Distorted speakers...NEED MORE VOLUME!!! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 32 Old 09-07-2012, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Awesome guys, thanks yet again!! I really learned something here and very much appreciate your patience! What is an OP anyway? You refer to me as that a couple times, opening poster or similar?

JHaz, brings up a good point with powered speakers, the EV model ZXA1 has a built in 800watt amp AND it's cheaper to buy two of those than two non powered EV's and an amp. Using those however presents me with another challenge! They may not be outdoor rated is one question but also how I would connect to them! They don't have regular speaker inputs only XLR, is there some kind of convertor for that? I did

After some research I can see EV has a ZX1i that is intended as an indoor/outdoor speaker, the regular ZX1 doesn't list the outdoor qualification as the ZX1i does. In addition, the ZX1i comes with brackets to mount to a wall vs the ZX1 which is setup for a pole mount. If I went with the pole mount can these speakers be mounted upside down so I could mount a pole to the eave of my roof? Rather not sit them on a pole to the patio, can't think of a way to dress that up!

Still weighing options between powered and non-powered speakers as you can see. Can one of you recommend an amp, maybe a little lesser quality (translation cheaper!) than an EV, something I could use to power the EV speakers?

Cheerrs guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 Old 09-07-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by climberpm View Post

Awesome guys, thanks yet again!! I really learned something here and very much appreciate your patience! What is an OP anyway? You refer to me as that a couple times, opening poster or similar?

JHaz, brings up a good point with powered speakers, the EV model ZXA1 has a built in 800watt amp AND it's cheaper to buy two of those than two non powered EV's and an amp.

I don't think that the ZXA1 is rated for outdoor use.
Quote:
Using those however presents me with another challenge! They may not be outdoor rated is one question but also how I would connect to them! They don't have regular speaker inputs only XLR, is there some kind of convertor for that? I

This gets complex. Since the ZXA is not rated for outdoor use...
Quote:
After some research I can see EV has a ZX1i that is intended as an indoor/outdoor speaker, the regular ZX1 doesn't list the outdoor qualification as the ZX1i does. In addition, the ZX1i comes with brackets to mount to a wall vs the ZX1 which is setup for a pole mount. If I went with the pole mount can these speakers be mounted upside down so I could mount a pole to the eave of my roof? Rather not sit them on a pole to the patio, can't think of a way to dress that up!

There is a CX-ZA1 engineering data sheet that illustrates how to mount a ZX-1 on its pole mount upside down. There is hole for a locking pin.

Quote:
Still weighing options between powered and non-powered speakers as you can see. Can one of you recommend an amp, maybe a little lesser quality (translation cheaper!) than an EV, something I could use to power the EV speakers?

I've used mine with a Behringer A500 a Crown ITX 1000 and a Crown iTX 2000. The DSP in the ITX amps can be programmed to make them sound a little zippier - add some bass and a little treble. The iTX 2000 is IME the best match.
Reply Audio theory, Setup and Chat

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page