Is THX Cinema Still Relevant? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-07-2012, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I understand that most movies are remixed for home use so are the THX processing modalities still relevant? I really like the way THX Cinema sounds in my HT.

Kaboom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-07-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
What makes you think soundtracks are remixed for home? The audio track on a dvd/BD would be the same as in a theater. As far as I have ever known.
I've never had an AVR that had THX processing, although my old Marantz 880 had part of the circuitry, RE-EQ.
Between DD and DTS, I prefer DTS.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-07-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post

I understand that most movies are remixed for home use...
Don't know if "most" are, since it varies by studio. Some studios, like Lionsgate, re-mix the soundtrack (sometimes changing a 5.1 theatrical track to a 7.1 home video track). Other studios, like Sony, re-master soundtracks (re-equalize for nearfield listening). Yet others, like Paramount, often port the theatrical soundtrack to home video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post

...are the THX processing modalities still relevant? I really like the way THX Cinema sounds in my HT.
THX processing modes are still relevant as long as listeners really like the way THX Cinema sounds in their HTs. Even if you don't need the Re-EQ feature for some movies, there are other features like Adaptive Decorrelation and Timbre Matching that listeners might find pleasing.

Sanjay
post #4 of 5 Old 06-07-2012, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Don't know if "most" are, since it varies by studio. Some studios, like Lionsgate, re-mix the soundtrack (sometimes changing a 5.1 theatrical track to a 7.1 home video track). Other studios, like Sony, re-master soundtracks (re-equalize for nearfield listening). Yet others, like Paramount, often port the theatrical soundtrack to home video. THX processing modes are still relevant as long as listeners really like the way THX Cinema sounds in their HTs. Even if you don't need the Re-EQ feature for some movies, there are other features like Adaptive Decorrelation and Timbre Matching that listeners might find pleasing.

Thanks. I was under the impression that more were remixed.

Kaboom.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-14-2012, 08:48 AM

Liked: 30
I have an older Marantz receiver, SR8200 which i've had since 2001 and actually prefer THX Re-eq to DTS and DD. To my ears it seems more "even"...then again after listening to it for so many years maybe my ears are more used to it than the other two which sound a little bright.

Just a thought, older units sound amazing even though they might not have the newer inputs and formats. But through 7.1 you can still pick the newer audio formats up with no problem. I plan on getting an OPPO and connect through the 7.1 setup in the near future. You could potentially save thousand$
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page