Delay or echo between TV and stereo speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-30-2012, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With the following setup, I am getting a slight delay between the audio coming from my TV speakers and the stereo speakers connected to my AV receiver. Any way to fix it?

Source/signal is broadcast TV which I pick up from an outdoor antenna - and connects to the TV via coaxial cable.

The TV (Panasonic VIERA TC-L3232C) is connected to my AV receiver (Yamaha RX-V373) via an HDMI cable (only). Both the TV and the receiver support ARC (audio return channel) so the TV audio is being sent to the AV receiver by HDMI.

The AV receiver is connected to stereo speakers.

If I listen to EITHER the TV speakers OR the stereo speakers (by muting the other source), the audio sounds like I would expect - but when I try to listen to both at the same time, I'm getting a slight echo effect presumably due to a delay in the sound reaching one set of speakers or the other.

I just bought this Yamaha specifically so I listen to the stereo speakers while watching TV, so please tell me I can make this work.

Thanks

(Hope this is the right place to post my problem.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-30-2012, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yes, Generally if the distance between source and listener for each speaker is not the same the lack of signal synchronization, combined with generally radically different source fidelity results in the problem you describe.

The simple (and best in terms of fidelity) solution is to turn off the lower fidelity TV speakers.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-31-2012, 06:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithsizzers View Post

With the following setup, I am getting a slight delay between the audio coming from my TV speakers and the stereo speakers connected to my AV receiver. Any way to fix it?
Source/signal is broadcast TV which I pick up from an outdoor antenna - and connects to the TV via coaxial cable.
The TV (Panasonic VIERA TC-L3232C) is connected to my AV receiver (Yamaha RX-V373) via an HDMI cable (only). Both the TV and the receiver support ARC (audio return channel) so the TV audio is being sent to the AV receiver by HDMI.
The AV receiver is connected to stereo speakers.
If I listen to EITHER the TV speakers OR the stereo speakers (by muting the other source), the audio sounds like I would expect - but when I try to listen to both at the same time, I'm getting a slight echo effect presumably due to a delay in the sound reaching one set of speakers or the other.
I just bought this Yamaha specifically so I listen to the stereo speakers while watching TV, so please tell me I can make this work.
Thanks
(Hope this is the right place to post my problem.)

The Yamaha receiver has an audio delay feature that may or may not address this situation.

If all else fails, bypass the receiver with the HDMI cable, and run the AVR off of one of the TV's digital audio outputs. If there are no digital outputs, connect the analog output to one of the AVRs analog inputs.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat