Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a problem with my set up

I am using 5.1:

Marantz NR 1403 5.1
PSB500 energy 5.0
EW-100 energy down firing sub.

I am facing with few issue.

My main purpose is for PS3/xbox 360/wii and PC connection to a small 32inch TV along with 3 monitors.

My PC is running a radeon 5850 and a DG sonar which i am using PCM toshlink to the marantz.

However, i don't like how it sound.

I tried direct link radeon 5850 with HDMI to marantz but it turn off suddenly and flicker my monitors very often enough to make me mad.

So my question is:

Should i buy a new soundcard ?

Will that make any differences if i do a toshlink on it? Will this works ? http://ncix.com/search/?Manufacturer=AuzenTech or the Xi FI higher version: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=40688&vpn=AZT%2DXFHTHD&manufacture=AuzenTech&promoid=1444

Secondly, does it matter/compare to a graphic card for audio to enough make me purchase it?

and Lastly,

I am facing a dilemma of getting rid of the marantz 1403 for an Onkyo HTRC360 (i think its a 2011 model?) just because i want the 4k upscale for my ripped PC contents, will that make the video better looking if i hook it back to one of the 3 monitor ?.

A small question: Do subwoofer blow up ? I set my subwoofer to +10 db, it feel like the subwoofer doesn't move at all...

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-13-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongff View Post

I have a problem with my set up
I am using 5.1:
Marantz NR 1403 5.1
PSB500 energy 5.0
EW-100 energy down firing sub.
I am facing with few issue.
My main purpose is for PS3/xbox 360/wii and PC connection to a small 32inch TV along with 3 monitors.
My PC is running a radeon 5850 and a DG sonar which i am using PCM Toslink to the marantz.
However, i don't like how it sound.

Is the flickering monitor problem you describe below what you are talking about when you say you don't like how it sounds, or is there some other problem as well?
Quote:
I tried direct link Radeon 5850 with HDMI to marantz but it turn off suddenly and flicker my monitors very often enough to make me mad.

That is not supposed to happen, and IME it generally doesn't happen.

I presume that you are saying that the above happens while you for example watching a video or game that you are playing on the PC?

Sounds like something is really wrong possibly broken- maybe the video card or something else in the PC, maybe the HDMI cable, maybe the cheap TV. Your best plan for diagnosis is to swap parts, probably starting with the HDMI cable as it has the lowest cost and is usually the easiest to change. There is nothing hyper-expensive in your system, in this case including even the TV. I suggest you swap parts in the order of increasing cost and difficulty of swapping. Also, try to completely bypass the Marantz receiver and hook the video card directly to the TV.
Quote:
So my question is:
Should i buy a new soundcard ?

If what you have should work, and it doesn't work you really don't have a justification for trying to change the architecture of the system. Let's say the HDMI cable is the problem. You can get new HDMI cables for under $10 if you shop around. Cables are usually the most unreliable parts of any complex system. See my point?
Quote:
Will that make any differences if i do a toslink on it? Will this works? http://ncix.com/search/?Manufacturer=AuzenTech or the Xi FI higher version: http://ncix.com/products/?

Please explain to me how an audio card will fix your blinking video problem???
Quote:
Secondly, does it matter/compare to a graphic card for audio to enough make me purchase it?

The HDMI audio circuits of a video card are usually very simple and reliable and usually have no influence on sound quality.

I'm looking at your video problems and thinking that if you resolve them, the audio might just get fixed at the same time since they follow the same path. The receiver could be part of the problem.
Quote:
and Lastly,
I am facing a dilemma of getting rid of the marantz 1403 for an Onkyo HTRC360 (i think its a 2011 model?) just because i want the 4k upscale for my ripped PC contents, will that make the video better looking if i hook it back to one of the 3 monitor ?.

The best place to do your upscaling is the PC if that is where you are playing the files from in the first place.
Quote:
A small question: Do subwoofer blow up ? I set my subwoofer to +10 db, it feel like the subwoofer doesn't move at all...
Thanks.

Yes, you can destroy a subwoofer by overstressing it. First check the wiring!
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page