Help needed with speaker placement (images included) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-11-2012, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well after asking a few questions about what speakers to get, I realized that the most important thing would be the placement of the speakers within the room that I have. I know that the room makes a difference in the sound and even with the best speakers, if your room isnt set up right then they wont sound good. With this being said, I have included a couple of images that show the locations of where I plan to place the speakers. As you can see in the pictures the room is open to the dining room and has an opening on the left side (of the tv) that goes to the kitchen. The wall to the right of the TV is approx 14 ft before it hits another wall which comes out 5 ft. The ceiling is vaulted up to a loft area and is approx. 20 ft.

I had planned on getting the Energy V-6.2 Towers, with a V-5.2 Center and the V-S for the surrounds. Havent decided on the receiver or the sub yet. Will this set up produced a decent sound within the room I have? Does anyone have any better suggestions for speaker placement?

IMG_3431.JPG 2139k .JPG file

IMG_3428.JPG 2083k .JPG file

IMG_3429.JPG 2145k .JPG file

IMG_3430.JPG 2045k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3431.JPG (2.09 MB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3428.JPG (2.03 MB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3429.JPG (2.10 MB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3430.JPG (2.00 MB, 16 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-11-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Your basic speaker placement seems okay, though the speakers look to be too close together for the distance to your couch. That room is also large and is probably very live sounding, so you'll likely benefit from some acoustic considerations. Start here:

How to set up a room
Acoustic Basics

Then feel free to follow up with any questions.

--Ethan

RealTraps - The acoustic treatment experts
Ethan's Audio Expert book

post #3 of 4 Old 08-12-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Yes, bare walls + vaulted ceiling = acoustic H-E-double hockey stick. I used to live in such a house, and it was bad. The carpet is a start. Consider heavy drapes to go over the blinds. Well placed acoustic panels will also help.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-13-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked: 1143
Quote:
Will this set up produced a decent sound within the room I have? Does anyone have any better suggestions for speaker placement?

Echo all that was said about the room being very short on absorptive materials.

I would bypass carpeting, which is a horrible broadband absorber, and go right to the walls.

The place where you want to put the speakers seems to be the only logical choice.

The opposite wall has some value in terms of diffusion, but covering much of it with well-designed absorptive panels at least 4" thick could allow you to keep the bare wood floors which look cool, and would be a better broadband absorber. Then the corners by the speakers.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page