help and advice needed on setting up church pa system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-18-2012, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,
I really hope you can help me, i'm a bit of a novice but willing to learn I have just moved to another area and church which has no pa system apart from what looks like a karokee machine. I do have a little knowledge about pa's howeveer this is very limited and basic.
The hall holds around 100-150 people

Given what instruments they have I think they could do with

Mixer desk, which I have its old but reliable. It's a samick 12 channel non powered mixer, amp, 4 monitors, multi core, 2 main speakers, 3 mics, something to record services on, and some way to connect the computer to it all, 2 guitars and a keyboard.

Given the size of the room I was thinking that a amp maybe 300w would be eenough
Now the equipment that I have managed to scrounge is

1x whafdale active monitor(300 w)
3x passive monitors(200w)
the above 12 channel mixer
2 passive main speakers(200w)
3 dynamic mics
1 amp-not yet got but 300w, 2 channels-carlsboro

On my mixer it 12 channels which all accept mics /xlrs with line and insert jacks underneath? to the right it has master output left and right,mon out,sum out . Now i get that the mics ,instruments can go in the xlr inputs /channels in which i was going to put a di box inbetween for the keyboard and guitars. from here i'm lost i really need step by step instruction what goes were and the best way to do it.

I know i can slave one passive monitor off the active monitor but no idea how to connect the othe 2 ,the amp,main speakers , how to record and how to connect the laptop if possible. ,if i can connect a laptop is there a way to record the service stright onto it instead of cd?
I am sorry that there are 101 questions but would be thankful for any help or advice that anyone could give.
It may be the case that i need to get a couple of new bit of equipment which i'm open to but the cheapest way possible with the best result would be good as the church is in a very run down and derived part of the country and money is very very limited
Many thanks and godbless
Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-27-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay1976 View Post

Hi Guys,
I really hope you can help me, i'm a bit of a novice but willing to learn I have just moved to another area and church which has no pa system apart from what looks like a karokee machine. I do have a little knowledge about pa's howeveer this is very limited and basic.
The hall holds around 100-150 people
Given what instruments they have I think they could do with
Mixer desk, which I have its old but reliable. It's a samick 12 channel non powered mixer, amp, 4 monitors, multi core, 2 main speakers, 3 mics, something to record services on, and some way to connect the computer to it all, 2 guitars and a keyboard.
Given the size of the room I was thinking that a amp maybe 300w would be eenough
Now the equipment that I have managed to scrounge is
1x whafdale active monitor(300 w)
3x passive monitors(200w)
the above 12 channel mixer
2 passive main speakers(200w)
3 dynamic mics
1 amp-not yet got but 300w, 2 channels-carlsboro
On my mixer it 12 channels which all accept mics /xlrs with line and insert jacks underneath? to the right it has master output left and right,mon out,sum out . Now i get that the mics ,instruments can go in the xlr inputs /channels in which i was going to put a di box inbetween for the keyboard and guitars. from here i'm lost i really need step by step instruction what goes were and the best way to do it.
I know i can slave one passive monitor off the active monitor but no idea how to connect the othe 2 ,the amp,main speakers , how to record and how to connect the laptop if possible. ,if i can connect a laptop is there a way to record the service stright onto it instead of cd?
I am sorry that there are 101 questions but would be thankful for any help or advice that anyone could give.
It may be the case that i need to get a couple of new bit of equipment which i'm open to but the cheapest way possible with the best result would be good as the church is in a very run down and derived part of the country and money is very very limited
Many thanks and godbless
Jay
Yes a lot of questions-here are some quick answers

1: The DI should as close to the source instrument as possible-let the mic line (balanced) go the long distance-therefore there will be less interference and HF loss.

2: I would NOT plan on being able to runt he passive monitors off of the active monitor. I suggest another amp for the monitors

3: Recording depends on how complicated you want to get. Do you want to record the sound coming out of hte loudspeakers (generally not a good idea as the vocals will be much louder than the instruments-or do you want to use an aux get a different mix (preferabbly post fader) so that the recording mix will "follow" the main mix. THis is the better way to get a good recording-but is harder to operate.

4: WHat you record to depends on the type of software you have on your computer.

The "power needed" depends on A LOT of variables. Wattage is one thing-but the sensitivity of the loudspeakers is another-that often has a greater influence than the wattage does..
Choosing the proper loudspeaker to cover the room evenly is the hardest part of any design. Some rooms are easy-some are a lot harder. Very often a single speaker is much better than 2-in terms of clarity.

Danley Sound Labs

Physics-not fads
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page