Confused on how to connect sound bar - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-30-2012, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I have a nice AVR I have purchased (ONKYO TX-TN616) and am considering getting a sound bar instead of a full blown surround speaker setup.

I have come to understand, sound bars, in general are not designed to connect to AVRs directly but to the HDTV instead (correct?).

I will connect the HDMI out of my AVR to the HDMI in for the TV.

Soooo, to get sound out of my sound bar from say a Pandora station on the AVR:

1. can I connect the HDMI out of the TV to the HDMI in of the sound bar? If not, why? What are the HDMI in's on the sound bar for then?

2. If the above doesn't work, is it better to connect the optical out of the TV to the optical in of the sound bar OR connect the two via the speaker jacks?

I'm sure these are primitive questions for most of you and I apologize in advance.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-30-2012, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Some soundbars have multiple HDMI Ins/Outs. Some have Coaxial and Toslink Ins/Outs.

Some on the other hand only have one HDMI IN, and only analog in, with no digi connections other than the afore mentioned HDMI.

Depending on the model(have you decided on one yet?), you may not want the AVR going to the soundbar.

If the soundbar you choose has HDMI In and Out, then you could go: AVR -> Soundbar IN ->Soundbar Out to TV IN.

If the sound bar only has HDMI in, and no out, then you would want to use another form of connection for audio, hopefully the Sound bar would have Coaxial or Toslink. Otherwise, the TV would not get the video signal via HDMI.

Given your druthers, you would want a Soundbar with as many connections as possible: HDMI In/Out, Digital Audio In/Out, and Analog In/Out.

If you get a soundbar with only In, the you would need to figure out where to compromise.

OTOH, I believe BIC America has a "soundbar" that actually uses speaker connections for the surround. However, I cannot find a link directly.

By the By there is a soundbar forum http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=195.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-30-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Since you have an AVR you want a passive sound bar ( one that connects just like most speakers do). You want to avoid powered ones that have receivers built into them.

And yes I would look at the BIC America sound bar.

Shawn
post #4 of 4 Old 05-30-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

Since you have an AVR you want a passive sound bar ( one that connects just like most speakers do). You want to avoid powered ones that have receivers built into them.

And yes I would look at the BIC America sound bar.

The BIC is a little large (8+ inches high). I'd like something less obtrusive. But thanks. I think perhaps the Dayton Audio BS36 might fit the bill.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page