Advice needed, hard of hearing - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for some advise & hope this is the right place I would really appreciate some suggestions.

I have recently lost a lot of hearing & really struggle to hear films from the standard TV speakers.
What i'm trying to achieve is to some how have our TV outputting sound and have the sound sent to headphones at the same time. So my Wife can listen normally and I can listen clearly with headphones.

My Setup,

LED Samsung TV 32"
XBMC running on a PC, the video and audio both go through HDMI to the TV.

I have looked at trying to get the PC to output the audio on two hardware outputs but it cant be done.

My TV does not have any outputs other than a headphone socket & optical out, when I plug headphones into the TV the sound then stops coming out the speakers.

What I'm looking for is some sort Box that will sent the HDMI video and Audio to the TV & also output to a RCA or headphone socket preferably amplified for the headphones.

I can't seem to find a simply solution.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 746
See if your HTPC would let you run just the video out over HDMI and the audio over the analog output from your PC to your TV. If so, you can split the analog out and run it to your TV and then also get a headphone amplifier that will accept the analog input.
critso likes this.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #3 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, That's a good and simply suggestion.

I forgot to mention that we also have a Wii console attached to the TV via the composite port.

From what I can see, The TV inputs are hdmi and composite, the composite is used by the Wii.

I was kinda looking for a hardware solution that will send the HDMI video and Audio to the TV & also output to a RCA or headphone socket preferably amplified for the headphones.

Would an AV receiver do this, I have looked at the specs of some Sony units but can't see clearly or understand the terminological.

Example the STR-DH820 has Analog Audio Out but does not explain how and from what sources.

Cheers
post #4 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

I forgot to mention that we also have a Wii console attached to the TV via the composite port.

From what I can see, The TV inputs are hdmi and composite, the composite is used by the Wii.

I was kinda looking for a hardware solution that will send the HDMI video and Audio to the TV & also output to a RCA or headphone socket preferably amplified for the headphones.

Would an AV receiver do this, I have looked at the specs of some Sony units but can't see clearly or understand the terminological.

Example the STR-DH820 has Analog Audio Out but does not explain how and from what sources.

Cheers
post #5 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Cheers
post #6 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Quote:
Originally Posted by critso View Post

Hello Everyone,
I'm looking for some advise & hope this is the right place I would really appreciate some suggestions.
I have recently lost a lot of hearing & really struggle to hear films from the standard TV speakers.
What i'm trying to achieve is to some how have our TV outputting sound and have the sound sent to headphones at the same time. So my Wife can listen normally and I can listen clearly with headphones.
My Setup,
LED Samsung TV 32"
XBMC running on a PC, the video and audio both go through HDMI to the TV.

I have looked at trying to get the PC to output the audio on two hardware outputs but it cant be done.
My TV does not have any outputs other than a headphone socket & optical out, when I plug headphones into the TV the sound then stops coming out the speakers.
What I'm looking for is some sort Box that will sent the HDMI video and Audio to the TV & also output to a RCA or headphone socket preferably amplified for the headphones.

Optical-to-analog and HDMI-to-analog converters exist in numerous kinds and at various prices.

My Mitsubishi TV's only audio output is coax, and it is connected to a stereo recieiver, and thence to my Sennheiser wireless headphones via a surround processor that is set to stereo.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I would suggest that you spend $150 or so for a Denon AVR-1312 receiver.

Then you can connect everything to the receiver and the HDMI output of the receiver will connect to the TV set.

That will be much simpler and more flexible than trying do a bunch of Mickey-mouse work-arounds like you are trying to do.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Would this output to hdmi and headphones at the same time?.
post #9 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Double post sorry
post #10 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Quote:
Originally Posted by critso View Post

Would this output to hdmi and headphones at the same time?.

Yes. I agree with critso that this is a simple, economic solution.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes; the receiver has a headphone jack that does not affect the HDMI output.

You can just listen to the TV speakers if you want, and not connect any speakers to the receiver, but I will bet that if you connect a relatively inexpensive set of speakers to the receiver, the sound will be so much better that you may not even want to use the headphones. Built-in TV speakers range from fair to horrible.

The Boston Acoustics CS23 speakers, for example, are only $80 per pair and will sound pretty good.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-17-2012, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advise, sound like what I'm after, speakers might help. Do all the hdmi av receivers have this feature or just the denon's ?
post #13 of 14 Old 06-18-2012, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Some do; some don't. You just need to go to the manufacturer's website and look at the specifications page carefully to see what features they have.

I think the 1312 is a very good unit for the money.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-22-2012, 03:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
It looks like the suggestions here are good, probably more simple than what came to my mind. If you have a receiver with pre-outs on the back, a headphone amplifier could be connected to the front L/R jacks. Any sound the receiver plays through the two main channels also goes to the pre-outs. Of course, the previous suggestions are just as good or better. wink.gif

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page