Help out a Noob with oppo 83se setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-25-2012, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I have a few questions about setup for an oppo 83se to work with a DNLA server. First of all I tired to find some info here http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-83-faq.html and I also called oppo, both were helpful but I still go some questions left. First I was considering a oppo 95 mainly for its great sabre dac but im on a budget so the 83se also has a great dac but at much lower price so Im hoping this works out. So here are some questions to help me out.

1) oppo 83se does not support FLAC but is there any firmware updates out that will let it play flac?
2) Can the oppo 83se play music off a network enabled storage such as a time capsule or does it absolutely need DNLA?
3) If I need DNLA it will have to be installed on my mac, is PLEX a good choice, or is there something better (looking for easy setup, non-down sampling lossless audio)
4) Finally the people at oppo said that LPCM/PCM is a good choice to convert to from flac does this negatively effect the SQ?
5) also does MOG work with the 83se?

Many thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-25-2012, 06:00 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanrocks321 View Post

Hi, I have a few questions about setup for an oppo 83se to work with a DNLA server. First of all I tired to find some info here http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-83-faq.html and I also called oppo, both were helpful but I still go some questions left. First I was considering a oppo 95 mainly for its great sabre dac but im on a budget so the 83se also has a great dac but at much lower price so Im hoping this works out. So here are some questions to help me out.

1) oppo 83se does not support FLAC but is there any firmware updates out that will let it play flac?
2) Can the oppo 83se play music off a network enabled storage such as a time capsule or does it absolutely need DNLA?
3) If I need DNLA it will have to be installed on my mac, is PLEX a good choice, or is there something better (looking for easy setup, non-down sampling lossless audio)
4) Finally the people at oppo said that LPCM/PCM is a good choice to convert to from flac does this negatively effect the SQ?
5) also does MOG work with the 83se?

Many thanks in advance.

There are BDP-83 and -83SE threads you might try. The BDP-93 supports FLAC which would solve some of your problems.

(1) No, there are no BDP-83 firmware updates that add FLAC.

(2) DLNA is the only network access method.

(3) Try the OPPO DLNA thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1215071/oppo-bdp-83-dlna-upnp-thread

(4) It's lossless to lossless should it should not harm the quality.

(5) "MOG (online music), a social networking website and blog network"? No.

-Bill
post #3 of 5 Old 06-25-2012, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Bill for the info. really helpful. the 93 is good but Im a big fan of the sabre 32 dac im not sure whats in the 93 though.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-25-2012, 06:11 PM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:

Thanks Bill for the info. really helpful. the 93 is good but Im a big fan of the sabre 32 dac im not sure whats in the 93 though.

See What DACs does the BDP-93 use for analog audio?

-Bill
post #5 of 5 Old 06-26-2012, 05:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:

Don't get played by people who go on and on about the audible differences among good converters Likely source of their perceptions is what they read, really poorly done listening tests, and their imaginations. One blind test and they are reduced to random guessing. The Cirrus chip Oppo uses is vast overkill, and the Sabre chips while better on paper, are overkill squared.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

Tags
Oppo Bdp 83se Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page