Connecting Harman Kardon 2.1 Analog Speakers to LG LED HDTV with Digital out - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-06-2012, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here and I'm really hoping to get things cleared up. Hardware details are as follows:

TV - 47" LG LED HDTV - http://*******/i4475 - This TV only has a "Optical Digital Audio" OUT. (No RCA out option)

Speakers - Harman Kardon Soundsticks III 2.1 - 3.5mm stereo - http://*******/odJjg

What I need to be able to connect the two and be able to listen to the great sound of my speakers. I've been searching far and wide for the solution to my problem and I seem to have some doubts about the results. I think there are 2 options.

1) Toslink to 3.5mm Adapter - http://*******/EzcQj + Toslink cable

2) Digital to Analog Audio Converter (DAC) - http://*******/84IOh + Toslink cable + 3.5mm to RCA

Firstly, is there a third option out there? The first option just seems too good to be true. If there are such adapters that work, then why would someone chose a more expensive DAC, you know? I'm just not that confident about what'll work.

Just to put things in question form - What is the best workable combination to get sound out of my Digital TV to 2.1 Analog speakers?

I hope the above details are sufficient. Please let me know in case I missed something. I am hoping you guys can clarify stuff and suggest something that can work, hopefully from experience.

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-06-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi AnDom,

Welcome to the forum.

Your solution #1 will not work. That adapter if for a standard optical connector to a 3.5mm optical connector, made for the multi-purpose 3.5mm audio-jack that Apple uses.

Your solution #2 is the correct one. There is one caveat, that may effect you (at least it effected me). My Samsung TV does not have the option to output stereo on the optical connector if the received TV station is broadcasting Dolby-Digital 5.1. It will only output the DD5.1 on the optical, but my TV also has analog-output jacks that always output stereo, so that might be the difference between your TV and mine. If that is a problem for you as well, then there are DACs similar to the one you linked to that also decode DD5.1 (for more money). It will depend on the LG. Check your menus for an option to always output stereo on the optical connector.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-06-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Solution #3.... don'tr post the same question multiple times. rolleyes.gif
post #4 of 11 Old 08-06-2012, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

Hi AnDom,
Welcome to the forum.
Your solution #1 will not work. That adapter if for a standard optical connector to a 3.5mm optical connector, made for the multi-purpose 3.5mm audio-jack that Apple uses.
Your solution #2 is the correct one. There is one caveat, that may effect you (at least it effected me). My Samsung TV does not have the option to output stereo on the optical connector if the received TV station is broadcasting Dolby-Digital 5.1. It will only output the DD5.1 on the optical, but my TV also has analog-output jacks that always output stereo, so that might be the difference between your TV and mine. If that is a problem for you as well, then there are DACs similar to the one you linked to that also decode DD5.1 (for more money). It will depend on the LG. Check your menus for an option to always output stereo on the optical connector.

Thanks for your prompt reply Mark!

So the options in my TV Menu for Digital Audio Out are - "Auto" and "PCM". Do you think a regular DAC would work?
post #5 of 11 Old 08-06-2012, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry about that Ratman. I kept getting an error that the server is busy. I never realized that I posted multiple times. Trying to figure out how to delete those threads now.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-06-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnDom View Post

So the options in my TV Menu for Digital Audio Out are - "Auto" and "PCM". Do you think a regular DAC would work?

Yes. If you set the Digital Audio Out to PCM, the output will always be stereo, and that DAC that you linked to will be fine.

My assumption is that if Digital Audio Out is set to Auto, then the output would be DD5.1 when the broadcast is DD5.1, and stereo when the broadcast is stereo.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-26-2012, 01:36 PM

I have the same Speakers - Harman Kardon Soundsticks III 2.1 - 3.5mm stereo - http://*******/odJjg

My tv is samsung lcd series 5 , 550 , what do i need to purchase to make these speakers work with my tv ?

thank you

dan
post #8 of 11 Old 12-26-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 257
You need to get a digital-to-analog converter to convert the digital output of your TV to an analog signal.

The AGPtek is $20 from Amazon and will accept either an optical or coaxial cable from the TV set.

You will also need a cable with RCA jacks at one end and 3.5 mm stereo plug at the other end to connect from the DAC to the speakers; very cheap.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-26-2012, 02:44 PM

i bought the cables and tried them without that convertor , no go ! lol ... should have guessed it wouldn't be that easy . convertor it is . thank you ..
post #10 of 11 Old 12-26-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Always keep it as simple as possible...but not simpler...lol.

biggrin.gif
post #11 of 11 Old 06-20-2013, 12:20 PM

You mean after I get the digital to analog converter, like http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY%C2%AE-AGPtek-Digital-Optical-Converter/dp/B005DIRI6I , I have to connect the RCA to female 3.5mm plug like in this link below?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-stereo-female-mini-jack-to-2-male-RCA-Y-adapter-/270401259906
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page