How much ventilation room is needed? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-18-2012, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How much ventilation would be recommended for my receiver? I have the Pioneer SC-55 and I would like to put it on the bottom shelf of my AV rack. The av rack has a glass door on the front, wood on the sides, and open in the back (no fans). There would be 2 inches of space between the top of the receiver to the next shelf and 1.5 inches space on the left and right side (3 inches total) and again, an open back. Would this be enough for heat to escape without risking overheating?

If not, i could put it on the top shelf which would give 6 inches of space above the receiver and still 1.5 inches on each side with an open back. I'm trying to avoid putting it here for a list of other reasons, but if i have to i will. Would the top shelf provide enough ventilation if the bottom shelf does not work out?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by maygit View Post

How much ventilation would be recommended for my receiver? I have the Pioneer SC-55 and I would like to put it on the bottom shelf of my AV rack. The av rack has a glass door on the front, wood on the sides, and open in the back (no fans). There would be 2 inches of space between the top of the receiver to the next shelf and 1.5 inches space on the left and right side (3 inches total) and again, an open back. Would this be enough for heat to escape without risking overheating?

The open back vastly reduces the risk of overheating.

I just had a stereo receiver burn out on me after about 5-6 years of use. The cabinet that it was in was totally enclosed including glass doors. Some time it got a little hot in there.

In the interest of making the new receiver last maybe a bit longer, I decided to pay a little attention to heat. I bored a 4" hole in the back of the cabinet, centered just under the top. My equipment cabinet's inside temperature dropped to pretty much room temperature. Compared to a cabinet with an open back, it is still very closed in. But one good sized vent located where it would gather all hot air and exhaust it, made all the difference.

If you are worried, get one of those nifty Infrared thermometers and monitor the case temperatures of your equipment. As long as it is under 110-120 degrees max, not to worry.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:07 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Some receivers (i.e. Onkyo) get to 140-150F even on the open shelf. Pioneer probably does not get severe hot like that. But it is better to have it outside of any cabinet, or on rack opened on all sides. When you choosing media cabinet consider that you are putting 500W heater there. That will be a good estimate of what you are dealing with.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 257
The best thing to do is leave the glass front open a couple of inches when the unit is in operation. If I had that setup I would definitely put the amplifier or receiver on top, but if there is nothing above it that will be adversely affected by a bit of heat, it really isn't important.

If that was mine I would seriously consider removing the doors.

The bottom line is that you should be able to lay your palm on the hottest point and leave it there for several seconds with no problem. If it is too hot for that, you have a problem.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
The receiver seems to be doing great on the top shelf. It's hard to say, but i think it would have overheated on the bottom. I didn't take off the back panel on the bottom shelf (would have if the receiver was there), but there was still about an inch slit for heat to escape from my PS3 down there. I was watching Batman Begins and towards the end of the movie heard this LOUD humming noise from my rack. I paused the movie and darted over there freaking out that it was my receiver...nope it was the ps3's fan blowing like a 747 engine. I've never heard it so loud. I took out the movie and pulled the system out to cool down. I could tell the fan was working it's ass off since it took about 4 or 5 drops in fan speed and 5 minutes before it was back down to a normal level. I left the ps3 backwards with the glass door open to finish the movie and watch The Dark Knight. My receiver was pretty cool to the touch through all of this. Looks like i'll be ripping off the backer on the bottom anyway.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Remember the SC-55 is a class D amp and therefore consistent with your observation. It's not an Onkyo or Denon. I myself still wouldn't put it inside a wooden cabinet. What does the manual recommend? If still unsure ask in the SC-55 thread in the receiver forum what others think.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

Some receivers (i.e. Onkyo) get to 140-150F even on the open shelf. Pioneer probably does not get severe hot like that. But it is better to have it outside of any cabinet, or on rack opened on all sides. When you choosing media cabinet consider that you are putting 500W heater there. That will be a good estimate of what you are dealing with.

I'd like to see actual measurements confirming that claim. IME its unusual for audio gear to get much beyond 120 degrees in normal use on an open shelf. I've seen temperatures that high on the test bench after testing with continuous tones, and I've seen it in closed cabinets. 120 degrees is too hot for most people to touch for long, and might get misinterpreted as being higher without confirming measurements.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Yeah, I've owned two Onkyo receivers, and they've never gotten too hot to touch, even after an all day marathon of whatever. Plenty of my friends have Onkyos and they haven't had them get that hot, either. Same with any other brand.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Old 07-23-2012, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Surface temp. isn't necessarily the same as internal temp. due to cooling. 120°F (49°C) isn't that high internally, my computer CPU can go higher.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca View Post

Surface temp. isn't necessarily the same as internal temp. due to cooling. 120°F (49°C) isn't that high internally, my computer CPU can go higher.

That's all fine and good, but also completely irrelevant to audio gear, and totally free of reliable evidence. Generally speaking it is acceptable for audio gear to run somwhat hotter than computer gear.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

How is that 'completely irrelevant' when there are processor chips, circuit boards and power supply inside a receiver, much like a computer? I have PC temp. monitors and numbers displayed on the screen, how is that 'totally free of reliable evidence'? I wasn't even specifically contradicting what you said before. You mentioned hot to the touch and I said it could be hotter inside. You just like to use words to put people down for the sake of it.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:01 AM
ap1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca View Post

That's all fine and good, but also completely irrelevant to audio gear, and totally free of reliable evidence. Generally speaking it is acceptable for audio gear to run somwhat hotter than computer gear.

Ok, next time I will play SACD loud enough, I will use IR thermometer and make a photo of it. I think it will make you to believe.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post

Ok, next time I will play SACD loud enough, I will use IR thermometer and make a photo of it. I think it will make you to believe.

That would be wonderful!