need help diagnosing audio issue: source material, Oppo or Denon AVR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 05-27-2012, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have started experiencing an audio issue while watching LOST: Season 6 on blu-ray. 4-5 times per episode, the audio gets messed up and when I pause and play again it corrects itself until it happens the next time. I don't know the technical term for what the audio is doing, but it's like the center channel audio gets sent to all 3 fronts, and so dialogue sounds like it is echoing -- like it's coming from the bottom of a well.

I have an Oppo BDP-93 connected via HDMI to a Denon AVR-2809, and the HD audio track is selected. I didn't experience the issue on any of the 5 previous seasons of LOST, but I can't find any discussion of audio problems with the 6th season, so I'm wondering if something has started happening with the Oppo or Denon, or the cable. As mentioned above Pause/Play temporarily corrects the issue.

I appreciate any suggestions!

Media Room
Mitsubishi HC6800 1080P Projector with Darbee Darblet Video Processor
106" Da-Lite 90271V Cinema Contour High Contrast Cinema Vision Screen
Denon AVR-2809CI
Oppo BDP-93 Blu-ray Player
Energy v6.2 Towers / Energy v5.2 Center / Boston Acoustics HS50 surrounds / Klipsch RW-12D Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-27-2012, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzikool View Post

I have started experiencing an audio issue while watching LOST: Season 6 on blu-ray. 4-5 times per episode, the audio gets messed up and when I pause and play again it corrects itself until it happens the next time. I don't know the technical term for what the audio is doing, but it's like the center channel audio gets sent to all 3 fronts, and so dialogue sounds like it is echoing -- like it's coming from the bottom of a well.

I have an Oppo BDP-93 connected via HDMI to a Denon AVR-2809, and the HD audio track is selected. I didn't experience the issue on any of the 5 previous seasons of LOST, but I can't find any discussion of audio problems with the 6th season, so I'm wondering if something has started happening with the Oppo or Denon, or the cable. As mentioned above Pause/Play temporarily corrects the issue.

I appreciate any suggestions!

Sometimes the dialog is sent to all three fronts. The three fronts should be equal-distant to the listener, and or the delay set (in milliseconds), if they are not equal-distant to the listener. When you say "the HD audio track", do you mean DD5.1, 7.1, Dolby True HD or DTS master audio? And, what format are the older ones, that you don't have problems with?

Espo77
post #3 of 8 Old 05-27-2012, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

Sometimes the dialog is sent to all three fronts. The three fronts should be equal-distant to the listener, and or the delay set (in milliseconds), if they are not equal-distant to the listener. When you say "the HD audio track", do you mean DD5.1, 7.1, Dolby True HD or DTS master audio? And, what format are the older ones, that you don't have problems with?

Thanks for the reply. I realize my description of the issue isn't very good, but it is a problem and I can temporarily correct it by pausing and then playing again.

Season 6 has a DTS-MA track, as do 3 of the other seasons, while the other 2 have uncompressed options that you have to manually select. I need to go back to some of those previous seasons to see if I can replicate the problem, in case it's a hardware issue that has just cropped-up for whatever reason.

Media Room
Denon AVR-2809CI
Energy v6.2 Towers / Energy v5.2 Center / Boston Acoustics HS50 surrounds / Klipsch RW-12D Sub
post #4 of 8 Old 05-28-2012, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Have you checked to make sure you have the latest firmware on both the Oppo and the Denon?

M

42HDX62A - V0102.0055
post #5 of 8 Old 05-28-2012, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWMike View Post

Have you checked to make sure you have the latest firmware on both the Oppo and the Denon?

M

I do have the latest Oppo firmware installed. My Denon 2809 doesn't have network capabilities, so I've never attempted a firmware update for it.

I watched another Season 6 episode tonight without issue. I will re-watch one of the problematic episodes to see if it occurs again.

Media Room
Denon AVR-2809CI
post #6 of 8 Old 05-29-2012, 05:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 233
If the audio is bitstreamed to the AVR, any decoding issue would have to be in the AVR. If the issue is not repeatable, the AVR is suspect. That means if you re-wind and the issue doesn't repeat at the same point. If it's repeatable, the disc would be the suspect.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-29-2012, 05:49 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Set Oppo output to PCM. That way you avoid any potential issues with decoding in your receiver. Several DSP manufacturers has problems with it in the last few years. If you do not want to update Denon firmware, which is possible without visiting repair shop, try to offload decoding to a more modern hardware/software in Oppo.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-29-2012, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

Set Oppo output to PCM. That way you avoid any potential issues with decoding in your receiver. Several DSP manufacturers has problems with it in the last few years. If you do not want to update Denon firmware, which is possible without visiting repair shop, try to offload decoding to a more modern hardware/software in Oppo.

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I should have mentioned that I've had this setup for close to 2 years, and have watched at least 100 blu-rays without any problems. This issue just came out of nowhere. I'll continue troubleshooting to see if I can isolate the cause.

Media Room
Denon AVR-2809CI
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page