HT Equipment questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 08-08-2012, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking at buying a HT system and have come up with the configuration below. Im not an expert at HT systems at all and I am trying to make an educated guess as to what will be a decent system. My biggest challenge has been trying to find a center channel that does not exceed 9.5" in depth and surround speakers will be mounted on the wall and the wife doesnt want a big box speaker sticking out of the wall. These limitations are what caused me to chose the center channel and the surrounds. With this being said I need a receiver that will power these speakers and really have no clue where to start. I have looked at the onkyo 809 but dont know if its enough power for the given speakers. Can someone give me suggestions? Also is there a better speaker setup that I could chose for the price? I really dont want to spend more than what these speakers retail for. Sorry for the newb question but I would hate to spend the money and then regret it all.

Receiver: Onkyo 809
Center Speaker: Polk CSiA4
Fronts: Polk RTiA7
Surrounds: Polk OWM5
Sub: Undecided
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-08-2012, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Welcome to AVS. Take a look at post #8 of this thread--it looks like Vann's is having a blowout sale on the Energy Veritas speaker line. I personally would choose these over the Polks, and it may even save you some money. The matching center would also fit your size requirement. Also take a look around the "receiver" section as you might find a better deal than the Onkyo.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-08-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 741
^^

Yep. The Energy Veritas are some very nice sounding speakers. smile.gif You'd save a little over the Polks.

Then consider subwoofers from HSU, Outlaw Audio, Rythmik, and SVS. These are Internet direct sub manufacturers that offer excellent value for the money, often a big savings over subs from traditional speaker manufacturers. However, how big is your space? Sub performance is tied to room volume (cubic feet). A big space needs a big sub.

Finally, a $1000 receiver is not going to give you significantly much more bang for your buck than a $500 receiver. If you need to save money, that's where I'd back off a little. No need to get a near top of the line Onkyo. A mid-level receiver will do fine for most people.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #4 of 7 Old 08-08-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

^^
Yep..

Since I linked your post giving you credit that's not plagiarism, right smile.gif?

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-08-2012, 10:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Since I linked your post giving you credit that's not plagiarism, right smile.gif?

It's all good when sharing bargains on audio equipment with people biggrin.gif

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #6 of 7 Old 08-09-2012, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the advice on the Energy speakers. After browsing through the forums for many months, the one thing that I have noticed is how helpful everyone is and everyones appreciation for A/V. So thanks for all the help so far!

We will be using the HT system for mostly movies, sports and gaming but we do listen to a lot of music. So I would like to make sure that what we buy will be suitable for a variety of different uses. If I have to spend a little more to get the quality that we want then thats what will probably happen. With this said, how do the energy speakers compare to the polks?

With regards to the receiever I want ot make sure that whatever I buy will be capable to produce the sound/quality that we are looking for? Plus it would be nice to have something that would last a few years maybe through upgrades of the HT speakers. Any suggestions? Im not partial to a particular brand just want what will be best for the HT system. Sorry for so many questions.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-09-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I like the Energy Veritas better than the Polks, but then speaker choice is subjective. You'll find some people on AVS that might like the Polk RTi series better.

Here's the Energy owners thread where you can read about and ask questions about the Veritas speakers.

For receivers, I recommend looking at Denon, Onkyo, and Marantz with Audyssey MultiEQ or higher model room correction software. It will automagically apply EQ filters to your speakers and the sub once you take readings with the enclosed microphone at your listening position. Room correction software on other receivers often only have EQ filters for the speakers, and IMHO, subs can often need the EQ as much or more than the speakers do.

If you want a high model, the Denon 3312 is still on closeout (last year's model) for $799. That's very near the top of the line for Denon. Save your money and put it toward a good sub.

Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page