Wireless headphones from TV's Digital audio out - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-03-2012, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
jmcmil9272's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm planning on buying a Panasonic or Samsung plasma TV and would like to hookup my RCA wireless Headphones to the the digital audio out with a FiiO D3 Digital to Analog Audio Converter. Will this work and if so is one TV better than the other for this? Thank you for your help.
. jmcmil9272
jmcmil9272 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 07-03-2012, 08:40 PM
Member
 
wwylie8643@sbcgl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Peoria, Il
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That should work but I see no big advantage using a D to A converter for wireless headphones for TV viewing unless I'm missing something.
I would just run analog out of the TV into the headphones. I have a Samsung LED for a little over a year and have been very happy with the quality
of build and picture after a litte tweaking.
wwylie8643@sbcgl is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 07-03-2012, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
domino92024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcmil9272 View Post

I'm planning on buying a Panasonic or Samsung plasma TV and would like to hookup my RCA wireless Headphones to the the digital audio out with a FiiO D3 Digital to Analog Audio Converter. Will this work and if so is one TV better than the other for this? Thank you for your help.
. jmcmil9272

Be aware that that audio DAC will not decode any DD5.1 that the TV's internal tuner tunes on ATSC signals. Sony makes a nice wireless headphone that connects directly to the digital audio output from the TV and works with either DD or PCM audio.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666290086

Places like Amazon have them for less.
domino92024 is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 12-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Member
 
Jasonzo6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a Panasonic TV and I'm no longer able to hook-up my Senn analog input winreless headphones. Here is the back of the TV... I'd like to get something that I could use on the TV (Netflix) and the DVR. Any ideas?

http://asset3.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/05/30/TC-P65VT50_35118305_35118304_16_1_610x459.jpg
Jasonzo6 is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 12-31-2012, 06:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 13,901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 1065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonzo6 View Post

I bought a Panasonic TV and I'm no longer able to hook-up my Senn analog input winreless headphones. Here is the back of the TV... I'd like to get something that I could use on the TV (Netflix) and the DVR. Any ideas?

http://asset3.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/05/30/TC-P65VT50_35118305_35118304_16_1_610x459.jpg

You may need a device that has an optical input and handles both stereo PCM and Dolby Digtal Surround, per post 3, unless there is a setup option on your TV to force its digital output into PCM mode.

Since you didn't say which model Tv you've got - it is up to you do your own research about that PCM setting for your TV's digital output.

Otherwise, you need some kind of a surround processor with a digital input. One common example of such a thing is called an AVR.

I did some searching and found this device on ebay that may work, or not. For the low cost, you might want to give it a spin:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-USB-Multi-Channel-Surround-Sound-Processor-With-Optical-I-O-/310365628769
arnyk is online now  
post #6 of 8 Old 12-31-2012, 08:59 AM
Member
 
Jasonzo6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the info, I have a Panny 65vt50 and it does have an optical out but I couldn't find any headphones that use that connection, everything I've seen has the analog out and I can't connect those to this TV. Plus, I need it to hook-up to the TV and the DVR. Kinda' sucks to get a high end TV only to find that there are no headsets out there that will work. frown.gif I've been using Senn 120's forever and have two receivers, one plugged into the DVR and one in the 400 DVD carousel and I was able to switch channels on the headset between the two, so that has worked great for many years until the recent upgrade.

Just checked out the link in post #3 though and see that that set offers the digial out. More than I was wanting to spend, but worth it if that will solve my problem. Does anyone have a set of the Sony's that they use on more than one input?
Jasonzo6 is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 03-14-2013, 09:57 AM
Member
 
Chuck666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonzo6 View Post

Thanks for the info, I have a Panny 65vt50 and it does have an optical out but I couldn't find any headphones that use that connection, everything I've seen has the analog out and I can't connect those to this TV. Plus, I need it to hook-up to the TV and the DVR. Kinda' sucks to get a high end TV only to find that there are no headsets out there that will work. frown.gif I've been using Senn 120's forever and have two receivers, one plugged into the DVR and one in the 400 DVD carousel and I was able to switch channels on the headset between the two, so that has worked great for many years until the recent upgrade.

Just checked out the link in post #3 though and see that that set offers the digial out. More than I was wanting to spend, but worth it if that will solve my problem. Does anyone have a set of the Sony's that they use on more than one input?

I also, have the 120's. You need a quality D to A converter that passes DD5.1. I bought GeFen GTV-DD2AA decoder. http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=5980 $129. I found them on Ebay last year for about $70. They work great with my Mits 82740 digital out (coax cable). Or, the Sony or Pioneer $$$$$$$$$$$$ headphones.

Mitsbishi 82740 DLP
Yamaha RX-V371 A/V Receiver
HR-34 DirecTv DVR and HD-31 Extender Receiver
Panasonic DMP-BDT210 BD Player
Win 8.1 Home Built Computer
Win 8.1 HTPC Gaming Computer
Chuck666 is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 01-12-2014, 05:44 PM
Newbie
 
360guy5x5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jason,
Did you ever figure out whether the Sony MDR6500 Headphones would work with your Panny. I have a 55GT50 and I came across your forum discussion researching the same question you had. How to
hook up the digital optical cable to a audio source when my Pioneer VX 53 only has a front the "headphone" analog jack but does have ARC HDMI to the Panny? Any in help would be most appreciated.

Mike
360guy5x5 is offline  
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off