna system to watch football games, I was thinking I could use the same cabling to connect an antenna. In order to do so, I would need to switch both ends of the in wall cabling for either the subwoofer or for the antenna when needed. Is this okay to do? Do I risk accidentally trying to send sound signals to an antenna?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 04:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous View Post

I inherited a system where there is a coax cable that runs from the AV units to a designated wall plate in the corner of the room for a subwoofer. In order to connect them, I simply attach different heads onto them. Since I wanted to use off air antenna system to watch football games, I was thinking I could use the same cabling to connect an antenna. In order to do so, I would need to switch both ends of the in wall cabling for either the subwoofer or for the antenna when needed. Is this okay to do? Do I risk accidentally trying to send sound signals to an antenna?

Wiring with coax when you don't know up front whether the line is going to be audio or RF sounds like good thinking to me.

There are standard compression fittings for RCA connectors, and there are standard compression fittings for F connectors. Crimp on what you need for the application and go forth and do good things!

As long as both ends of the cable are used for the same purpose and just that purpose, there should be no problems.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous View Post

You can't hurt the antenna by pumping the audio signal through it if that is what you are asking. Nor will it damage the subwoofer output of the source.

Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"