Basic question about speaker placement: - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 05-25-2012, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unfortunately I live in a studio apartment in Manhattan, which means I dont have a lot of space to work with.

As a result, my front left speakers is 20 inches closer to my center than my right. The left is 65" away while the right is 85.
How much is this affecting my sound?

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a good omnidirectional satellite speaker wall mount? Am looking for the ball-in-joint type...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-25-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
How big are your speakers? And the easiest solution I can think of is to just move the speaker that's out 20 inches further...in 20 inches. It may close up the sound some but I would rather that than an off focus image.

Check parts express for the mount you're talking about. I think they have them but not completely sure.

And one more thing. You should move out of manhattan! Just move to one of the boroughs and get a place twice as big for the same amount of money!
post #3 of 7 Old 05-25-2012, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash View Post

How big are your speakers? And the easiest solution I can think of is to just move the speaker that's out 20 inches further...in 20 inches. It may close up the sound some but I would rather that than an off focus image.

Check parts express for the mount you're talking about. I think they have them but not completely sure.

And one more thing. You should move out of manhattan! Just move to one of the boroughs and get a place twice as big for the same amount of money!

Upon re-measuring, its more like a 10" differential.
I simply cannot move the other speaker any closer.

Is a 10" differential considered a big deal?
post #4 of 7 Old 05-25-2012, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwitel View Post

Upon re-measuring, its more like a 10" differential.
I simply cannot move the other speaker any closer.

Is a 10" differential considered a big deal?

I wouldn't worry about it. Can't move your center? Omnimounts are ball type and usually bought based on the weight of your speaker (like 10.0, 20.0, 30.0) but I'd get one rated for more than the weight of your speaker from experience (hard to tighten sufficiently at the weight limit stated). If you can use a Pinpoint (like an AM-40) mount that might be an option, too.

ps Do you have room correction software in your AVR or the ability to manually adjust for distance and placement of your speakers?

post #5 of 7 Old 05-25-2012, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

I wouldn't worry about it. Can't move your center? Omnimounts are ball type and usually bought based on the weight of your speaker (like 10.0, 20.0, 30.0) but I'd get one rated for more than the weight of your speaker from experience (hard to tighten sufficiently at the weight limit stated). If you can use a Pinpoint (like an AM-40) mount that might be an option, too.

ps Do you have room correction software in your AVR or the ability to manually adjust for distance and placement of your speakers?

The am-30 is EXACTLY what I am looking for...thank you!
As for your second question: i have the Onkyo TX-sr304...would you know if this model carries that software.

I had no idea (somewhat of a newbie to this)-there are receivers that have internal software that allows you to adjust the speakers to compensate for these differences?

As for the center...its under my plasma on a stand that sits in the center of my apartment and unfortunately cannot be moved left/right. I am unfortunately stuck with the above set-up.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-26-2012, 12:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Since you use a center, the 10" will be less of a problem than if you were just using two channels.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-26-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwitel View Post

The am-30 is EXACTLY what I am looking for...thank you!
As for your second question: i have the Onkyo TX-sr304...would you know if this model carries that software.

I had no idea (somewhat of a newbie to this)-there are receivers that have internal software that allows you to adjust the speakers to compensate for these differences?

As for the center...its under my plasma on a stand that sits in the center of my apartment and unfortunately cannot be moved left/right. I am unfortunately stuck with the above set-up.

Glad you found the mount you need. Am just about to go make some changes on speakers and some Omnimount and Pinpoints are involved.

Many receivers now have internal correction software...but yours doesn't (I just looked thru the manual). Some have very basic distance adjustment for volume at the listening position, some do it automatically (current Denon and Onkyo avrs among others utilize Audyssey, Pioneer has proprietary MCACC, Yamaha has YPAO, etc). Very nice stuff for multichannel setup when you don't have measuring equipment or patience). I was kind of surprised that an Onkyo 5.1 didn't have some sort of distance adjustment at least as my old lower end Sony had at least that (currently my main avrs are a Pioneer with MCACC and an Onkyo with Audyssey XT). Check out Audyssey's site www.audyssey.com. I just looked at an older post of yours when you were asking about avrs a few months back and someone was trying to point out about Audyssey (comes in various levels as to what the avr brand licenses and implements).

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page