Speaker wire. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-14-2012, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone recommend a speaker wire brand that is NOT CCA.(copper clad aluminum) I've seen lots of stuff advertized as "PURE oxgen free copper" and they fail to mention that it is CCA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 88
It is not hard to find. Lamp cord of appropriate gauge from your local home improvement store will do the job. Avoid "speaker wire" from the same place unless you know exactly what it is because, as you found, you may wind up getting CCA. If you want an on-line source, try monoprice.
post #3 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Is the monoprice wire a for sure pure copper wire.
post #4 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 1155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersroc View Post

Can someone recommend a speaker wire brand that is NOT CCA.(copper clad aluminum) I've seen lots of stuff advertized as "PURE oxgen free copper" and they fail to mention that it is CCA.

I've never actually ever seen a speaker wire that was CCA. If they call it copper wire, it is usually at least 99% copper.

Oxygen Free Copper (OFHC) wire is usually 99.99+ % copper.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I recommend that you go to the Monoprice website and purchase product #2791.

That is a 100-foot roll of 14 gauge 99.9% copper speaker wire, for $25.

Almost all speaker wire is pure copper; CCA is not commonly sold as speaker wire. I very much doubt that "lots of stuff' that is CCA even exists; you are not well-informed on the subject.

Quote:

post #6 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

I am not trying to start a debate. I am just trying to get some correct information. I just started looking for wire a few days ago and this is what I found. I went to Home Depot as was suggested by a post. I found it online and read the (1) review of it by a guy who installed it only to find out it was CCA when he soldered it. If it wasnt for this guys post I would be sitting at home right now not writing this but listening to my new wire downgrade with a big grin on my face. The wire was RCA speaker wire and I guess it used to be pure copper until the price of copper doubled so they switched to CCA to keep prices reasonable and margins intact. It does not say CCA on the roll. I resumed my search for wire on Ebay and most of the reasonably priced stuff was CCA and not everything clearly indicated it was CCA it was only after doing some digging that I find out it is CCA. One thing that is clearly labeled though is that the Copper is 100% pure and oxygen FREE! which is kinda pointless now that the wire is primarily aluminum. Uninformed as I am I am trying to inform myself with not much luck as now I am skeptical that anything I buy that is not ten bucks a foot monster cable is not CCA. Someone who is informed should make a list of brands and vendors who sells pure copper speaker wire. I have sent emails to a couple venders including monoprice asking if the wire is CCA. Have not heard back yet. I am talking about the outside the wall stuff not in the wall.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Monoprice got back to me and confirmed that the wire is not CCA or any other copper clad product. It is pure copper.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 57
In 30 years in audio as a hobbyist and professionally, I have never even seen CCA so you are projecting a lot from one posting.
When visiting on of the largest cable (mainly power) manufacturers here, I asked what the purity of the bulk stock from the foundry was, and was told 'four nines'.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Well I must have just invariably stumbled into a pile of *hit. Happens.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

It appears that at least some of the speaker cable marketed under the RCA brand is indeed CCA. This isn't the first thread in which it has come up.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 1155
Quote:

I am not trying to start a debate. I am just trying to get some correct information. I just started looking for wire a few days ago and this is what I found. I went to Home Depot as was suggested by a post. I found it online and read the (1) review of it by a guy who installed it only to find out it was CCA when he soldered it. If it wasnt for this guys post I would be sitting at home right now not writing this but listening to my new wire downgrade with a big grin on my face. The wire was RCA speaker wire and I guess it used to be pure copper until the price of copper doubled so they switched to CCA to keep prices reasonable and margins intact. It does not say CCA on the roll. I resumed my search for wire on Ebay and most of the reasonably priced stuff was CCA and not everything clearly indicated it was CCA it was only after doing some digging that I find out it is CCA. One thing that is clearly labeled though is that the Copper is 100% pure and oxygen FREE! which is kinda pointless now that the wire is primarily aluminum. Uninformed as I am I am trying to inform myself with not much luck as now I am skeptical that anything I buy that is not ten bucks a foot monster cable is not CCA. Someone who is informed should make a list of brands and vendors who sells pure copper speaker wire. I have sent emails to a couple venders including monoprice asking if the wire is CCA. Have not heard back yet. I am talking about the outside the wall stuff not in the wall.

HD does in fact stock aluminum electrical wire, but only in wire gauges that are far larger than 12 - for large feeders and entry wiring.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Here is an interesting article. Note they are talking about communication wire not speaker wire. I thought that in wall speaker wire would be ok cause it has to meet construction codes and firing ratings etc. But it apparently is not garuanteed either.

http://www.cablinginstall.com/index/display/article-display/4838983421/articles/cabling-installation-maintenance/news/network-cable/cat6/2011/3/CCCA-CDA-warn-against-copper-clad-aluminum-cables.html
post #13 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

post #14 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

...but only in wire gauges that are far larger than 12 - for large feeders and entry wiring.
Don't be so sure of that. If they stock RCA brand speaker wire like the one near me, the odds are it is CCA. Mediabridge also markets CCA spearker wires, except they say the wire is CCA.

FWIW RCA is not the RCA of old. The brand is licensed to a number of companies. Audiovox markets RCA branded speaker cable.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page