Methods of Converting Component to Composite - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-04-2012, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I'm not really sure where to put this thread. Basically I want to convert a component signal to a composite signal without buying the specific playstation 2 composite cable. I posted in audio theory because i happen to have various rca jack splitters such as dual audio (red white) to single audio and what looks like dual rca red white audio to digital audio (yellow rca) connectors. Could I wire 2 parts of the component cable into 1 splitter and the third conector into another splitter an join them into a single composite cable or would the resistance of the cables/splitters prevent that. Would it be easier/possible to remove the casings of bothe the component and composite cables and just wire the 3 component cables directly to the composite video cable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 51
The electrical signaling used for sending and receiving composite and component signals is different, and the cables can't just be physically combined as you are imagining. You need a specific converter, whether from Sony or elsewhere.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Thanks smile.gif
Old 08-04-2012, 06:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 546
As Bigus correctly noted, you need a component to composite modulator/scalar. Component carries the three separate video signals. One called the luma (black and white) and two color differential signals. It can also be high definition which composite signal cannot. Therefore you need to both downscale and modulate the signals so that the color and black and white signal exist on the same wire per broadcast standard. This is a lot more work that simply tapping into the composite output of the PS2 that is simultaneously there already (and just in need of a cable). I just looked and there are some as cheap as $1.75! http://www.amazon.com/Composite-Video-Cable-SONY-PLAYSTATION-3/dp/B002TK3GYG. And http://www.amazon.com/Madcatz-MOV8215-S-video-Cable-Playstation-2/dp/B000050ZEQ. A converter box would set you back 10X more probably. So cable is your best bet. smile.gif

Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"