Please look at this audio system wiring photo and advise if Ok > - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-11-2012, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My 2-channel audio system consists of a 2-channel stereo reciever, a pair of 2-channel power amps, 4 speakers in the listening room (front and rears), and a pair of outside speakers in my patio. This is strickly a music only system with no TV / Home Theater.

I have a question regarding the wireing of the 2-channel reciever into a pair of power amps ... One separate 100 w/ch @ 8 ohms power amp will drive the front speakers, and the other separate 100 w/ch power amp will drive the rear speakers in the listening room.

Since the reciever's internal power amp section is not used at all to drive any of those 4 speakers in my listening room, I thought I would hook-up a pair of speakers in my patio and let the reciever's power amp section drive them. The reciever is rated at 80 w/ch @ 8 ohms, so it should be powerful enough to drive a pair of 8 ohm bookshelf size speakers in the patio by itself.

Below is a photo of the back panels of the reciever and the 2 power amps, along with some red lines indicating the wireing between the components.

Could you take a look at this photo and see if there are any problems in the way this audio system is wired together.

Thank's a bunch smile.gif

AmpWiringwithPatio.jpg

P.S: The one thing I am worried about is lets say I only want to listen to the music in the listening room, but not on the patio ... how would I turn off just the patio speakers?

The reciever does have "Speakers A" and "Speakers B" buttons on it's front panel. You can select A, or B, or both A and B, or turn them both off at the same time ... But I am thinking that might also effect the 4 listening room speakers even though they are being driven by separate power amps ? ?

OnkyoTX-8050Front2.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-11-2012, 05:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flt Simulation View Post

My 2-channel audio system consists of a 2-channel stereo reciever, a pair of 2-channel power amps, 4 speakers in the listening room (front and rears), and a pair of outside speakers in my patio. This is strickly a music only system with no TV / Home Theater.
I have a question regarding the wireing of the 2-channel reciever into a pair of power amps ... One separate 100 w/ch @ 8 ohms power amp will drive the front speakers, and the other separate 100 w/ch power amp will drive the rear speakers in the listening room.

Driving the rear speakers with the identical same signal as the front speakers is pretty unusual. What are you trying to accomplish with them?
Quote:
P.S: The one thing I am worried about is lets say I only want to listen to the music in the listening room, but not on the patio ... how would I turn off just the patio speakers?
The reciever does have "Speakers A" and "Speakers B" buttons on it's front panel. You can select A, or B, or both A and B, or turn them both off at the same time ... But I am thinking that might also effect the 4 listening room speakers even though they are being driven by separate power amps ? ?

Your speaker has a set of unused line level outputs that would seem relevant to your needs - they are labelled "zone 2". I would hook an amp up to them, and hook the patio speakers to that amp.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-11-2012, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

1. Driving the rear speakers with the identical same signal as the front speakers is pretty unusual. What are you trying to accomplish with them?

2. Your speaker has a set of unused line level outputs that would seem relevant to your needs - they are labelled "zone 2". I would hook an amp up to them, and hook the patio speakers to that amp.

arny ...

1. I just like the sound from 4 speakers vs just the 2 fronts. To me, it just sounds more "spacious". Just personal preferance from my audio system in my other house. I haven't even hooked this new system up yet, so I was just asking if the way I show it here would be ok.

2. The problem with using the Zone 2 line level outputs on my reciever is that they would need to be connected to a power amp. I just wanted to run the listening room fronts from it's own separate power amp, and the rears with the other power amp. I did not want to share these 2 power amps with the 2 speakers in the outside patio ... and I don't want to buy another separate power amp to run those patio speakers either.

So, I thought ... the power amp that's in the reciever is doing nothing ... so, why not just let it run the outside patio speakers via the speaker wire connections on the back of the reciever.

Ron,
post #4 of 5 Old 06-11-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 1025
Quote:

arny ...
1. I just like the sound from 4 speakers vs just the 2 fronts. To me, it just sounds more "spacious". Just personal preferance from my audio system in my other house. I haven't even hooked this new system up yet, so I was just asking if the way I show it here would be ok.
2. The problem with using the Zone 2 line level outputs on my reciever is that they would need to be connected to a power amp. I just wanted to run the listening room fronts from it's own separate power amp, and the rears with the other power amp. I did not want to share these 2 power amps with the 2 speakers in the outside patio ... and I don't want to buy another separate power amp to run those patio speakers either.
So, I thought ... the power amp that's in the reciever is doing nothing ... so, why not just let it run the outside patio speakers via the speaker wire connections on the back of the reciever.
Ron,

Thinking about it some more - yes you should be able to just do that with a short RCA cable.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-12-2012, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Ron,

Six of one, a half dozen of another.

Why not run the inside speakers off of the AVR?  Does it not have enough WPC? 

All in all, your diagram does work.  It just seems kinda redundant.  The AVR is made for two sets of speakers, and it has a Zone 2.

So AVR->via Pre-out->to Amp 1(Speakers A)->to Amp 2(Speakers B).  Is the Same as AVR ->Speaker A & AVR ->Speaker B.  No need for Amp, AVR does it all.  In that case, all you would need is 1 Amp for outside speakers via Pre-outs...

Just my 2%.

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page