Rolls MB15b / ART CLEANBox Pro - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-02-2012, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I want to use my Crown XLS 1000 to power my Cerwin Vega Sub for use in my home theater setup. I have a Yamaha RX-V673 so I sent an email to the Yamaha Customer Support Team and their response was:

"The subwoofer output is rated at
SUBWOOFER (2ch Stereo, Front: Small) .................1 V/1.2 k?
Your amplifier would have to support that for inputs. "

I then sent an email to Crown Audio and their response was:

"It will work but you won’t get the amp to full rated output. The XLS has a 1.4V input sensitivity so the 1v output of the Yamaha won’t drive the amp to full output. You can get a Rolls MB15b which can take that output level to a +4dBu level which will drive the amp to full rate."

Anyone here have any experience with either the Rolls MB15b or the ART Cleanbox Pro? Any advantages/disadvantages I should be aware of or am I good either way?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-03-2012, 02:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeX View Post

I want to use my Crown XLS 1000 to power my Cerwin Vega Sub for use in my home theater setup. I have a Yamaha RX-V673 so I sent an email to the Yamaha Customer Support Team and their response was:
"The subwoofer output is rated at
SUBWOOFER (2ch Stereo, Front: Small) .................1 V/1.2 k?
Your amplifier would have to support that for inputs. "
I then sent an email to Crown Audio and their response was:
"It will work but you won’t get the amp to full rated output. The XLS has a 1.4V input sensitivity so the 1v output of the Yamaha won’t drive the amp to full output. You can get a Rolls MB15b which can take that output level to a +4dBu level which will drive the amp to full rate."
Anyone here have any experience with either the Rolls MB15b or the ART Cleanbox Pro? Any advantages/disadvantages I should be aware of or am I good either way?

You may be trying to solve a problem with zero actual real world consequences. There is an outstanding possibility that your power amp need not produce full output in order to drive your subwoofer.

The 1.4 volt input <-> 1 volt output mismatch is causing an approximate 3 dB loss which is sorta audible. Unless squeezing the last 3 dB of output from this system is a do-or-die issue, it won't matter.

Try before you buy!
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page