Please comment on my speaker placement diagram in small bangkok media room. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-03-2012, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been lurking on here for a while and finally decided that I have to start a thread myself. Your comments and suggestions would really be appreciated as I can get little guidance in Thailand where I live and run an English school. I got a two bedroom condo and made the larger bedroom (3 x 4 M) into a theater space keeping the tiny room as my bedroom.

As soon as I set up the system i was severely disappointed after spending $ 3,000 on speakers (Thai markups are a bitch). Deep voices echo a lot and create a terrible woofing sound like a sea lion barking in a big empty garage. The seating position is the worst spot for these echos. I haven't experimented with speaker placement since the fronts are wall mounted (drilled into the cement with LCD mounts that are screwed into the cabinets... Thai installation team drilled holes and put wood screws into my brand new klipsch frown.gif ) and I have no way of moving them around.

The room is 4 x 3 meters and made of poured cement ceiling and walls and wood floor. My actual speakers are the smaller klipsch bookshelves RB 61 IIs (6.5" woofers) not the 8" ones in the picture. The center is RC 61 II (6.5" woofer). The surrounds are JBL control 25 monitors (5 1/4" woofers ) and I have one cerwin vega dual 8" subwoofer. Would upgrading the surrounds to wide dispersion improve the sound envelopment? Should I upgrade this subwoofer or use two subs? I'm willing to spend money for better sound.

In this setup the couch is right against the wall. I'm reluctant to move the couch forward for fear that the front speakers will have no room to project. On the left are sliding glass doors. I'm planning to cover the left wall with thick velvet blackout curtain from floor to ceiling wall to wall. There is also a big wall mounted air conditioner near the ceiling towards the sliding doors above the couch. I have like an unlimited amount of books (as a school owner) but not sure how to use them in this room as it's almost full already (remember its only 3x4 m). Could books be mounted on wall shelves high up, would this be easier or as effective as acoustic panels which i have no idea where to get or how to use?

Okay the condo is rented but I'm not afraid to drill holes/ paint etc. since I'll be living here for many years. No matter how much I spend on speakers (and they're super expensive in Thailand) I can't get really good sound in here. I think it's because of the poured cement room with hardwood floors and the same poured cement ceiling. What can I do to get an awesome sonic experience in this room?

This room is a big hobby project I'm going to paint it next week and any suggestions on placement and room treatment/ gear upgrades would help. I'm currently using a entry-level denon avr-1312 with no room correction or eq but seems to have plenty of power for the ultra-sensitive klipsch. Should this be upgraded soon (btw I don't like the sound of the Klipsch for music through this receiver in this room , I actually hate the klipsch sound compared to the small cheaper JBL monitors but like them for movies).

Regarding speaker placement what suggestions do you guys have? How about room treatment? I have tons of books.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-03-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 133
You should move your desk back a bit to keep the front half of the room symmetrical. Then you can put absorbing panels at the side-wall reflection points. You'll also benefit from absorbing panels on the rear wall behind your head, to reduce the strong reflections coming from that wall. In a small room like that, it's misguided to think that sound needs to "develop" over distance. Your room is making a mess of what comes from your speakers, so the goal is to minimize the room's contribution. This short article explains the basics:

Acoustic Basics

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #3 of 5 Old 08-03-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ethan. By move my desk back do you mean toward the wall with the speakers?
Would absorbing panels be significantly better than a bookshelf?
I don't have woodworking tools or knowledge to make DIY panels but there is lots of foam available in Bangkok, would foam be a good choice on the cement walls? I have lots of really thin egg carton style foam that isn't being used but i think its too light and thin (1.5")... Could I just put two layers of that foam on the back wall?
post #4 of 5 Old 08-04-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I meant slide the desk to the right to be more toward the back of the room.

Bookshelves are not acoustic treatment. So yes, you need absorbing panels. Foam is okay but it has to be real acoustic foam, and it must be thick enough to absorb to a usefully low frequency. Typical one- and two-inch thick sculpted foam is not thick enough. Flat foam should be four inches thick, and for corner bass trapping it should be thicker still. The foam you have would be okay if you place two pieces face to face to be a solid slab three inches thick.

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #5 of 5 Old 08-05-2012, 04:04 PM

I'd move those side surround speakers up to the desk (the side closest to the door) and if possible add a rear surround speaker on the back wall or two....I know people say you don't "need it" but then again I find more speaker calibrated properly to appropriate levels to offer supreme directionality. If the front stage has 3 speakers I want at least 3 speakers in the back for data in between the two surrounds that would just otherwise be equal level in both speakers which I don't like at all (unless its stereo headphones of course).
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page