Can I connect a powered subwoofer to my TV ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-17-2012, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can I connect a powered subwoofer to my TV and get bass from tv shows, movies and PS3 ?

I have a Sony Bravia 40ex400 LCD

Here are the specs of the TV ...

Inputs and Outputs -

AC Power Input : 1 (Rear) Pigtail
Analog Audio Input(s) (Total) : 4 (1 Side / 3 Rear)
Audio Out : 1(Rear)
Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr) Input(s) : 2 (Rear) (1 fixed/1 selectable)
Composite Video Input(s) : 2 (1 Side/1 Rear)
Digital Audio Output(s) : Optical Digital Output - 1 (Rear)
HDMI™ Connection(s) (Total) : 4 (2 Side/2 Rear)
HDMI™ PC Input : Yes
PC In (D-Sub) + Audio In (Stereo Mini) : 1(Rear) ( common with HDMI 1) (stereo Mini)
RF Connection Input(s) : 1 (Rear)
USB 2.0 : 1(Side)

Audio Features -

5.1 Channel Audio Out : Yes
5.1ch Through Out (Handycam) : Yes
Alternate Audio (Digital) : yes
Audio Out : Fixed
Auto Mute (on no signal) : Yes
Auto SAP : 20FM/10AM
Clear Voice : Yes
Dolby® : Dolby® Digital
Invisible Speaker (w/Sound Elevation) : Yes
Sound Mode : Dynamic, Standard, Clear Voice, Custom
SteadySound® Automatic Volume Control : Yes
Stereo System : MTS
Surround Effect : Cinema, Music, Live Sports, Game

If I purchase a home powered subwoofer that has RCA Line In Inputs can it work with my TV ? From what Ive read I can just connect RCA jacks from my Audio Out on my TV to the RCA Line In on the subwoofer ? Will that give me bass from tv shows, movies and a PS3 ?? Will there be any sync issues or is it just that simple ?

I just purchased a Sony HT - CT150 soundbar with subwoofer. The sub is perfect but the soundbar sounds basically the same as my TV speakers - which is fine by me - my TV speakers are not that bad. But $250 is a little bit too much just to add a subwoofer. I have the Sub set at 0 and Bass set at 0 and it really kicks. Im in a small 450 sq ft apartment and anything above the 0 rocks the walls and floors - it really is too powerful for my space. I will be taking it back.

So Im not looking for something like a full blown home theater, I just would like to add some bass to the TV I have. Just to have the low rumbles and booms while watching tv shows, movies and games is all I am looking for but I think $250 is too much just for that.

I was looking into these subs....

Pioneer SW-8 (dual RCA input)
Polk Audio PSW10 (dual RCA input)
BIC AMERICA V-80 (single RCA Input)
Logitech Speaker System Z523 with Subwoofer (dual RCA Input)

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-17-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS2012 View Post

If I purchase a home powered subwoofer that has RCA Line In Inputs can it work with my TV ? From what Ive read I can just connect RCA jacks from my Audio Out on my TV to the RCA Line In on the subwoofer ? Will that give me bass from tv shows, movies and a PS3 ?? Will there be any sync issues or is it just that simple ?

Yes and maybe. Yet you can plug up one of those subs up to the RCAs if the sub has RCA L/R inputs. But maybe cause your TV may not output sound over the built in speakers if you are using that RCA jack. Take a closer look at your manual, and then see how you configure output over those RCAs. In fact, turn it on if there is an option for that and see if sound still comes out.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #3 of 9 Old 06-18-2012, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Almost all TVs shut off the TV speakers when you select the external audio outputs.

You might want to consider spending $150 on a Denon 1312 receiver and get a pair of inexpensive speakers, and connect the sub to the receiver sub output. The Boston CS23 speakers are nice, for $80.

It would almost certainly sound a lot better than the TV speakers and give you a lot more connection options and flexibility.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-18-2012, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

But maybe cause your TV may not output sound over the built in speakers if you are using that RCA jack. Take a closer look at your manual, and then see how you configure output over those RCAs. In fact, turn it on if there is an option for that and see if sound still comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Almost all TVs shut off the TV speakers when you select the external audio outputs.

Thanks for the replies....

I had RCA jacks connected to the Audio Output on the back of my TV and had headphones connected to them.

I had the headphones connected to a headphone volume control adapter and the adapter connected to a stereo mini jack at the end of the RCA jacks.

These items....
http://www.amazon.com/Koss-155954-VC20-Volume-Control/dp/B00001P4XH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340070598&sr=8-1&keywords=headphone+volume+control+adapter

http://www.amazon.com/Male-3-5mm-Stereo-Female-Y-Cable/dp/B000I23TTE/ref=sr_1_23?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1340070701&sr=1-23&keywords=rca+y+adapter

From what I remember is that I had to turn the TV volume down and use the Volume control on the adapter. So the TV volume still worked. I will try it again to make sure, just have to dig out the wires and connect them.

So if the TV volume still works with headphones connected to the TVs Audio Out jacks does that mean if I connected a powered subwoofer it would work ?

I already have to return the Sony soundbar, I really dont want to buy a subwoofer and then end up having to return that also. Plus I see the best deals online for them and probably would end up having to pay return shipping and what not.

Thanks
post #5 of 9 Old 06-19-2012, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
If TV speakers and RCA outputs both work at the same time, then yes, you can connect a sub to the RCA, set it to whatever crossover desired, and it should work. One problem, though, is you'll have to adjust sub level on the sub itself any time you change TV volume if you want the sub to match the rest of your sound.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-19-2012, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorrpio View Post

If TV speakers and RCA outputs both work at the same time, then yes, you can connect a sub to the RCA, set it to whatever crossover desired, and it should work. One problem, though, is you'll have to adjust sub level on the sub itself any time you change TV volume if you want the sub to match the rest of your sound.

I would need a actual crossover, like for car audio ? I can deal with manually adjusting the bass, it will be mainly for movies.

Now I still have the Sony Soundbar, so if I connect the RCA Audio Outputs on my TV to the Sonys subwoofers TV Audio In RCA jacks - the subwoofer should work, right ? I will not have the soundbar connected. The subwoofer has all sorts of inputs to select on the menu, not sure if that would make a difference, or if the soundbar HAS to be connected . It should work like a regular powered subwoofer, right ?

Thanks
post #7 of 9 Old 06-19-2012, 08:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Pretty much all home audio subs have a built in amp with a low pass filter crossover so you can set it to kick in where your speakers start to roll off naturally.

Sorry. Don't know anything about soundbars.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #8 of 9 Old 06-21-2012, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I tried the subwoofer that came with the CT150 and it worked. It synced up and gave the bass that I wanted.

I hooked up RCA jacks to the Audio Out RCA jacks on the TV then to the RCA Audio In Jacks on the subwoofer and set the subwoofer to TV.

Thanks
post #9 of 9 Old 06-21-2012, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Awesome. Glad that worked for you smile.gif

And you should definitely return the soundbar/sub package and get something else. I looked it up, and that soundbar sub is only 5 1/8"--not really much of a sub at all, more of a midbass module. I wouldn't even pay $100 for it.

Here's a very good 8" sub: Mirage Omni S8. It also has the level and crossover dials on the front, making easier to make adjustments as you need to. Should give you some solid lower end bass for an 8" sub in that price range.

Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page