no sound from tweeters polk R1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-19-2012, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im getting no sound from the tweeter on both speakers. I believe it's the crossover. How can I determine if it's the crossover?

Also where can I buy replacements?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-19-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 257
It seems unlikely that both tweeters went out at the same, time, but it is certainly possible if you got careless with the volume.

To find out if it IS the crossover, open up the speakers and put an AC voltmeter across the tweeter terminals, right at the tweeter.

If you turn up the sound and there is NO voltage across the tweeter, either the tweeter is shorted out or it is the crossover.

If there IS voltage, then the tweeter must be burnt out.

If there is no voltage across the tweeter, disconnect its wires from it and check its coil resistance with an ohmmeter. It should read between 6 and 26 ohms. If it is very low, it is bad. To be certain, connect a signal generator to the tweeter and turn it up to about 1 volt at an appropriate frequency to see if sound comes out or not.

Replacement parts should come from the speaker manufacturer in order to get matching parts.

If this is not possible, PartsConnexion has people who are very knowledgeable and they have an extensive line of crossover parts and can help you.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-19-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

It seems unlikely that both tweeters went out at the same, time, but it is certainly possible if you got careless with the volume.

Its more likely than both crossovers failing at the same time.

My Room
My Music
Rega - Apollo, Rega - DAC, Goldpoint Passive, (2) Classe CA-100 bridged power amps (350w)
Jenzen Next
post #4 of 5 Old 08-19-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXtwo View Post

Im getting no sound from the tweeter on both speakers. I believe it's the crossover. How can I determine if it's the crossover?

Usually, one checks speakers by disconnecting at least one terminal of the speaker driver (in this case the tweeter) and making checks with an ohm meter. Many failures that disable tweeters either cause their voice coils to open up, or to short and have a lower than expected resistance.

The usual resistance of a speaker is approximately its rated impedance or slightly below.
Quote:
Also where can I buy replacements?

The manufacturer of the speaker is your first best choice to contact. Many sell new drivers from their web sites.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-08-2014, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi - just found this post via Google search. I bought a pair of Polk R1's on Craigslist for $20 (without listening first). When I hooked them up I thought they sounded AWFUL. I quickly realized that neither tweeter was working. I opened them up, removed the tweeters to examine them, and discovered that they were seemingly dummy tweeters - they were "connected" via internal wiring from the crossover to a terminal strip on the tweeter housing, but that terminal strip WAS NOT CONNECTED TO THE ACTUAL DRIVER. It was just pressed into place in a slot in the tweeter frame, but it just lifts out and it's clear that there is no electrical connection to what appears to otherwise be an actual tweeter.

WTF???
Reply Audio Theory, Setup, and Chat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page