ARC Is my personal savior ! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-05-2012, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ARC yes Audio Return Channel is my new and best technology savior of the year. For several months now I've been asking people on different forums one very simple question. HDD connected directly to HDTV (Samsung UN55C7000, 2010 Model) with library of MKV and MKV 3D that have very nice DTS, HDD as well as DTS-HD and TrueHD audio tracks for respective movies. So how can I get that nice HD sound because optical connection TV to AVR does not support any TrueHD and/or DTS-HD and nothing above 5.1, so no 7.1 . And best I've got is get separate media player like A-300 and do audio passtrue your AVR so it can grab audio from MKVs and play them. Well good one but not good enough I guess. Today I am reading my TV manual and I see that Port 2 Hdmi have support for ARC and right away I knew that this is it , this is exactly what I need, A HDMI cable that not only bring data to TV but can also send data from my TV to something else , in my case Audio from my Hard Drive movies with HD sound. I put my favorite IMAX 3D documentary and BOOM ! What a difference ..... Anyhow I hope someone will read this and will know what to do as well. One question remains. HDMI ARC Technology does it support ALL kind of audio streams or it'll transmit to AVR whatever I got, because honestly I forgot what MKV ( I have over 200) have actually HD sound and 7.1 track biggrin.gif Anyhow thanks a lot guys this forum rocks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-06-2012, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 122
ARC does not support lossless audio. It merely saves one cable. You get the same output you woud get using an optical connection.
post #3 of 14 Old 07-06-2012, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Interesting, are you sure about this because I did tried few mkvs and on receiver now I do see dts-es in one in other movie I see dots descrete and other I see dots matrix, I never saw this messages on avr before, also in some I see Neo lighes up as well so I am not sure but before I saw did and dots lights up now I see all diffident messages.
post #4 of 14 Old 07-06-2012, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I am not sure how but I just ran Toy Story 3 with according to Avi info has 8 channels. I see DTS-ES DECR. on Receiver and I do hear 2 back speakers. I mean it may be "fake" sounds generated by receiver but it sounds good. Do you know where I can read on ARC limits ?
post #5 of 14 Old 07-06-2012, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
DTS-ES isn't a high res format and can be passed by spdif. If you want the high res, you'll need a separate player.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-06-2012, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 122
+1

DTS-ES is standard, lossy DTS with an additional rear channel that can be either matrix encoded or discrete. It is not lossless audio. You are fortunate to get a DTS output from your TV as most sets only do DD 5.1 and stereo PCM. ARC is not giving you any benefit, though, beyond saving a cable. You'd get the same DTS-ES output over an optical cable.
post #7 of 14 Old 07-06-2012, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

I see what you mean guys, thank you for clarifying this to me. In that case, anyone can recommend player for me ? I just need it to have internal 3.5 HDD , be able to play my MKVs and able to send "right" Audio to my AVR. I looked up on A-300 but damn it's a lot of money, anything similar with features I need out there ? Thanks guys !

P.S.

What audio considered to me "pure" ? Cause in that case I do not see anything like this in my library, except when it's like this:

Audio #1
ID : 2
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Format profile : MA / Core
Muxing mode : Header stripping
Codec ID : A_DTS
Duration : 2h 16mn
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s) : 7 channels / 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: C, LFE / Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 24 bits
Compression mode : Lossless / Lossy
Stream size : 1.44 GiB (4%)
Title : DTS-HD MA 6.1
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

And as you can see it's Lossless / Lossy. What formats I should look for in Audio section for it to consider HD Sound ?

Thanks once again !
post #8 of 14 Old 07-07-2012, 12:50 PM

That track is a DTS-MA (lossless) track with a lossy core. All (?) HD audio tracks have a lossy core for legacy equipment to use when it can't support the lossless stream. That's why your system is playing the DTS-ES stream, it's extracting it from the DTS-MA track.
I can't recommend any standalone players as I really only have experience with HTPCs and not the networked media players but people seem to love the popcorn hours.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-08-2012, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillho View Post

That track is a DTS-MA (lossless) track with a lossy core. All (?) HD audio tracks have a lossy core for legacy equipment to use when it can't support the lossless stream. That's why your system is playing the DTS-ES stream, it's extracting it from the DTS-MA track.
I can't recommend any standalone players as I really only have experience with HTPCs and not the networked media players but people seem to love the popcorn hours.

I see well, let's talk about HTPC (IT's home theater Personal computer right ?). I do have integrated Gigabit all around the house with my private FTP server I use for other things. Now from what I understand a lot of people using PCs as streaming and storage device however I don't understand whole concept of it. And will I be able to get HD sound with PC streaming ? IF so will it be possible with hardware I currently have ? Thank you !
post #10 of 14 Old 07-08-2012, 04:31 PM

With Ethernet already run and a server in place you're really not too far off from a decent media setup. Whether or not you can use your existing PC depends on what that hardware is. What do you have for CPU/video card?
post #11 of 14 Old 07-09-2012, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Right now I am with i7 920 and 6970 GPU. My GPU does not have hdmi only 2 DVI yet it came with dvi to hdmi adaptor if I need it
post #12 of 14 Old 07-09-2012, 05:48 AM

The 6970 is capable of bitstreaming. Normally they would have HDMI native but I'd imagine that through the included adapter you should be fine. That system will power through any HTPC task you could throw at it. Maybe a bit overkill through. Heat, noise, and power consumption will be much higher than could be achieved with a dedicated system (i3 2xxx, integrated graphics, cheap case/psu/hdd/ram) you could build for around $300. I'd suggest hooking your PC up and play around with a recent build of XBMC or MPC-HC. Maybe have a read through the threads in the HTPC forum. Once you've got a hang of what's what, look at putting together a second system.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-15-2012, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillho View Post

The 6970 is capable of bitstreaming. Normally they would have HDMI native but I'd imagine that through the included adapter you should be fine. That system will power through any HTPC task you could throw at it. Maybe a bit overkill through. Heat, noise, and power consumption will be much higher than could be achieved with a dedicated system (i3 2xxx, integrated graphics, cheap case/psu/hdd/ram) you could build for around $300. I'd suggest hooking your PC up and play around with a recent build of XBMC or MPC-HC. Maybe have a read through the threads in the HTPC forum. Once you've got a hang of what's what, look at putting together a second system.

I see. How about that New Mac mini ? I really like it, size is perfect. It's kinda expansive bur if let's say I find one used or something can I use it instead of PC in software/performance aspect ?
post #14 of 14 Old 07-22-2012, 07:13 AM

I really have no idea for sure but I have a feeling that HTPC software for OSX isn't as mature as on Windows.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page