Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-03-2012, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 60
living room diagram3.jpg 74k .jpg file

Attached is a general layout of my living hall.

Currently, I have a 5.1 setup for my movies. While most people who stick with 5.1 are having small spaces, how does it fare in larger space like mine?
On my understanding, for 5.1 to work best, the rear wall and the surrounds should not be too far (shown by the orange imaginary line). Perhaps the rear wall is needed for dipole/bipole/monopole surround sound to reflect back and give the enveloping sound. Unfortunately, my rear wall is kinda far from my MLP. Will I benefit much from the 7.1 rear surrounds? Most blurays are still on 5.1, so I'll be using Dolby PL IIx for the proposed 7.1.

Any feedback with greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg living room diagram3.jpg (74.5 KB, 23 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-03-2012, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 105
You definitely have plenty of room behind you for 7.1... If you have the money i say go for it. If you have a receiver with audyssey I'm sure you will notice that the trim level on the rear speakers will be much higher than the rest of the speakers just because of the distance but shouldn't be an issue. I love 7.1 and PLIIx does a great job.

What speakers and sub do you have?

Shawn
post #3 of 6 Old 08-03-2012, 04:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

Unfortunately, my rear wall is kinda far from my MLP. Will I benefit much from the 7.1 rear surrounds?
Benefit much? With the back wall so far behind the seating area, you're an ideal candidate for a 7.1-speaker layout, because you'll get excellent rear-vs-side separation in the surround field.

Since your room is 16' wide, that means your side speakers will be 8'-9' from the sweet spot (depending on mounted height). With that in mind, it is not unreasonable to have your rear speakers 12' feet from the sweet spot.

The only suggestion I would make is to place your rear speakers at least 60° apart (roughly 14' spread on the back wall). to make it easier to hear stereo separation behind you (where our hearing is not so good).

Sanjay
post #4 of 6 Old 08-03-2012, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

You definitely have plenty of room behind you for 7.1... If you have the money i say go for it. If you have a receiver with audyssey I'm sure you will notice that the trim level on the rear speakers will be much higher than the rest of the speakers just because of the distance but shouldn't be an issue. I love 7.1 and PLIIx does a great job.
What speakers and sub do you have?
Klipsch Synergy B3, C2, S2 and Rythmik FV15HP.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-03-2012, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Benefit much? With the back wall so far behind the seating area, you're an ideal candidate for a 7.1-speaker layout, because you'll get excellent rear-vs-side separation in the surround field.
Since your room is 16' wide, that means your side speakers will be 8'-9' from the sweet spot (depending on mounted height). With that in mind, it is not unreasonable to have your rear speakers 12' feet from the sweet spot.
The only suggestion I would make is to place your rear speakers at least 60° apart (roughly 14' spread on the back wall). to make it easier to hear stereo separation behind you (where our hearing is not so good).
Thanks.

Currently, I have an extra pair of B3 speakers which are used for DSX Front Wide setup (not shown in the attached diagram). Wondering if it's worth to reposition them as rear speakers in 7.1 rolleyes.gif . In that case, I'll have to buy more speaker cables due to the long run...and with larger wire size, price won't be cheap. That's why I need more input whether I should sacrifice the bigger soundstage provided by DSX Wide to jump to 7.1 with better surround.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-03-2012, 06:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

Wondering if it's worth to reposition them as rear speakers in 7.1
Your second pair of B3 bookshelves are perfect as rears, since they are more directional than the S2 surrounds and will do a better job of anchoring sounds behind you. As for whether it's worth it, you'll have to demonstrate that for yourself. Place those speakers behind you temporarily (on ladders or a stack of boxes or whatever) and play a good 7.1 soundtrack, like the opening chapter of 'Transformers: Dark of the Moon'.

Sanjay
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page