Room Acoustics & Symmetry - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-03-2012, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have two questions related to room acoustics and symmetry.

1.) My stereo is setup in my living room which has hardwood floors (with a rug), windows, leather furniture, and a bit of echo. The left wall is sheet rock with a handful of pictures on it. The right wall has two windows with blinds covering them. I have a RealTraps 2x4 HF Mini Trap on a stand at the primary reflection point of each wall.

I have the option to hang heavy curtains over the windows on the right wall. I believe that doing so should alleviate some of the echo. However, I am concerned that in a room where the right wall is heavily damped relative to the left wall I might experience some imbalance in the imaging or spatial reproduction.

2.) I could likely add some bass trapping in the front left corner of my listening room. However, I can not add any bass trapping to the right front corner. I'm not really sure if bass trapping needs to be symmetrical or not.

If you've got some experience in the matter, I'd love to hear your thoughts on my two questions.

Thank you
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-04-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Room symmetry, especially in the proximity of the speakers and those wall surface boundaries between you and the speakers is vital. The general rule is dont do to one side what you cant do to the other (assuming they are equal to start with).

In your case, they are not.

Sounds like if you put the drapes up for the right wall, and take down the reflective pictures on the left wall, and put something there that has more or less the same absorption characteristics as heavy drapes (you could just put the same drapes over the sheetrock btw), then you would have some degree of symmetry.

But keep in mind heavy drapes are only going to affect high and upper midrange frequencies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rega - Apollo, Rega - DAC, Goldpoint Passive, (2) Classe CA-100 bridged power amps (350w)

post #3 of 10 Old 08-04-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Jim has the right idea - the front of the room needs to be symmetrical, especially the sides area between your ears and the loudspeakers. Can you put an attractive wall hanging on the wall to match the same in front of the windows? Symmetry with bass trapping isn't so important. Better to put it wherever you can rather than omit some places just for symmetry.

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts

post #4 of 10 Old 08-04-2012, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Winer View Post

put an attractive wall hanging on the wall
--Ethan
I can't comprehend this.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-05-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

Symmetry with bass trapping isn't so important. Better to put it wherever you can rather than omit some places just for symmetry.
--Ethan

Agreed

Rega - Apollo, Rega - DAC, Goldpoint Passive, (2) Classe CA-100 bridged power amps (350w)

post #6 of 10 Old 08-05-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

Quote:

put an attractive wall hanging on the wall
--Ethan
I can't comprehend this.

I just meant something like a Navajo rug etc, to match something similar on the opposite side.

--Ethan

post #7 of 10 Old 08-05-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:

I just meant something like a Navajo rug etc, to match something similar on the opposite side.
--Ethan
Like bookcases on one side and louvered blinds on the other?

BTW, what are those acoustic treatments sitting between the speakers? What are the absorption coefficients for those? biggrin.gif

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

post #8 of 10 Old 08-05-2012, 05:14 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

BTW, what are those acoustic treatments sitting between the speakers? What are the absorption coefficients for those? biggrin.gif
Craig

Those are very realistic puppets from a puppet maker friend of Ethans ..... smile.gif

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #9 of 10 Old 08-06-2012, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Like bookcases on one side and louvered blinds on the other?

Both sides are more or less reflective, but it doesn't matter because both the window and shelves are forward of the reflection points.

--Ethan

post #10 of 10 Old 08-06-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the tips everyone. That was kind of what I was thinking but it's nice to have another set of eyes on it.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page