Surround Placement advice for 5.1 - new HT owner, pics included - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-02-2012, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all lurker here,

I have just recently purchased my first HT setup and am looking for advice on the surround placement for my 5.1 setup.

Components:
Denon 1712
Pioneer FS51 FL/FR
Pioneer C21 C
Pioner BS21 RL/RR

My living room in my apartment is approx 14 x 15, cant move the tv or couch ect, the only thing I can move is the placement of the surround speakers.

Basically, my seating postion/couch is not "centered" on the back wall - it is centered on the tv. Therefore the side walls are unequal distances apart. Approx 6.75 ft vs 9 ft. I know the reciever can correct for distance differences but I wanted to see which would be the preferred installation location.

Installed on the side walls facing each other. The pros to this is that it would look cleaner, but the speakers would be placed unequal distances from center listening position. Additionally, would there be any series negative effects of the speakers basically being installed very close to the corners of the living space?

Installed on the back wall, equidistant and facing each other. The pros would be that it is equal spacing, but would be uglier.

Is there a preferred option that would offer "superier/noticable" sound differences? Or is this system not good enough/sound differences so low that it wouldnt matter in either case?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-02-2012, 07:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevtheweb View Post

Hello all lurker here,
I have just recently purchased my first HT setup and am looking for advice on the surround placement for my 5.1 setup.
Components:
Denon 1712
Pioneer FS51 FL/FR
Pioneer C21 C
Pioner BS21 RL/RR
My living room in my apartment is approx 14 x 15, cant move the tv or couch ect, the only thing I can move is the placement of the surround speakers.
Basically, my seating postion/couch is not "centered" on the back wall - it is centered on the tv. Therefore the side walls are unequal distances apart. Approx 6.75 ft vs 9 ft. I know the reciever can correct for distance differences but I wanted to see which would be the preferred installation location.
Installed on the side walls facing each other. The pros to this is that it would look cleaner, but the speakers would be placed unequal distances from center listening position. Additionally, would there be any series negative effects of the speakers basically being installed very close to the corners of the living space?
Installed on the back wall, equidistant and facing each other. The pros would be that it is equal spacing, but would be uglier.
Is there a preferred option that would offer "superier/noticable" sound differences? Or is this system not good enough/sound differences so low that it wouldnt matter in either case?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,

First off, key to any project is vision. Do you have a concrete idea about what you are looking for?

Secondly, putting speakers in corners has a predictable effect - the low end gets bumped up. Depending on the speakers and the room, this can either be good or bad, which ultimately gets back to vision.

Thirdly, if you crank in 3 msec of delay to the closest surround speaker and crank a little extra gain into the futher one, you can mitigate a lot of the most potentially audible effects of having off-center speakers.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-02-2012, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
First off, key to any project is vision. Do you have a concrete idea about what you are looking for?

Thanks for the feedback

I'll have to admit, I really do not have any vision what-so-ever for this project. I've never really been into the audio side of a video system, but when I saw these pioneer speakers for basically $200 which had good reviews for low-end equipment and then the refurbed reciever for another $200, I thought maybe now is the time to make the jump and see what this home "surround" sound stuff is all about.

I guess what I am looking for is what the "better" sounding position would be for the surrounds given my room setup, the corners, my couch against wall, and the unequal side wall distances. The audyssy should correct for distance differences, so I guess I'm just not clear on which position would give me the better sounding result.

The surrounds would be used for movies/tv/video games, not really concerned about the surrounds for music. So I guess I would be looking for best movie experience from the 2 surround speakers given my current room/installation constraints.

I'm probably overthinking this and either position would sound good to "me", but since my wall mounts are not going to arrive until Monday, I figured I would get some additional input from the guys who know what they are doing.

Thanks again for input.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-02-2012, 04:24 PM

Liked: 11
If you can set the distance in the receiver, which I think you can do with the Denon, you should be fine either way. On the sidewalls, they might be a bit more out of the way and nobody bumps their heads when they get up from the couch.
You will have to deal with the reflections from the wall behind you and the sides, though.
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page