What cable do I need for audio? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-19-2012, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone.
I'm ordering right now from Monoprice. I've ordered a bunch of hdmi cables and speaker wire.
The tv I'm getting doesn't have ARC, and not sure if my Pioneer vsx-53 does either.
If I go stb->avr->tv , will that work okay?
A bluray player would just need a hdmi to avr, yes?
Then speakers out of the avr, and it's done?

Just asking because I read stuff about arc and if you don't have it, you need a coax cable for return sound to the avr.

I'd appreciate any help to make sure I order the correct cables.

Thanks a lot for any replies.

-Ken

KEN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Hi Ken,

If you want to use the tuner that is built in to the TV, and you want to use the speakers that are hooked to the AVR instead of the TV's speakers when you use the TV's tuner, then yes, you need a digital cable (either coax or optical) to pipe the audio from the TV to the AVR.

Other than that, you appear to be good to go.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwk1 View Post

Hi everyone.
I'm ordering right now from Monoprice. I've ordered a bunch of hdmi cables and speaker wire.
The tv I'm getting doesn't have ARC, and not sure if my Pioneer vsx-53 does either.
If I go stb->avr->tv , will that work okay?

In general, yes.
Quote:
A bluray player would just need a hdmi to avr, yes?

Yes, and that works, too.
Quote:
Then speakers out of the avr, and it's done?

Of course. Why wouldn't it work?
Quote:
Just asking because I read stuff about arc and if you don't have it, you need a coax cable for return sound to the avr.

Why do you want to return the sound to the AVR?

The way this works is that the AVR picks off a copy of the sound from the selected HDMI input and amplifies it and sends it to the speakers. It sends the video to the TV, essentially treating it like it was just a video monitor.
Quote:
I'd appreciate any help to make sure I order the correct cables.
Thanks a lot for any replies.

You need as many HDMI cables as you have HDMI signal sources and AVR inputs to hook them to. The AVR becomes your signal selector. So, you need one more HDMI cable to go from the AVR to the TV.

Note that this is not the only way to go that can work, but it is the way to go if you see the AVR as the center of your system. Your other option is to use the TV as your signal selector, and run the AVR from a digital audio output on your TV. Exactly how this works depends on your TV., as some TVs do not do as good of a job of decoding the digital audio as the AVR.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
If you use the TV's internal tuner or if the TV has apps such as Netflix, then you need to feed audio from the TV to the AVR. You can use an optical or coax cable to do that. Or, if your equipment supports ARC, you can save a cable and use the same HDMI connection that feeds video from the AVR to the TV to send audio back the other way.

But, if your TV isn't aquiring the audio itself, you have no need for any sort of audio connection between the TV and the AVR.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2