Need help wiring my Zone 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-28-2012, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

First of all thanks for all the great advice and help on this forum.

Secondly, its been awhile since high school physics so before I spend hours scouring the internet and drawing (then crossing out and redrawing) diagrams, I thought I would inquire here as to any shortcuts or help/advice the pros here might have. I have an Onkyo txnr 709 receiver and the specs can be seen here: http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-NR709&class=Receiver&p=s

I am planning on using the zone one to play a 5.1 or 7.1 in my theater room. Also, it has a powered zone 2 that I intend to use to power my multi-room audio. I have the following speakers I intend to run throughout my house:

8 energy rc micros (4 pairs to 4 different rooms) Impedance: 8 ohm compatible, recommended amp power 20-100 watts continuous
4 Yamaha Ns-aw 190 (2 pairs, both outdoor) Impedance: 6 ohm, Nominal input 35 W, Maximum input 120 W

Questions:

1) Is it possible to wire all of these speakers to the zone 2 of my receiver?
2) Is there an easy way to figure out the wiring so as to supply adequate wattage and resistance?
3) Is there a way to wire it so that I may play only some of the speakers at a time (in other words attach to a switch so as to play certain rooms as desired, or only the outside speakers at some point and not at others)
4) If, after it is hooked up, some speakers play too loudly relative to the others on the same zone, how does one account for this so that all are at an appropriate volume...in other words, if I wanted my outdoor speakers louder than my indoor but want them playing at the same time, is there any way of doing this?

Thanks so much for all suggestions/help/input!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Considering that many receivers these days can’t even deliver their maximum rated power to all channels simultaneously, there’s no way I’d run that many Zone 2 speakers on a receiver.

There’s no free lunch. Even with combination series/parallel wiring stunts to achieve the correct load (ohms), there’s no escaping the fact that you’re dividing out the amp’s power to numerous transducers, to the point that each speaker will be receiving only a few watts. “Few watts” naturally delivers low volume, which means you turn up the volume to compensate. So, what you end up with is, even though you have a “correct” load, you’re running the amp wide open all the time, or near it. Not good.

There’s really no good way to “cheap out” on whole-room audio, at least not at the level you’re talking about. The best approach is to get the necessary equipment to adequately accommodate your goals. Home Theater Direct offers perhaps the most affordable options, you might check their website.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt