Speaker Placement Problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-21-2012, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in progress of moving into my new house and I'm having some issues deciding how to place my speakers. The diagram below is not to scale, but a pretty solid representation of what the room is like. The primary problem comes in with the Side Left (SL) speaker and therefore also affects the Side Right (SR) speaker. Where the SL speaker is to go, there is no wall, it's all open to the hallway/up the stairs. The grey bar represents a beam that comes down about 6 inches from the ceiling. I don't know exactly the height of the ceiling, didn't think to measure, but i would say it's probably standard 8ft. I was thinking about mounting the SL to the ceiling and i'm assuming i should mount the SR at the same height to balance the two out (yes/no?).

If I do mount those high up, should they be angled down towards the center of the room and furthermore angled towards the center viewing position since they are a few feet in front of the center position?

Then from there, should i mount my back speakers and height speakers at normal levels, or high up on the ceiling as well? Or should i just forget setting up SL/SR speakers and go with a 5.1 plus the height speakers? I would really like to stick with 7.1 + Height if i could, but if it'll do more harm than good i can reason.

Lastly, should the height speakers be angled down and furthermore angled in towards the center viewing position, or level and perpendicular to the wall, OR level but in towards the center position (if confused, i'll further clarify)?

theater.png

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-22-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I can't really tell where there's a wall or not in your drawing, but I can tell you that symmetry is needed in the front part of the room. This short article explains the basics:

How to set up a room

I'm guessing you'll do better to flip things around so the speakers are in front of the wall on the right, facing toward the left. Also, speakers should be at at ear level, not above pointing down.

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #3 of 5 Old 06-22-2012, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post

I can't really tell where there's a wall or not in your drawing, but I can tell you that symmetry is needed in the front part of the room.

Thanks, i'll read the writeup. The black lines are walls, that grey line going across is a beam that comes down about 6" from the ceiling, otherwise that area from the floor up to the beam (about 7.5') is completely open so there is no way to put the surround left speaker at ear level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post

Also, speakers should be at at ear level, not above pointing down.
--Ethan

I know, that is my biggest concern and it is impossible for me to get my surround left (SL) speaker at ear level, without it looking stupid and having a random speaker hanging out it in between the hallway and living room. Not to mention, it would get knocked over like crazy. That's why im wondering if I should mount the surround left (SL) speaker to the ceiling and if i do, should i leave the surround right (SR) speaker at ear level or balance it out with the SL speaker and mount it high as well?

I've come to decide that all the other speakers i'll set up in normal positions, the main question is what to do with the SL and SR speakers?

I'm trying to figure out what is best for my situation. Obviously my room is not ideal for the set up i want, so i'm trying to make the best out of what i have to work with.
Quote:
I'm guessing you'll do better to flip things around so the speakers are in front of the wall on the right, facing toward the left.
--Ethan

Let me know if i'm reading this right. Are you suggesting that i put the SBL and SBR speakers flat against the right side wall (so facing directly at the tv/front of the room) and not to angle them in towards the center viewing position?

post #4 of 5 Old 06-23-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Too bad your TV is wider than the wall between the windows at the top wall, because then you could aim the speakers down toward the bottom of the drawing. Unless you're willing to live with those windows being partly blocked. I can't tell you what to do in your specific setting, only the basic principles for best sound.

As for aiming the speakers, as you can see in the article I linked, all speakers should indeed be pointing toward the listening position.

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #5 of 5 Old 06-23-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That's what i originally had in mind to do, place the tv between the two windows where SR is, but it wouldn't look right. Thanks for the replies and i think i know what i'll do now. Worse comes to i can always change things around if it doesn't sound right.

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page